MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 12 May 2010, 20:18
rotorzoomer
Just call me: Account - DISABLED

Account - DISABLED
Australia
Smile mechmate.com search - SOLVED !!!

Hello MM builders...

As many of you are aware, the search facility on the mechmate.com website lacks the search flexibility and depth we are now accustomed to with google, yahoo and others due to the software limitation.

I have created a BETA "Custom Google Search" specifically locked down to the www.mechmate.com URL which means that only results from the MechMate website will show. Use whatever wild cards you are used to using in Google to find things and you should be surprised that it works well.

The URL is located here: www.rcbits.com

If everyone is happy then MetalHead needs to commission a website developer or spend time himself to embed this code into the forum header page under his / her own google account.

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON ANY ADVERTISEMENTS NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING ON ANY PAGE THAT APPEARS AS THIS WEBSITE IS CONNECTED TO MY GOOGLE ACCOUNT WHICH MEANS MECHMATE WILL NOT GET ANY REVENUE FROM THE ADD CLICKS!!!
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 21:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
If you look at CNCzone, as an example, you can see Google search embedded as an option under the Search button. It is fairly common in vBulletin and there are a couple of free plugins available to implement it. You can see here that I investigated it some time ago. I can't remember the exact reason why I didn't implement it, but one of the reasons was that Google only visits and indexes every week or so, and thus the last week's info won't show up on Google search.

Anyone can make Google search only in a specific site by adding site:mechmate.com with the search words.
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 21:12
rotorzoomer
Just call me: Account - DISABLED

Account - DISABLED
Australia
An even better option Gerald, i will disable the searching of that site for www.mechmate.com and will now use the site:mechmate.com xxx where xxx is the word you want to search for in the google search bar.

Old Mon 17 May 2010, 16:56
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Google now has realtime search if you supply google with a proper feed of the site.
On some sites I implemented a sitemap file and there info appears in google within 15 minutes, it's up to google however to decide how often it will index it. However, mechmate.com seems really active so I dont' expect any long delays.

Ries
Old Mon 17 May 2010, 17:00
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
The syntax for seaching is XXXXX site:mechmate.com

Example "belt drive site:mechmate.com" you can go advanced and limit the age of the search also.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read