MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 28 January 2008, 06:14
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Sean, Alan, J.R., Paul,

Thanks. It's only because of individuals like these, that I've gotten this far.

The rectangular tubing is very handy for bolting on wheels. Four bolts around the tube. I'll post a pic when ready.

Thanks again guys.
Old Mon 28 January 2008, 11:54
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
She looks beautiful Greg. Looks like you'll be cutting before too long. That machinist did a great job on the Z plate too. The holes are consisently countersunk.
Old Mon 28 January 2008, 12:38
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Doug,

It really is exciting getting to this stage of the project. My wife is also excited. She is looking forward to when I get the software (Vectric). She will have a blast designing different "things". Very artistic woman.
Old Wed 30 January 2008, 21:36
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Progress Update: Finished lowering the X rail cable guides and tray this evening. It now rides below the X rail. I like it. Will post pic's this weekend.

Tomorrow night I'll start on the Y cable tray and routing.

Electrician is coming Saturday morning to start process of upgrading my shop power to 100 amp service.

On the home front: Wife is complaining that "grog" spending to much time in shop with MechMate. Burnt out light bulbs need changing. "Grog" say that woman work. "Grog" run like the wind.
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 11:45
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Pictures

Getting close. Still allot of little things (make spring brackets, stub axle plate, counter sink some holes in Y car, etc.) May start painting this week.

Moved the X cable chain so its below X rail

mm3.jpg

Finished the Y cable chain.
mm2.jpg

Just another shot showing no visible X cable chain. Time to start cleaning up the shop and get that camper out there.
mm4.jpg

mm6.jpg

Still not happy with how the exit of the X cable chain is. It'll stay for now, because I don't know what else to do. When I figure something better, it'll change.
mm7.jpg
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 13:23
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Looking great Greg. I know you're ready to paint and run the cables. Before you paint her, you might want to think about the places you will want welded nuts. For example, look at some of Gerald's pictures. One shows the E-stop/Pause/Resume button box which is mounted on a plate attached to his car above the motor. The plate appears to be bolted on and he either used welded on nuts or nuts with nylock inserts because the sheetmetal is too thin to thread. I wish I had welded on some nuts for my cable clamps too.
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 13:56
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Doug !!

I wasn't even thinking about things like that. It's really hard at this part to slow down and "THINK". I just want blue paint and something operating. I will take some time and think about welded nuts, etc. It's actually faster in the long run.

Again, thanks.
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 14:00
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
And it looks prettier in the end too.
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 20:00
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I don't quite get the reason for welded nuts Doug - loose nuts & washers work okay?
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 20:17
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
nice looking cable chain. Funny, but doesn't that x axis set up just feel better?
Some very nice work happening in groggville. Good job. Sean
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 20:49
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
I don't quite get the reason for welded nuts Doug - loose nuts & washers work okay?
Cool. I can't wait any longer. I really do hate grinding paint in preperation for welding, so I'll start painting parts that are finalized.

Just for the record, I'm cleaning all weld splatter by scraping (per the welding experts). It really is easy and a much better job than using a "flap" wheel.

Sean, it does feel better. My work doesn't even come close to Gerald's, J.R.'s, Doug's and, oh ya, Fabrica's. But I'm learning.
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 21:32
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Gerald,

Just my personal preference I guess. I like to have welded nuts in locations where I can't see them or if they are difficult to put a wrench on.
Old Mon 04 February 2008, 09:28
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
WOW !! The coveted 4 star rating.

You don't know how long I have been waiting for that.
Old Tue 05 February 2008, 12:47
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Ordered enclosures for controls and E-stop/pause/resume along with push button operators and contacts last night.

Just finished ordering all shielded cable from Doug's source (Lapp Tannehill, Inc). Prices have changed from what Doug quoted, not bad though. Excellent service!! 3 weeks delivery.

I will order crimp tools, connectors, etc tonight.

Maybe start painting Weds. evening.
Old Sun 10 February 2008, 18:04
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
This is how I move my MechMate around the shop.

mm1.jpg
Old Sun 10 February 2008, 18:55
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
very nice idea Greg, I was thinking how to get things moving! and there u give us alll ideas !

Regards
Irfan
Old Sun 10 February 2008, 20:06
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Irfan,

I'm not as strong as J.R., so had to figure something out.

Outside my shop is dirt and gravel. Haven't tried it there yet, but that's why I went with pneumatic tires.
Old Sun 10 February 2008, 20:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
An idea from trailers:
Old Sun 10 February 2008, 20:28
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald,
Love that idea. Time to buy 4 of those too.

Northern Tool - 16 dollars each. That's cheaper than a real caster.
Old Sun 10 February 2008, 21:08
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Sean,

Paid 12 USD/ea (Northern Tool) for my casters. No jack with mine, so probably a better deal with Gerald idea.

Not a big fan of those type "jack stands". Failure point is at the wheels when used on rough ground. Check out any horse/livestock trailer.

P.S. - Looking forward to your pictures of first project.
Old Sun 10 February 2008, 21:29
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Greg, your casters seem to be made for much more load capacity. What Gerald has posted are mostly for support to the trailer when not hinged.

G' and all..... will these take care of the load of the completed mechmate?
I might just add them to my shopping list!

RGDS
Irfan
Old Mon 11 February 2008, 04:48
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Greg,
Funny how the environment we reside in ultimately dictates the machine we are building.
I see your point perfectly about using pneumatic tires for you machine base knowing your location and access to terra firma. I, on the other hand...have a nice concrete floor/driveway/parking lot between all my buildings. Also, I really don't plan on moving it more than once!
Redoing all the square, level and resurface after each move would get old pretty quick

Sean
Old Wed 27 February 2008, 21:18
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Yes sir,

I'm getting there. I finished framing up some walls and dry walling a new home for the beast. Tonight, I finished the stop blocks and ordered the prox. sensors, relay and cable ( ordered a shorter Prox for the Z, thanks). Tomorrow will finish the last little Y end stops. Friday, I'm taking off work to farm. Sat. and Sun. are for painting the beast.

Almost forgot, shielded cable came today.
Old Sun 02 March 2008, 19:29
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Little Update

Applied two coats of primer on the "little" parts using "rattle" can. Looks good.

My Harbor Freight gravity sprayer has not arrived yet. Couldn't wait any longer so ran into town and bought 8 rattle cans of primer for the table. Dumb idea (first one so far ) Took about 4 hours for one coat. It looks good, but would not use "rattle cans" for large projects. The cost in beer alone, busted my budget.
Old Mon 03 March 2008, 05:11
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
rattle cans are convienent, but that darn 2" inch spray pattern will kill ya! Glad to hear everything is progressing nicely.
Stefan is flying in to the states next week and coming by for an inspection with Nils, I hope I don't disappoint anyone :0

Its easy to think your doing a good job when their is no one else around to give you feedback!
Old Mon 03 March 2008, 05:31
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Having see Sean machine in operation, Sean is not going to disappoint anyone. I will see you on Monday. We just need a time Stefan??
Old Mon 03 March 2008, 06:20
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Have fun in sunny Fl. guys !!

Yesterday was a perfect day for painting. 80 deg F. Today ... snow on the ground

Maybe I can make a "make shift" spray booth in the shop ... Naaa, I'll just wait till Thursday. Taking off work to babysit electricians that will finish upgrading shop power. Woo Hoo.
Old Mon 03 March 2008, 06:44
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

I have to do one of those electrical upgrades also but I think I will do it myself. Nothing like a little electricity to get you body moving.

We came out of a cold and I think it will hit 80s today. Not yet HOT!!! Summer will be here soon.
Old Mon 03 March 2008, 20:38
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Nils,

I do 99% of my own wiring also. The electricians will replace/upgrade the main breaker box. An easy job, but, the pro's know the subtleties.

Update: Harbor freight gravity sprayer still hasn't arrive. Hopefully tomorrow. Today, I had a weak moment at the paint store and bought another/different high gloss top coat paint. Lets see if its worth it.
Old Mon 03 March 2008, 21:49
ekdenton
Just call me: Ed #8

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
Looks real nice Greg, looks like you should have it up and running soon.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read