MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sun 10 January 2010, 10:11
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nice looking sign!
Old Sun 10 January 2010, 14:06
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Thanks Heath,

Thanks Nils, if you go back to post 116, you can see in the second picture the aluminium square tube mounted directly to the YCar. Here is also a good view of the assembly. Post 126, pic 5.
You were absolutely right, it is not together with the Z. I didn`t want anything pulling on my Z. The plastic tube is tightened to the aluminium with two clamps which are just tighten firm enough to slide the tube up and down by hand with some effort depending of the height of your workpiece. I still have to finish the front part of the dust shoe so everything is closed up tight, you see there still a lot of mess on the table.
I had the problem cutting a 40 mm plywood, the absorbtion system did not get the chips out of the deeper areas, so I need a front piece and I have to think about an intake to create some turbulence inside the dustshoe to lift up everything...
If you need some closeups I can provide some new pics, just say so.

The sign took me 75 min with 4mm endmill for pocketing and 12mm Vbit. Size 55x30 cm.

Jason, You are probably right. Maybe I got some sec and min mixed up, I have to recheck and will come back with new numbers. My machine is set up 9000 mm/min accel 75%. I could have gone higher but I don`t need at the moment.

Greetings
Claus
Old Sun 10 January 2010, 18:50
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
How about running a compressed air line to the cutter bit and directing a jet of air into the cut to blow out the chips for removal by the dust shoe?
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 13:17
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
...finally I got some bigger job to do. I got to testing the MechMate on a 40 mm strong laminate wood board cutting out windowsills. Used a 10 mm Endmill, feedrate 3800 cm/min and 4 mm step. nothing easier than that, for the MM...
Had to start the job three times because each time the EndMill was only touching the board and lifted up again, like a probe. I said, well maybe the board is to strong and cannot be cut, until I found out that the Spindle was turning CCW!!!...there is only human error.
Outofspace.jpg
Windowsill2.jpg
Here` s also a video.

I`m working also on uploading of making some bathroom furniture...

Greetings

Last edited by Claudiu; Mon 11 January 2010 at 13:20..
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 22:14
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ah, now you are using the MM for what it is supposed to do!
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 22:33
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
Looking good! How are you holding down the parts in the center of the cuts?
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 23:01
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
The MM sure does a lot! Big and Small.
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 23:32
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Steve, I used the option in Aspire to set up tabs. About one tab every 500 mm.
Old Wed 13 January 2010, 09:52
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Hi guys,

everything worked fine until I tried to setup Mach for Proxies and Start Stop buttons.
It took me 2 full days fumbling around in Mach after setting up proxy hardware.
Now it does the homing sequence like described in many other threads.
One problem left with the proxies is that I had to set up in Mach in Homing Limits some neg and otherway around settings to have the proper direction of my x and Y moving. If I now load a GCode in the display I see my part mirrored and oposite of the table size.
Other problem I cannot zero machine cord anymore. I can only zero my work offset.

I tried everything for the last couple of days but cannot figure out why start and stop buttons are not working. The only thing that works is the e stop.

Gonna make some screenshot tomorrow of my settings in Mach, maybe you can help me along. I`m clueless.

BTW: I managed to start and stop Chinese Spindle from Mach but the Settings provided by Martin did not work in my case. I had to leave PD002 set to 0. If I put it to one its not starting. Do I have to change some other setting in Mach to make PD002 work, too?
Good night.

Last edited by Claudiu; Wed 13 January 2010 at 09:55..
Old Thu 14 January 2010, 02:14
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
...happy again.
this is the thread I was looking for and couldn`t find it.
I don`t get frustrated so fast, it`s just a process...like one shrink used to say.
Old Thu 14 January 2010, 05:20
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Patient need their dentist happy too

I could not resist to complement your dance floor lighting. I want one!
Old Thu 14 January 2010, 06:00
aniljangra
Just call me: Anil #44

Delhi
India
Send a message via Skype™ to aniljangra
Me too, need those lights ...
Old Thu 14 January 2010, 12:53
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Managed to get everything going.

1. Setup Start \ Stop pushbuttons in Config > Ports & Pins |tab: Input Signals
as OEM Triggers like this. They work well now.
Setup OEM Trigger.jpg

2. Setup Proxies in Inputs Tab like this. They work like this but I would like to know if I should also tick x++, x--, y++... a.s.o?
I can zero Machine cords and Work offsets now. Table is doing the dance.
Inputs Limit.jpg
After referencing to zero Diagnose is ok.
Diagnose.jpg

3. The Table Display looks like this now. Every workpiece made in VCarve or Aspire has to be setup with its xy0 origin like this. Then it is turned around to fit on the table in Mach. (I guess I`m sitting on the wrong side of the table and thats why it seem strange to me seeing my workpiece the otherway around...whatever)
Origin Setup.jpgTable Display.jpg

4. Spindle Setup
Spindle starts automatically with every job and stops when it`s done. I do not have to use M3 or M5 in the GCode. I`m not able to change speed though. Manual starting and stopping is also working from Mach3 via F5.
Spindle Setup1.jpgSpindle Setup2.jpg

5. Used also Keygrabber and setup Logitech FumblePad.
I can now also use it to Start / Stop. Spindle start / stop. and of course moving all directions.

TouchProbe will be my next victim....

Greetings
SNC01178.jpg

Last edited by Claudiu; Thu 14 January 2010 at 13:15..
Old Thu 14 January 2010, 22:32
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I think you should get the origin (0,0) position of Aspire, the Mach screen and your table to be in a place that is comfortable for you. All 3 of those can be adjusted/set to suit your comfort - don't make compromises there.
Old Sat 16 January 2010, 03:49
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I agree with Gerald. It makes it so much easier to have the orientation correct when you setting up jobs to be cut.
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 00:27
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Orientation done.

Now my question to some cuttings. Lets talk about yhe windowsills above.
In Aspire you have the option to set tabs in your jobs. In the same tab you also have the option to pick " exact cut ". Even with tis choice ticked, when I go on a speed like 3600mm/min I get rounded edges. How can I stop this.
Lets say its not a sharp corner but a filleted one, even then it`s cutting the roundings far before getting to the real shape.
Is the only solution slowing down the machine? I now have set accelelration to 75%.
Thanks
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 03:47
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Claus,

If your design has a square corner but when you cut the corner it is round, you have to play with CV or Exact Stop. In General Logic Configuration in Mach which one do you have picked. It sounds as though you have CV. If you have CV, you have to work with the options under CV control.

If it is CV, you have told the software that you want to maintain a constant velocity do mater what the design you are cutting. That is why you have to work with CV control. If it is Exact Stop, it will stop before it changes direction like on a sharp corner. Your speed can also affect the cut.

Create a 90 degree corner. Cut it with CV at 3600 mm/min and then change the seeing to Exact Stop and cut the corner and see what your results are.
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 04:16
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
I have read in other posts to use CV mode, and that it will be better for cutting quality. Others have reported that using Exact Stop would result in a sturdy and bumby behaviour of the machine. I´m going to try out and let you know. Thanks a lot
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 11:32
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Nils, I did change the settings to exact stop and the machine is working fine. I almost stops at each change of angle but the cuts are precise and what is more important I do not get so many miscuts as in CV mode, especially when raising cutting speed from Mach (Override). Well I`m still learning...

During cutting today I was wondering what was building up behind that suction tube... fine dust build up due to electrostatic charge. It`s intresting that even with proper grounding it is still charged and sticking to the tube?!!!
SNC01185.jpg

This is the nested layout of the cuttings I did. First I used profiling and then drilling in one toolpath. Speed set to 3800mm/min with a 6mm end mill.
SNC01186.jpg
First check of prototype if everything fits right. I guess after its glued and sanded tabs will also disappear.
SNC01188.jpg

Funny to see new titles coming up.
Greetings to all
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 11:55
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hey, you don't help me with a better title!
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 11:59
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
I`m working on it. Loved to have 48 hours a day to play more with MM besides doing real life job...
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 12:04
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Ah are those the long horn speakers??
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 12:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Claus,

Ok, what are you making? Glad I was able to help you.
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 14:10
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Quoting- Ah are those the long horn speakers??

I thought the same thing! Laminating some large speakers looks like to me. Claudiu, I think you have all of us curious.
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 21:34
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Back-load horn? This is one of my other hobby.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 00:02
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Yes you are all right. It is a backloaded Horn with a Fostex FE 168 E Sigma Speaker. The plans from which this enclosure was deviated you can find here. The one I`m working on has 135,5 height and is using this fostex mentioned above. What you see in pics is only one half of the whole assembly. I used 3 sheets of MDF for 1 Speaker !!! The amp for this one is a push pull tube amplifier which I have modified with fine caps and silverwire...
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 02:47
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Claus

Those are nice speakers. I will have to show my friend. He uses tube amplifier also.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 07:37
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Ahhh Horns, I love horns. Great to see some more speaker builders here!
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 08:28
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
May be we should have a seperate forum for MM speaker builders
I would love to create some new loudspeakers awell...

I have build electrostatic loudspeakers in the past, and did re-build my Lyric (unknown brand from a small builder in Hilversum) speaker when I moved to Ecuador.

I am thinking of building new electrostatics again....

Ries
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 08:46
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Ries
Hilversum... I lived in Eerste Nieuwstraat for 5 years. Nice town

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts