MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > The Market Place
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 16 June 2013, 19:10
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Warning: Do not do business with Wny-Supply

Just to warn others so they don't fall victim as I have!
I purchased a phase converter from Wny-Supply.
After receiving the unit I hooked it up to a Bridgeport milling machine. After about 20-30 mins of operation, the motor got so hot that is burnt out. Since the mill was new to me, I assumed that the motor was bad when I bought it. So I purchased a new motor, hooked it up. This time I kept close eye on the motor...and sure enough, in short order it started to over heat! The problem was with the phase converter! I have attempted to contact Wny-supply for the last two months, without a single word in reply! Although my emails were promptly returned when I was purchasing the unit, all attempts to even discuss the matter went ignored. I will gladly eat the cost of the unit, and will tell others of my experience to hopefully save them from going through what I have. Please be warned, terrible business practice...don't trust the company or their products!!
As a side note, I purchased a Teco VFD and have been very happy with the product!!
Thanks
Mark
Old Mon 17 June 2013, 04:10
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mark,

I have a Teco VFD from FactoryMation and it has worked very well.
Old Mon 17 June 2013, 05:28
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
That is where I purchased my VFD as well. Great product for sure.
Knowing what I now know, a VFD is the way to go.
Mark
Old Tue 18 June 2013, 04:14
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
VFD setup

Hello IMMark,
One year ago I bought the VFD from Delta (Romanian representative) and the spindle from China. I install everything as a kitchen project (as Gerald teach us) and the spindle become very hot.
The service man from Delta told me that I have a wrong setup of the VFD and he told me by phone how to setup everything and till now everything is OK.
So you should give a second look on your VFD setup.
Old Tue 18 June 2013, 14:30
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
The phase converter that I bought (sadly) from Wny-supply, was a Static Phase converter. That is the one that was not worth buying, and had no support from the company. The Teco VFD works great!! They actually both hook up, basically the same way. I am in the US, using 220v, single phase at 60Hz.
But thanks for the suggestion.
Mark
Old Wed 19 June 2013, 11:09
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
What TECO are you guys using? I have a 7300 series, but do not have a spindle to test it with yet. I want to offer a matched set and one of my kits.
Old Wed 19 June 2013, 14:09
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
I have Teco FM50, the 230v is available from 1/4HP to 3 HP (which is what I have on my mill, the 3 HP that is). I have it wired to remotely reverse motor direction and on a potentiometer for speed control.
Mark
Old Wed 19 June 2013, 15:09
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
MetalHead

This is what I am using.

TECO 7300CV AC Drive, 5 HP, 230V 3 PH Input, 230V 3 PH Output, 17.5FLA, IP20, Frame 2 (JNTHBCBA0005BC-U)

I have a square body air cooled spindle that I purchased from Dale in St. Petersburg, FL. He designed the spindle and has it manufactured in China under his specs. I paid $660 for the 3 HP spindle. He stands by his spindles. I own two of them now. I recommend him.

Post 513 is a picture of it.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...?t=794&page=13

Last edited by sailfl; Wed 19 June 2013 at 15:13..
Old Wed 19 June 2013, 21:52
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
How did you get 3 phase in? Are you wired for 3 phase in your garage?
Old Thu 20 June 2013, 02:36
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
MetalHead,

I am not in my garage. I have not been there for some time.

I ran 3 phase for the spindle.
Old Thu 20 June 2013, 15:36
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The Delta VFD that I used with my Columbo 3hp spindle converted single-phase 240VAC to 3-phase. The VFD was rated at 5HP to allow it to perform that conversion. It's my understanding that many VFDs can be fed from single-phase supplies as long as the VFD is rated at 2X the current of a 3-phase unit. Check the owner's manual.
Old Sun 23 June 2013, 18:09
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
i allmost kill my spindle. 3hp elte with a lg VFD couse i set up it wrong. after a second reading everything works fine. even see some smoke..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read