MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 12 October 2009, 20:08
weldnh20
Just call me: Dan

Othello
United States of America
Welding Table Legs - Othello, USA

Copied from elsewhere:

I started my build last weekend, this will be a monster when it's complete. I got most the electrical figured out except the transformer.Looking at pictures and all the different drawings it would be nice just to get a part number and supplier and be done.
Dan
Old Mon 12 October 2009, 20:16
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Dan,

The transformer choice depends on which Stepper Motors you are using.
I used the Antek transformer and built my own power supply because I needed two voltages(two different Stepper Motors).

If you are going with a pre-built power supply(not building your own), just tell us what Stepper Motors you are using, and we can give you some suggestions for part numbers.
Old Tue 13 October 2009, 18:59
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
John,
Did you use different size motors for the Z & Y . I was looking at th Oriental motor # PK296A2A as recommended
Old Tue 13 October 2009, 19:02
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
I got the v groove bearings today,and went over the plasma cut parts with a friend of mine.This weekend lots of stuff should come together
Old Tue 13 October 2009, 19:51
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Dan,

I used 3 USED OM motors, 1A1 with 3.6 gears. I used one NEW PK296A2A-SG7.2. I put the PK296A2A-SG7.2 on the Y-Car. The others for the rest.

Your selection of PK296A2A motors is an excellent one and this is what I would have used had I not got the chance to buy 3 USED OM motors, cheap. Many MechMate builders have used the PK296A2A-SG7.2 motors very successfully.

Have you looked at the Antek product offerings? I found them to be very helpful and the products good.
They even provided suggestions on a schematic for a dual voltage power supply design.
Old Tue 13 October 2009, 20:44
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
John,
Why is it necessary to cut the angle iron down, I purchased 3x2 angle and couldn't figure out why cut. if the z moves up and down whats it matter.

FAQ candidate
Old Tue 13 October 2009, 20:50
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
Haven't looked at power supplies and transformers again. I'm excited about putting all the parts together and pushing it around. I need to study and research motors, transformers,and software a bit before I go blow 2k
Old Wed 14 October 2009, 00:29
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
If the tracks are not cut down to the specified height, the motors will not swing low enough to reach the racks. To make that work you would have to change at least 7 other components to suit the higher track. Higher tracks would also possibly allow more movement/flexing. Trust us there is a reason for everything being as it is...
Old Wed 14 October 2009, 07:07
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Dan,

Okay, Alan answered the question about cutting down the rails while I was sleeping. Thanks Alan.

And regarding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldnh20 View Post
... I need to study and research motors, transformers,and software a bit before I go blow 2k
EXACTLY! And also, when you assemble the Control Box and start testing, you will know exactly how it is all supposed to work. If there are problems, you will be in a much better position to troubleshoot them.
Old Wed 14 October 2009, 17:44
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
Thanks guys, I understand. I'm going to try and use my plasma to cut the angle down. Then make a grinding jig. I was wondering how come everyone uses hard stone for grinding instead of a flap disk. Flap disks cut faster and smoother
Old Wed 14 October 2009, 19:23
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Someone here tried to have the rails cut down with plasma and just ended up with useless warped rails.
Old Wed 14 October 2009, 19:45
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
Heath,
I'm surprised, I'll try on a piece of scrap first and see. Otherwise I will just use a cut off wheel.
Old Thu 15 October 2009, 10:34
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Plasma Vs. Cut-off wheel

I used the cut-off and the angled skate for the 45 degree cuts and had no problem with either. The cut-off wheel went very quickly and was very accurate (assuming you have a solid, flat base on which to place the sled) and the angle grinding went well once I figured out the need to have the leading edge of the grinding wheel as the contact point. BTW - I angle ground my Z-plate this weekend using the same system - no problems. Hope this helps

Joe
Old Thu 15 October 2009, 20:23
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
Thanks for the help guy's. I'm amazed at how much information is available on this site. I took a 3 day weekend to start putting together all the money I spent. Have to keep telling my wife it's not a toy. Don't think she's convinced. Over the years it's getting harder to convince her.
Dan
Old Thu 15 October 2009, 20:45
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hen….lucky you, you still able to convince her a bit..... nooooot here
Old Thu 15 October 2009, 22:28
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
When you start producing things for her, it all falls into place...so just wait until you are making dust.
Old Fri 16 October 2009, 19:41
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
Started welding today. Made first mistake of many to come, Cut the frame out jigged it all then started tacking together. Brainstorm,wondered if a 4x10 sheet of plywood available. Well 50 mile trip to town later and it's a problem to get, Cut the tacks off now it will be cut area of 4x8. I'm sure it's overbuilt but I had some off the material left over from a job. X rails are 3X8x3/16 square tube.
Old Sat 17 October 2009, 16:55
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
Started welding the legs in place today, should be able to flip it over on sunday. While doing some touch grinding I realized that a hard stone will be better to grind the rails. A flap disk will flex a bit and may cause an uneven surface. I was wondering, people talk about gluing the spoil board to the base board. When the spoil board needs to be replaced how do you remove it?
Old Sat 17 October 2009, 20:38
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The spoil board wears away with time. When it gets grubby, you take a light cut over the whole surface (called "re-surface" or "surfacing") and so it gets even thinner. When you get near to the old glue line, you re-surface and glue the next one on top.

(FAQ candidate)
Old Sun 18 October 2009, 14:34
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
Legs are on, so far everything is holding square
Old Tue 20 October 2009, 16:09
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Re: the Spoilboard - Has anyone tried using the same double sided tape used for the racks to hold down the base board onto the cross rails? Would this work? (Assuming the cross rails are welded for stiffness rather than bolted) Just a thought
Old Tue 20 October 2009, 23:00
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I think it will work well if you can get a good bond between the tape and the board.
Old Sun 25 October 2009, 15:42
weldnh20

Othello
United States of America
The table construction is complete. Just waiting for the formed parts then will start on the gantry Y car. I want to order the PC this month. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old Sun 25 October 2009, 18:13
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
I bought a used Small Form Factor PC from these guys.

It came with XP Pro and was ready to run. In addition to the price of the machine I paid shipping and taxes (they are located in Texas) for a total of $114. It arrived a couple of days after I placed the order.

The computer is shown in this post from my build thread.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read