MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 11 April 2008, 14:20
dmoore
Just call me:

M5 10 160 A & M5 10 200 A Motor Mounting Bolts

From drawings M5 10 160 A & M5 10 200 A, part description 11:

These "M6 X 16 Allen Head Cap Screw" appear to be the bolts used to attached the motor to the motor mounting plate. If so, could a note be added for the optional geared motors (PK296xxx-SGx) that these items are not required as your motor will ship with 1/4"-20 "cap head" screws, with included lock washers.

Here is the spec sheet from the motor:

Here is the instructions stating the proper bolts are included (see "screws (included):

It also appears there is a US/inch version and a worldwide/metric model.
Old Fri 11 April 2008, 21:44
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The absolutely most important thing to watch in the above info is the Depth of gear motor mounting tap. If the screws are slightly too long, they can damage the alu casing of the gearbox. If they are too short, they will strip the alu thread. That is why OM supplies the screws with those motors.
Old Tue 15 April 2008, 23:44
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Geared motor mounts not working with carrier plate?

Hello,

We are having problems with the slotted holes on the near and far carrier plates (1020451PA, 1020452PA) lining up with the upper mounting holes of the motor mounting plate (M510314PB). We are building the mamba version with geared stepper motors. Did we miss something?

Thanks,

Attachment 1172
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor mounting issue.jpg (12.9 KB, 522 views)
Old Wed 16 April 2008, 02:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks Justin, you have spotted a bad (not fatal) slip on my part. The slots are for revA of M510314P.

What happens there is that the geared motors are supplied with 4 cap screws. The heads of the supplied cap screws need some space and hence the slots. I forgot to address the slots when rotating the motors to keep the dust out of the cable entries. (The two grey dots).

Thinking back further, I was probably thinking to delete the slots altogether, because the grey dot position is a nasty place to notch the gantry or the y-car.

The "cure" is to dump two of the screws supplied with the motors and replace them with countersunk cap screws of the same nominal length. Which means the new screws will appear to be slightly shorter.

Drawing changes needed:

a. Need a M5 10 314 D drawing added to the pack to show the countersinking (too scared to look now if there are left & right hands involved)

b. Slots need to be deleted on 10 20 451, 452 and 10 30 450.

c. Motor assembly drawings need revision.

Sorry guys.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Clipboard01.gif (3.8 KB, 521 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read