MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 05 February 2010, 07:09
DEANGAMBLE
Just call me: dean

chester,wv
United States of America
New to the site

Hello every body!

New to the site and wanting to find out as much as possible about building a new table. I previously owned a plasmacam 4 x 4 table sold it a few years back and now wanting to build a better table. I am not sure about how this table works, what is needed, what type of software to run, etc. I used to own my own fabrication shop but was forced out of business do to the economy in my area. I am presently a certified welding inspector and I am looking to start fabricating again in my spare time but would like to include wood working also. If any one out there can guide me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I need something (software) that is user friendly and fast to learn. In turn if I can help anybody I will try to the best of my ability
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 07:23
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Dean,

Welcome to the Forum.

The best advice we can offer now is read, read, read. The amount of information here is enormous. It can be overwhelming. Good luck.

Looks like you are almost in Ohio and almost in Pennsylvania, but still in "God's Country", West Virginia.
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 07:55
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Welcome Dean. I was born near you in Pittsburgh... any steel left in the area?
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 08:07
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome Dean, Building the table will not challange a person of you background, there are electronic, electrical, software & most of all the the CNC machining know how. but that shouldn't discourage you as this forum is a treasure trove of such knowledge Keep reading, reading and more reading.
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 12:27
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome Dean - Like everyone says. Read a lot. We are out here if you want to just dive in and learn as you go. A lot do that and have nice machines to show for it.
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 13:04
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Welcome Dean,

There is a lot of choices out there for software.

You will need a Cad, Cam and Controller

Cad = is pretty easy to find and some are easier that others to use.

Cam = this can be pretty difficult especially if you dont know what you will be cutting out. I use and would recommend Vectric's Vcarve program. Easy to use and get the results that you want. There is some limitations but nothing you cant live without.

Controller = I have only used 2 so that is all I can comment on but you will want to look up Mach3 and also EMC2. Mach3 has a huge following and a forum to ask questions. There is also Videos that show you how to setup the software to control the motors. EMC2 is free and once you find the stepconfig file it is easy to setup even easier that mach3 but that is my opinion.

Russell
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 22:54
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
cambam is a decent cam program. although it isn't a 3d cam, it is a good start for the price.

http://www.cambam.co.uk/

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read