MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 15 November 2008, 05:38
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Purchased MechMate #42 - Columbiana, AL

My First Post !!!

Hello all I am totaly engrossed in this forum !!! I am getting the info together to join the MM crew !!! I have a complete Plasma System from Dynatorch because of the quality they provide. I am totaly excited at the quality of the MM as well. I just wanted to post my painting process to show what you can do without using a spray gun. It used less than a quart of Red and Less than a quart of primer. All my high tech tools cost about $3.00 US. . No I don't have brush marks. Paint Job is tough and very clean looking and clean up involved me walking to the trash can and pulling the roller off and tossing it, my gloves and elcheapo paint brush in the trash.

I cleaned the metal with paint thinner (Well ventalated area) .

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...eum#post270003

I will be wanting to talk to the person who has the contact in Alabama for the Laser Cut parts. I am also in Alabama so I can go pick up the parts. (Sorry Guys )

Also can any of these parts be cut with my Plasma considering the slight bevel that is on the cuts with plasma?

Mike
Old Sat 15 November 2008, 11:03
jbmclain
Just call me: Joe #42

Birmingham, AL
United States of America
Laser Cut Parts

Mike, I was just going to post that I should be getting a batch of parts on Monday! I wish that I had a set of parts ready, because I'm headed to a wedding in Montevallo.
I will send you a PM when I get them back from the fabricators.

Joe
Birmingham
Old Tue 09 December 2008, 22:27
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Reading away !!!

Joe - man you were not kidding when you said all the info is in here. I am starting to source my parts. We have great suppliers here in Birmingham. So we need to check before we ship in stuff.

"Big" (Not really) city advantage.. Others don't think you have to order everything. Shake the trees and you may find great sources locally... I did (eeeh hmm Laser cut parts for example) .

But I also am working a line on the drive motors out of a city near by. I am also going to try to find my rack local.

Joe we have Mayer Electric (http://www.mayerelectric.com) Ack Electronics (They rock) Old School Tech Heads in there... http://www.acksupply.com/

And Motion Industries http://www.motionindustries.com/

Factory Mation and McMaster are in Atlanta.

So reading still and parts collecting has commenced!!!
Old Sun 21 December 2008, 18:48
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Motors Order

Well I ordered the PK296A2A-SG7.2 (Got that number memorized ). I have some more tools coming for my shop that will slow my build a little, but I am going to finish My control box first.

I am liking Irfan's Control box design. These NEMA 1 enclosures are high ... I am going to keep my eyes pealed on E-Bay for one close. Still thinking on that one.

I also figure I'd get he Motorcycle pic in early. 1986 VT100 Honda Shadow. Yes it is 22 years old.

I will be ordering the rest of my control electronics this week so I can get the kitchen table (shop bench) project working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1986 VT 1100.JPG (88.9 KB, 1532 views)

Last edited by MetalHead; Sun 21 December 2008 at 18:53.. Reason: Adding picture and fixing my crummy spelling :)
Old Sun 21 December 2008, 22:18
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Wow 22 years...must be one owner to look after it that well.
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 15:07
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Parts Ordered

Ordered my Gecko Drives 203V, PMDX-122 and purchased Mach 3 today. I also went and searched some more for an enclosure. Found a 24x24x10 that hase a screw panel cover for $87.00 US. But I am still thinking I have enough stuff in mt shop to build something.
Old Wed 24 December 2008, 17:42
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Control box figured out

This is cool - I wanted a stand and was not wanting to get to crazy with the enclosure so I came up with this while at Tractor Supply today. This is a 36x18x18 heavy truck box (like fits under a flat bed or trailer) with gasket sealed door. I just marked in 1 inch from the edge and lined my casters up on the end, drilled 16 holes and bolted them on. Then I just stood it up.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

Regular 259.99 it was priced at 219.00 and then I got 15% off that. Casters were $56.96 plus a few bucks for bolts and washers. $245.53 US was the total. This gives me room to mount everything and have a workstation. With the casters (4 inch no mark casters) it came to about 40 Inches tall.

I will paint it Ford Blue MechMate Blue(Tractor Supply has a great paint area for tractors) after I get the rails in it for my PC and all the plates mounted with the electronics.

This is a nice heavy box with tons of room.
Old Fri 26 December 2008, 16:17
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
BOB Arrived

Got my BOB today PMDX-122. Now I have main parts in the channel I gota go research wiring types.
Old Mon 29 December 2008, 21:40
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Motors

Got my motors today. SG7.2's .. Still tracking my 203V and figuring out the rest of the control box pieces.
Old Tue 30 December 2008, 09:04
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Power Supply

Talk to John at Antek today. I ordered the PS-4N48R12 for my system.

This PS is not listed on the site, but I think it will work for the OM SG-7.2 motors. The 48 is on the high side of the numbers for voltage, but I want to see how it does. If the motors get to hot i'll figure someting out..

Gerald where were you measuring the 45/48 VDC? On your PS output before the Gecko's or on your motors after the Gecko's?
Old Tue 30 December 2008, 09:13
jeffa
Just call me: Jeff

Iowa
United States of America
Mike,

Just as a comparison, I ordered the PS-5N42R12 from John at Antek. The voltage is a closer to the 39.2 for the SG-7.2 motors. $123.

Regards,

Jeff
Old Tue 30 December 2008, 10:01
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Yeah I had that one picked out also, but I was wanting to push the edge a little based on the reading I have done... I will see if this was a reasonable choice...
Old Tue 30 December 2008, 11:32
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
The 48 is on the high side of the numbers for voltage, but I want to see how it does. If the motors get to hot i'll figure someting out..
Simply change the gecko's resistor to drop the current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
Gerald where were you measuring the 45/48 VDC? On your PS output before the Gecko's or on your motors after the Gecko's?
Over the fat capacitor.
Old Tue 30 December 2008, 11:44
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Gecko's Arrived

Thanks Gerald - This one is a stock PS from Antek. So I should be good then.

I got my Gecko's today. I am going to round up a heat sink and back board now.

The box of goodies grows !!!
Old Thu 01 January 2009, 06:01
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Met at Joe's

Got to go to Joe's again and get some of his extra parts. Man ya'll need to give him a hard time until he posts some pictures (I just started ).

He has a lot done and a very nice setup going.

I now have my DIN rail and a box full of DIN components. So now I gota get my backer board and the rest of the switches and knobs......

I agree with someone elses post that this thing is addicting .

I enjoy all of the information and the realization that any of us can do automation technology with good plans and a good support forum like this one!!

Thanks again all and hope we all have a good year !!!!
Old Tue 06 January 2009, 05:19
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Power Supply Arrived

I now have my Power Supply. I'll get a " My Goodies" picture up soon. I have a few knobs and DIN switches to order. I have an old PC Identified for the project as well.

One cool thing I got from Joe that I have to share is on the rails he needed to level them. He got a Body Shim kit from Harbor Freight for 6 dollars.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93754

Took the shims and a string to get his rails nice and true.
Old Sat 17 January 2009, 07:03
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Makin Parts

Ok I am building parts now. This is my starting point M1 30 224 T. Not so pretty, and I may have underturned the bearing mount.

I do have a question. The .80 "shaft" section. Does it need to be turned or would be ok to leave it "as provided" in a 1" piece of stock ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03450.JPG (49.8 KB, 1193 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03455.JPG (57.0 KB, 1197 views)
Old Sat 17 January 2009, 07:36
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Mike, that 0.8" diameter could hit the bottom of the Y-car if it is not turned down. (Depends on your rack height and thickness of the tape)
Old Sat 05 December 2009, 10:53
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Finally collecting some more parts. Been helpin Joe with his build and getting his Computer and Controller workin. We did the Pen test drawing. Ran the demo Mach Code of the Road Runner and the machine did fine. He is all labled up and just had some issues with his spindle.

If I post a short video won't he be able to get his SN ????

I got the V Bearings (W actually ) and the Y-car Bearing.

I am also making Bushings for the Spider.
Old Sat 05 December 2009, 12:48
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mike

Sounds as thought he just needs to cut some thing. But I don't make the rules. Way to go Joe...
Old Sat 05 December 2009, 13:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Even a picture of a pen test drawing gets a SN.
Old Sat 05 December 2009, 19:52
jbmclain
Just call me: Joe #42

Birmingham, AL
United States of America
#?

That is nice to know. I smoked my spindle, so I'm not able to make dust at the moment.
Ill try to post a video tomorrow.
Old Sat 05 December 2009, 20:15
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Gerald hats off on this fine design. My pile of parts grows, so I'll be looking for a SN soon !!!

But here is Joe's Table (Cool Blue !!) Logo'd up and running the famous 1000 lines Mach3 Road Runner !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3V4LlR82I

Another Short One. I'll get another one once we get the Spindle going !!!

Exciting stuff for sure !!! Gota Love that glitter !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts2goSLVRVM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logo and Wires.jpg (69.1 KB, 951 views)
File Type: jpg Cool Car Mach View.jpg (55.3 KB, 954 views)
Old Sun 13 December 2009, 17:51
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Been playing with the lathe the last few days. Started the blanks for the support base. These still need the bevels cut on them and only the first two or three are drilled through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bearing Support Base.jpg (52.1 KB, 875 views)
Old Tue 27 July 2010, 19:05
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Funny,
Blue paint, looks complete but still no serial number or pics of something cut.

Sorry Mike, could not resist a bump on this thread.
Old Tue 27 July 2010, 20:27
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Ha - That is actually Joe's machine ...
Old Wed 28 July 2010, 17:50
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Hey Mike,

What's the status on your MM? How much left before you finish it up?

Travis
Old Thu 29 July 2010, 05:48
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Well .... .... I would consider it a work in progress. I was collecting parts and got a little carried away and went and bought the farm (This forum) so I am not making much progress on my build yet. But I do have things in the works.
Old Tue 19 October 2010, 05:56
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
MechMate #42 Purchased

Hello all!! - I just wanted to let you all know I have purchased MechMate #42 from Joe. He has picked up a bigger machine and needed the room. I have been so busy doing work and the forum I figured this was the best way to get to a completed machine. It has a water cooled spindle and is built to the standard spec size from the plans. The control box is a little different. It has a PMDX 135 control inside. I am going to detail it here once I get the machine in its home. My space is getting real tight in my shop at the moment and I have to shed some old projects and junk to make room for #42.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04609.JPG (76.1 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04610.JPG (59.6 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04611.JPG (63.4 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04612.JPG (85.3 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04613.JPG (95.3 KB, 439 views)
Old Tue 19 October 2010, 08:01
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Mike! So what kind of machine is Joe getting now then?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read