MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > The Show Room
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 10 February 2015, 20:48
st_indigo
Just call me: Philip.X.Diaz #123

Los Angeles, CA
United States of America
Folding Lounge-y Beach Chair

New Project!

A test run of a folding, lounge-y beach chair. A work in progress, but still good enough to share.

I cut this one with a 1/4 inch spiral upcut end mill using 3/4 inch Cherry plywood from Home Depot. Definitely not the best quality - it had a few voids and some light splintering on the inner plys, but it was what I had available at the time and was good enough for testing the fit of the parts. Final version will be Appleply or similar hardwood plywood.

Parts were milled, sanded and then rounded with a 1/4 inch roundover bit on the router table, which made assembly convenient since the rounded horizontal slats then fit perfectly into the milled recessed areas with the inside radiused corners. No need to "dogbone" the holes!

Two 3/8" bolts hold it all together but are quite ugly and will be replaced with a continuous hardwood dowel on the final.

Finish is an oil based polyurethane.

I created a layout to make the parts for five chairs from one sheet of 48 x 96 x 3/4 inch plywood. I'll post the vector file in the DXF Library forum section and also attach here so y'all can make some for yourselves.

Attached Files
File Type: zip 5x_lawn_chairs_48x96x0750.pdf.zip (18.8 KB, 68 views)
Old Tue 10 February 2015, 20:49
st_indigo

Los Angeles, CA
United States of America
Keep in mind that these are pretty low to the ground and won't work well for regular seating. Beaches, picnics or lawn seats at a concert would all be perfect uses though.
Old Wed 11 February 2015, 08:29
st_indigo

Los Angeles, CA
United States of America
Forgot to add - the original design came from craftsmanspace.com/free-projects then redesigned for CNC cutting by me.
Old Wed 11 February 2015, 20:19
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Very cool. Nice work sir.
Old Fri 09 October 2015, 03:09
ittichai
Just call me: it

bankok
Thailand
very cool.....

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read