MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Troubleshooting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 14 June 2012, 14:44
silverdog
Just call me: Sergio #70

Rome
Italy
MechMate going crazy (picking up interference from motors, etc.)

After several hours of work with incredible tolerances my mechmate started to go totaly crazy losing steps on all the axis (few steps in some minutes).
It's not the fist time, but never on all the axis. The machine worked continuosly for 4 hours perfecly.
Now what was the only difference since all day ? I started watering the garden !
When the water well pump started the mechmate begin to go crazy, turnig off the pump and the mechmate started to work flawlessly !
Does the mechmate don't like the garden ?
I think that some random problems I had have similar explaination (turn hand router on, bench saw ... etc.
Now I have to investigate the cause. I'm inclined to think about radiofrequency disturb from other electrical motors .... or a voltage drop in the line caused by excessive absorption (which is easier to check with a multimeter).
By the way I had some times ago a recurring problem where the mechmate was also going crazy, but only on the Y axis, the problem became more frequent with time, the axis sometimes was going in the opposite direction even when I was moving it with the keyboard or joystick. the problem was a bad contact in the gecko green connector of the y axis, but it was not a loosing screw, it was the "spring" inside the connector so it was a bit more difficult to find for me.
Maybe my experience can help somebody else with similar problems.
ciao
Sergio

Last edited by silverdog; Thu 14 June 2012 at 14:45.. Reason: errors writing
Old Thu 14 June 2012, 23:26
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Sergio if it goes crazy again Shoot it !
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 00:17
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Who ? the water pump or the mechmate ?
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 00:58
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
You probably have a ground connection somehwere for your electrical installations. If this is not sufficiant enough, it will kickback and give alot of interferrance. I know poeple who had to install a longer ground connection, or even 2 or 3 more to get a good enough ground connection.

So check that out, it sounds definetly like a problem that can be fixed.
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 01:16
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Thanks Kim, actually the mechmate is not ground connected even if all the cable are ready, don't know about the water pump (but for his nature I think it is naturally connected ).
I will do the ground dispertion for the MM. I also thought installing an UPS to avoid any voltage drop.
In any case, knowing the problem it will be fixed.
Thanks
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 01:29
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
Well there's your problem then. Without a grounds connection to your mechmate, then interferrance will kick in when something else that sends out noise is activated...

If you have made all the onboard ground connections on your mechmate, why have you not connected it to ground in your installations..?
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 01:44
silverdog

Rome
Italy
'case I wanted to do a new ground dispersion well near the MM ... but like many other things it remains a project

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read