MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Troubleshooting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 28 December 2011, 10:11
kalimero
Just call me: kalimero

buffalo
United States of America
Gecko 202 resistor ???

Hi,
I have ncpod board gecko202 drivers , power supply 24v/6A and motors;

Model # 24H290-35-8B

Bipolar Serial specs
- 2.5 A/phase
- 2.4 ohms/phase resistance
- 8.4 mH/phase inductance

Bipolar Parallel specs
- 5.0 A/phase
- 0.6 ohms/phase resistance
- 2.1 mH/phase inductance

I like to use bipolar parallel setting but I don't know what resistor I need to buy.

Thanks for any help.
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 12:53
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
A 100 K to 120K 1/4 Watt resistor will work.

47 X 5 Amps / (7 Amps - 5 Amps) = about 120K
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 14:41
kalimero

buffalo
United States of America
Thanks
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 19:48
kalimero

buffalo
United States of America
What is reason that motors are very hot and they not working at all?
Old Thu 29 December 2011, 09:07
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Stepper motors can become very hot (up to 80-degrees C or 176-degrees F). The G202 has an Option Jumper Block, where you can jumper the drive to go into auto current reduction 1-second after the motor stops. Auto current reduction reduces the current being drawn by the motor to 33% of maximum. It also reduces heat in the drive and in the motor substantially.

Verify that you are using a heat sink capable of keeping the G202's case temperature below 70-degrees C (158-degrees F).

Before I can help you with the no-motion problem, I need to know which break-out-board you're using and what software (Mach 3 or other) you're using.

The common terminal (pin 10) needs to be connected to +5VDC. Each time you momentarily touch the step terminal (pin 9) to ground, the motor should make one step. It takes 2,000 steps for one revolution, but you can usually feel the shaft turning and you can usually hear the motor making a step.
Old Thu 29 December 2011, 09:56
kalimero

buffalo
United States of America
I have ncpod board and mach3. I connect all wire in order but my problem is:
I don't know how to setup motors in mach3.
Gecko temparature is OK.

If any one can help me to setup , if I need to pay I will pay for that.
Old Thu 29 December 2011, 19:32
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The documentation for the NcPod is very limited. Without using a meter or an oscilloscope to verify the polarity of the signals, I would hesitate to make any suggestions. The documentation shows +5 and -5. Normally there would be +5VDC and Ground. I'm assuming that there is no -5, but without checking I can't be sure.

The G202 requires that common be tied to +5VDC and that the actual step is activated by pulling step signal to Ground for a very brief period.

Mach 3 can be configured to supply either a rising or a falling signal. Until the NcPod is correctly connected to the G202 modules and until Mach 3 is properly configured, nothing will work as expected.
Old Thu 29 December 2011, 19:40
kalimero

buffalo
United States of America
I just install everthing and look that motors turning but very slow and they have very high tone when they just stay with power on. Mash3 manuel is big and I already read twice, but still don't undenstand even 20%.

Thanks for your help.
Old Fri 30 December 2011, 09:31
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
This would be a great opportunity for someone who uses Mach 3 regularly to help Kalimero understand motor tuning and steps per inch. (I've got to rebuild my Windows XP machine, so I don't have access to Mach 3 at the moment.)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read