MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Troubleshooting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 16 November 2011, 19:11
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Drive tension spring too tight?

Recently a thread discussed using rubber bands, zip ties or what ever else to tension the MechMate drive motors to the rack. This had me think that "what if it's too tight" ? What if the motors have too much direct tooth pressure and not enough movement within the engagement to "find a comfortable mesh".

I visited a machine locally that had begun to show signs of chatter and restriction of movement on the x/y change during curve and circle cutting. This is usually the sign of the everything beginning to loosen up. A grub screw, a bearing hold-down, a motor pivot shaft - something. This machine was what appeared perfect.

What I found was the machine, over time, actually tightened up some, and was restricting the gentle (built in the design) anti-backlash performance of the machine. What we found was that the too tight spring, the slightly tight adjustment bolt/nut on the swing plate and the slightly to snug motor pivot point caused the machine to make noise, shutter on transition and expose inaccuracies.

Moral of the story....sometimes loose is good.
Old Wed 16 November 2011, 22:49
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Like a happy tappet on a V-8
Old Sat 19 November 2011, 04:39
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
It was my machine and the difference in springs and removing the plastic washers helped in the performance of my machine.

Thanks again Sean.
Old Mon 05 March 2018, 12:42
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
I think I just experienced this. Springs to tight cause chattering and racking.
Old Fri 09 March 2018, 13:20
ifffff
Just call me: Ivo #38 & #130

Parnu
Estonia
Well.... intresting. I have on my MM drive tension springs taken from car drum brake pads. And for installing installing them i need lock pliers and lots of force. And i changed weaker springs for them because of chattering...
Old Fri 09 March 2018, 17:29
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
I loosened my springs and it helped greatly with the racking problem. My speed setting was way to high as well. Now it moves smoothly.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read