MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 14 June 2012, 14:09
keithstanley
Just call me: Keith

Flintshire
United Kingdom
Not wishing to embarrass you but what where you doing wrong?

Perhaps if you share you might save someone from making the same mistake......

Thanks
Old Thu 14 June 2012, 18:46
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
It was a few things, mostly laziness.

I don't even know were to begin the downward spiral of this mess.

The excuses.......

Normally I have the MM computer on my home network so when I complete a file I just hit save on my laptop and the cut file shows up on the MM computer. I haven't had to transfer a file with a USB Dongle for years.

I don't have a single piece of furniture in the house. So most of my computer work is happening on the floor. Next week I will have my comfy desk and chair.

And what happened......

My brother asked me to do a rush job for him. He is a log cabin builder up north and needed a few jigs made. He has taken a few CAD courses over the years and I feel he is capable of making a great files. He told me the dimensions over the phone and after squaring the machine I cut them out. Well they didnt come out the right size. I immediatly thought the machine was the problem and not the file my brother sent me.

Having the computer sitting on the floor and me being lazy I didnt look at the files dimensions closely. With the file zoomed all the way out the dimensions my brother gave me over the phone look correct. I also have never had a single problem with my brothers files he has sent me before and I just took his word for it.

Being even more lazy I didnt make a new file I just kept reusing the jig file and well getting the same results. This is mostly because I didnt want to draw another one on the floor and really didnt want to use the usb dongle (I dont have a usb plug on the front of the computer only the back)

So long story short, my brother forgot to tell me he included a little bit of clearance for his file. I was lazy but in the end I tuned up the machine very nice.
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 01:15
keithstanley

Flintshire
United Kingdom
Thanks for posting that explanation Russell!

Let that be a lesson to all of us!
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 05:08
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Yeah - Never trust family !!!
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 13:42
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
So, your machine was spot on! Just cutting "nominal" sizing! LOL
Great story.
Old Fri 15 June 2012, 16:20
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
Yeah - Never trust family !!!
Never again. No one will be trusted..........
Old Sat 07 July 2012, 18:27
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Figured I would do a little update. Been busier than ever between work and cutting things out for people. Nothing has been worthy of posting up here.

I have begun to paint the cut outs that I did for my own nursery. I really hate painting and I feel it is almost a punishment. I will say that the airbrush set that I picked up has made this more enjoyable. I started with what I think will be the hardest so far. The snake required 5 different colors and a lot of tapeing off. Here it is finished besides me wiping up a couple of finger prints. Pictured is also the lion in its first coat stages. Tomorrow I hope to tape it off and paint it up nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 07, 5 33 34 PM (HDR) (Custom).jpg (28.2 KB, 1291 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 07, 7 06 07 PM (HDR) (Custom).jpg (41.0 KB, 1308 views)
Old Sun 08 July 2012, 05:52
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Looks great !! - I'll second that torture when it comes to painting !!!
Old Mon 09 July 2012, 03:54
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Russell

Perfect choice for the colours, the snake is looking so good up on the wall.

Regards
Ross
Old Thu 12 July 2012, 05:20
keithstanley

Flintshire
United Kingdom
Painting the animals

The animals are looking great Russell!

Are you using any special paint or process as the animals are made from MDF?

I look forward to seeing the end pictures showing all the animals painted and installed!

Again GREAT WORK!!!

Truly inspirational!!!
Old Tue 23 October 2012, 14:38
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Where to start. Well today was the first time in a few months that I was able to get out to the garage and use the MM. For those of you that didnt know 3 months ago my son was born and he takes up a fair amount of free time which I dont mind at all just miss the machine a little.

I have been wanting to cut this out for a few months now. I can tell I was sleep deprived when I drew this one up. You will see that I used the wrong size fillet and forgot to measure the thickness of the wood. So we will call this a Prototype of a Floor Lamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 11.20.18 (Custom).jpg (23.0 KB, 1021 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 15.12.00 (Custom).jpg (24.4 KB, 1019 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 15.12.35 (Custom).jpg (18.0 KB, 1013 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 15.12.55 (Custom).jpg (22.7 KB, 1014 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 15.13.54 (Custom).jpg (27.3 KB, 1018 views)
Old Tue 23 October 2012, 14:44
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I just noticed I never posted pictures of the finished Animals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-20 15.33.12 (Custom) (Custom).jpg (15.3 KB, 1014 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-19 18.14.14 (Custom).jpg (18.9 KB, 1019 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-19 18.13.51 (Custom).jpg (23.5 KB, 1017 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-19 18.14.01 HDR (Custom).jpg (12.6 KB, 1016 views)
Old Tue 23 October 2012, 14:59
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russel,

Is that kid drinking beer already?

The animals look great.

Getting a little rusty are we?
Old Wed 24 October 2012, 23:34
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
Russel,

Is that kid drinking beer already?
If you have a better way to make him sleep let me know. No that is mine I was enjoying some Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

Alittle rusty is an understatement. Its amazing how much you loose so quickly. Owell its just makes re-learning that much more fun. I have been going through all the Vectric Tutorials and found out that I could oin all the Nodes in 1 click of the button. Much easier than me joining them all manually.
Old Thu 25 October 2012, 04:12
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell,

What until Vectric comes out with the new update for Aspire. I attended the Vectric User's group meeting last week. The new update will allow you to do more amazing things plus they have made changes to the location of the icons.

I learned I was not taking advantage of some of the features that are currently in 3.5. James uses the 2 rail sweep to do a lot of things. The new update makes it much more powerful.

I think the new upgrade will come out in December.

I am going to go over the tutorials also.
Old Sat 27 October 2012, 19:37
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Love the animals, great job.
Old Tue 12 February 2013, 00:45
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Eiffel Tower

Here is a video of me cutting out the Eiffel Tower and a few other things. This is for a little girls room that she wants a Paris Theme for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIFGthIMtp0
Old Tue 12 February 2013, 04:23
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
Russell way cool. They look perfect!

Now why am I responding to a post of yours at 3:15am... Oh that's
right. I have it set up to notify me when your thread is active..

Wow anyways
Old Tue 12 February 2013, 05:31
Axel1966
Just call me: Axel

Paris
France
Hi Russel,

Nice cut ! The girl will be absolutely delighted.

The proper word is "Fleur" (flower)
Old Tue 12 February 2013, 07:27
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
James I know the feeling. Until Apple came out with the Do Not Disturb I would get notifications at all hours of the night. I think most companies send out emails around 2am.

Axel Sorry for the typo.
Old Tue 12 February 2013, 08:10
Axel1966
Just call me: Axel

Paris
France
No problem mate
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 12:06
dakmonf
Just call me: dakmon

Alberta
Canada
Russell;

Could you tell me the size of extruded aluminum you used to attach the dust foot to the y car. It appears as though you have attached it to only one side. Does this work well, or would you suggest a wider piece of extrusion to both sides of y car?
What did you use to attach to the dust foot?

Thanks

Greg
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 15:14
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Greg,
I bought the Extruded Aluminum form 80/20inc. The size is what they call 1530 or 1.5 inches by 3 inches.

It is only attached to one side this allows me to use 2 levers to set the height quickly. I havent found a need to extend it to the otherside. Infact I have gone through 3 of the "Shoes" because the the aluminum is not forgiving to crashes. Either the shoe breaks or the Y car lifts when you hit a clamp.

The shoe is bolted through the bottom into the 2 holes that are in the extrusion. I wanna say M8 Capped Socket Heads.

See these post for better contruction photos and write up...

http://mechmate.com/forums/showthrea...&postcount=268

http://mechmate.com/forums/showthrea...&postcount=271

Last edited by Regnar; Sun 24 March 2013 at 15:17..
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 16:20
dakmonf
Just call me: dakmon

Alberta
Canada
Russell;

Many thanks. Now to find an 8020 distributor in Canada.

Greg
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 16:23
pblackburn

United States of America
Definitely use a distributor, the online retailers rip you off on it. Amazon in the states and ebay sell it for $96 for an 8 foot piece. The authorized distributor sells it for $76 for the same thing.
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 16:38
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I just check ebay you can buy a 36" (more than enough) for 18.00 plus shipping. Look for seller 8020inc
Old Sun 31 March 2013, 19:12
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Unhappy Today was just one of those days.

So where to begin. My father put me in contact with a customer that needed 5 sheets of plywood cut. No biggy as my time had freed up a bit and I was looking to get back out in the shop.

So after spending a few days talking back and forth and back and forth he finally settled on the designs look. It is a 2d florish panel. Cutting time is right around 30minutes with a .125 router bit.

So I go out in the shop and load the machine. First panel was beautiful. No problems things are going great. Load the second sheet and that is when the day fell apart. My lovely wife came out and asked me if I wanted lunch I said sure. Shut everything down and we headed off. I came back turned everything back on. Hit Start and the machine takes off and starts cutting. Things are going good until I hear the router bog down. Then the bit snapped. No biggy I say to myself I have been cutting with the bit for some time and probably time for a new one. Loaded and new bit in and hit start from line. Well I cut the sheet of ply in half heading to the next line.

Loaded up a new sheet and start cutting again. This time we made it 2/3 of sheet cut and I hear the router popping and bogging down again. This time something told me to investigate and sure enough the router was sparking a little more than normal. Shut down the machine and now the router will not start. Threw my hands up and gave up. I let the router cool down (it wasnt hot at all), unmounted it from the machine. Plugged it into the wall to see if the control box was the problem. Still wouldnt start. After trouble shooting for a few hours I went in and had dinner with the family. Came back out and the router fired up but I have large sparks in the inside and the router doesnt sound healthy at all. So I am pretty sure I need new brushes. So what did I learn today.

Never let someone tell you what the date of pickup will be. He is sending a shipping company to the house to pick up the cut parts on Wensday. 3 Days away.

Always have a back up router.

Always have consumables on hand. The brushes are 2.50 a piece.

No matter how good the intention is never start and stop a job. Lunch is good but there is a time to eat and a time to get shit done.

Figured you guys could get a laugh out of today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (14.9 KB, 460 views)

Last edited by Regnar; Sun 31 March 2013 at 19:16..
Old Sun 31 March 2013, 19:27
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...Learned that lesson too. The reason I always used a PC 7518 Router. I always had a spare on hand, but they are almost always in stock at some store in town.

Sorry for your luck this week, but thanks for sharing.

Best,
Sean
Old Sun 31 March 2013, 20:38
pblackburn

United States of America
I hear you there. It is always the small stuff that stops you dead.

Starting and stopping is not a great idea and you need to know and trust your machine. I have some 8 hour jobs I have done but unfortunately I only have about 2 hours a day to run the machine so I have to run the same project for 5 plus days for only one piece. My lack of experience cost me a lot of money in wood until I finally figured out a system to make sure I don't ruin a piece of wood.

I wish you the best and speedy repair so you can get your product out on time.
Old Sun 31 March 2013, 21:39
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
So it is a brush. It looks to me like I might have had a defected one. The spring on the bad one is just not springy at all. That could be from heating up from the arching but I will never know. I will admit Milwaukee has a very nice design here. I bought the router in October of 2010 and to me it looks like I have a lot of brush still left on the good one. Seeing they are so cheap I will be replacing both at the same time. It is really amazing how $2.92 cost me 50.00 in wood and a full day of scratching my head.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have 2 service centers within 5 miles of me and 4 within 20. Hopefully one of them have the parts I need or I will coble something together to make it work on time.

Here are some photos for your enjoyment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-31 22.14.51 (Custom).jpg (21.6 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-31 22.15.31 (Custom).jpg (20.9 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-31 22.16.00 (Custom).jpg (19.5 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-31 22.18.25 (Custom).jpg (20.9 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-31 22.19.07 (Custom).jpg (27.0 KB, 458 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read