MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 14 February 2010, 19:40
cordell
Just call me: cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
Up and Rolling - Johnson City,TN

Hello Everyone, this is my first post as a builder,been reading and looking over the plans for a while, I have been off work for a week and thought it would be a good time to dive in and get started. My table is 49"(1244)x97"(2463), and will have 3:1 belt drive, parts were purchased from leo,and what a great job on the cutting and bending. I changed the cross bracing to 2"x2"x1/4" because I already had these , hope it dont cause a problem, I can change them later if problem arises, seems very strong though, I am in the process of grinding the old rails, the fun stuff! ,used about 6 disk on one y rail, going to have to get some good disk for sure,I think everybody should at least grind a set of rails just to kinda pay your dues, will try to post pictures a little more often, thanks everybody for all the great information and thank you Gearld for this great site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0819.jpg (28.3 KB, 931 views)
Old Mon 15 February 2010, 04:36
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome !! Nice base table.
Old Mon 15 February 2010, 06:39
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Cordell,

Welcome to the Forum. Looking good.

I used Dewalt disks. I only needed 1 disk for grinding the rails. So your point about using good quality disks is a good one.

BTW, my brother lives in Mountain City.
Old Mon 15 February 2010, 11:28
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Cordell! Seems you are off to a good start there!
Old Mon 15 February 2010, 20:35
cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
thanks guys for the welcome,and thank you John for the heads up on the dewalt disk, made a world of difference, cut the other y rail and wore down a little over 1/8 ",I'll be glad when these are finished!
Old Sun 28 February 2010, 22:19
cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
she's up and rolling, got the rails ground, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, with a good disk for cutting and a good mind set it went pretty well, with grinding the v, I used a 36 grit sanding disk, for me it seem to work great, waiting for some electronics to arrive ,In the mean time I will try to spread some blue paint on the old table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0832.jpg (21.5 KB, 725 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0836.jpg (59.2 KB, 728 views)
Old Mon 01 March 2010, 06:28
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Cordell,

Looking good...and fast too.
Old Wed 17 March 2010, 20:44
cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
Z-plate finished ,milwaukee bracket made

haven't had a lot of time to work on mm lately, which is a good thing, work seems to be picking back up, got the reduction boxes finished, z plate ground and tapped and destroyed a good router base to make a mounting bracket , I've got more time than money, so went ahead and cut it up, the height adjustment is still in tack, dont know if ill ever need it , heres a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0847.jpg (17.7 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0846.jpg (33.4 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0840.jpg (39.2 KB, 615 views)
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 03:00
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I like your quick release bracket. Did that come with the router ?
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 05:00
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Yeah where did you get that bracket?
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 06:51
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Looking very good.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 09:53
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordell View Post
tapped and destroyed a good router base to make a mounting bracket
Very ingenious! I like it!
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 15:09
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Ok - now I need to know. Can you sorta lay out the steps you did to make the bracket? Is it the one that came with the router.

Did you need to fab any parts?

Why I ask is becuase if it is the one that came with the router , this could be a cost savings for mounting this type router (which most like) and would be a great thread to detail out how to do it.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 16:28
cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
hello guys, here is a couple more pics, and I'll try to explain, the clamping part is the top of the original router base that has been cut into, the black bracket was constructed mostly from 2x2 sq tube ,shown in the pic, some lines have been drawn showing how I cut the tube to make the parts, the rounded corners works good , to of the corners was used inside the router base for clamping strips, similiar to the clamp strip in the y rails. took about three hours to make. I first cut the base where I wanted it then attached two angles to it with clamping strips,then added the back plate, then the inside corners are diagonally braced. everything was TACK welded in place on the router base before removing to weld. after removing to weld, clamp something across to decrease distortion, the housing where the clamp strips go are tapered a little, bit so when tack welding the back plate on, square the plate with the top of router base this should get you parallel with the z plate when mounting, sorry for the poor pics, need better camera and lighting, oh forgot , had to add 1/2" spacer to the back to allow clearance for bearings on spider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0851.jpg (30.6 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0849.jpg (33.7 KB, 568 views)

Last edited by cordell; Thu 18 March 2010 at 16:34..
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 19:21
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
That is cool.
Old Fri 19 March 2010, 03:00
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Brilliant work! Simple touches & keep the original holder useful. Thats what I call value engineering!
Old Fri 19 March 2010, 09:27
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I wish I was this good at fabricating things. Well done, I like it.
Old Fri 19 March 2010, 10:49
cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
Thanks , everyone for the kind comments, hope it holds up under cutting conditions. looking forward to getting to mess with some electrical components, will need some help along the way for sure, hope not to be to much of pain for you guys, again, Thanks
Old Wed 07 April 2010, 20:02
cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
hey Bryan, thanks for the pm's and checking in on the project, been working 6/12's at work, not a whole lot of time for anything else, still have a little bit of painting to do on main table, getting ready to start control box, where is a good source for power cut offs, switches and all that good stuff? here is a couple pics where I am on the build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0871.jpg (33.3 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0870.jpg (21.2 KB, 428 views)
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 13:00
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Electronics suppliers

Cordell,

I would start at the links below.

http://www.factorymation.com/
http://mouser.com/
http://www.grainger.com

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read