MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 29 April 2009, 06:39
Almasts
Just call me: Almasts

Launceston
Australia
New Builder - Tasmania, Australia

Hi guys,

As an introduction we are a Small Company in Tasmania who's business primarily focuses on the Marine Rigging industry. We currently have a Takasawa CNC Lathe which we use for manufacturing our Headsail Furlers. We have a lot of experience in Metal Fabrication but probably lack the knowledge in the Electronic Engineering area.

We are quite serious about starting this build project and are undaunted by the mechanical aspect but probably need some reassurance about the electronics.

Could someone give a back of the envelope explanation of how the electronics/control/pc interfacing works? or direct us to a link in the forum that will be of assistance.

We can see this is a pretty knowledgeable group and i noted a great comment that went something like "once you built it you can fix it" that is so true.

We look forward to your response.

Thanks Stuart & Mitch
Old Wed 29 April 2009, 06:48
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome Stuart & Mitch.

Basic schematic of a typical CNC control box is a thread with one post only, feel free to ask more questions there about the electronics/control/pc interfacing. It really is as simple as that little picture shows.
Old Wed 29 April 2009, 06:57
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Stuart and Mitch.
There are quite a few knowledgeable people in the electronics area on this forum. There are quite a few tables build and running from owners who had the same statements you guys just made. Dont worry we will get you guys through it.
Old Wed 29 April 2009, 07:03
Almasts
Just call me: Almasts

Launceston
Australia
Gerald

Thank you for that, I guess the more we read the the more we learn..In reality it is probably the sourcing of the equipment and knowing we are getting the right gear is the daunting part! it seems as though you have it pretty well sorted.

A bit more on our background Mitch (my business partner) has been in the Mast and Rigging industry for over 20 years and is very good at practical design solutions and manufacturing. Myself I joined our business about 3 1/2 years ago and brought my engineering background in Naval Architecture since then we have been dabbling in Carbon Composites and innovative rigging solutions. So we can see a need to complement our manufacturing with a more precise and mechanized cutting solution.

Stuart
Old Sun 03 May 2009, 02:21
Neil
Just call me: Neil

Tas
Australia
Another Tasmanian

Hi fella's from almast
I have been looking at this site for a while now thinking of starting to build one of these great machines, I was so suprised to see someone else from Tasmania. I am a cad draughtsman and have been looking at buying a small gasket cutting business. Could these machines be used for that purpose.Also it is a great site

Regards Neil
Old Sun 03 May 2009, 09:00
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almasts View Post
We can see this is a pretty knowledgeable group and i noted a great comment that went something like "once you built it you can fix it" that is so true.
The Make Magazine "Owners manifesto" is; If you can't open it, you don't own it.

http://makezine.com/04/ownyourown/
Old Tue 12 May 2009, 02:29
Basilica
Just call me: Basil

Wirrinya (NSW)
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Hi fella's from almast
I have been looking at this site for a while now thinking of starting to build one of these great machines, I was so suprised to see someone else from Tasmania. I am a cad draughtsman and have been looking at buying a small gasket cutting business. Could these machines be used for that purpose.Also it is a great site

Regards Neil
Hi Neil,

My first job many decades ago was in a factory that made gaskes PB&B
we used a frame cutter that wa a plywood base wt the outline of the gasket routed in and a steel blade inserted in the groove. then the gaskets wre pressed out of cork or other material. the MechMate would be ideal for making the frame cutter but i am unsure if it could cut cork directly, others on the forum will know if you tell them the materials used in gasket manufacturing.

Cheers,
Basil

Last edited by Basilica; Tue 12 May 2009 at 02:51..
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 07:58
Neil

Tas
Australia
Drag knife

Hi Basil
Thanks for you reply and sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I too think the Mech Mate would be ideal for making die boards for gasket cutting, but I was really wondering if I could mount some sort of drag knife in the machine for making 1 off gaskets or intricate designs wherby a die would not be suitable. Also thanks Gerald for this great site and your experienced advice, I have been looking at this site for 2-3 months now just contemplating my own build

thanks regards Neil
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 08:58
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Neil,

Here is a link to a website where a guy sells what you're looking for. http://www.littleeholdings.com/

Also, there is a thread that discusses it more. Use the search function and look for "knife."
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 21:01
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Doug,
Check out that site, he is no longer making the vinyl mate due to economic reasons.
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 21:14
Neil

Tas
Australia
knife

Hi Doug
Thanks for the reply but it seems like those guys have closed down.

Regards Neil
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 22:03
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Vinyl Cutting with MM - Drag knife attachment for router
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 08:39
Neil

Tas
Australia
3 phase or single phase

Hi guys
This is probably a rtdiculous question but can you use either 3 pase or single phase power on the mechmate

thank Neil
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 09:17
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Th only ridiculous question is the one un-asked.

3 phase is not required, unless you get a spindle that requires it.

The controller really runs off of DC as do the stepper motors and gecko's. So the power supply converts the AC power to DC of the proper voltage. You can get or build a power supply that runs off of 3 phase, but that seems like a waste to me. But as always, your decisions are right for you.

Most routers people use are single phase, and I don't really know about spindles, I assume some are 3 phase, but not all.

3 phase is very useful for larger motors like in vacuum hold downs and larger dust collectors.
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 09:43
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Neil, since the MM is a DIY build, the choice is yours. Either 3-phase or single phase is okay.
Old Wed 29 July 2009, 06:24
Neil

Tas
Australia
Thanks for the answers, I think I am electrically challenged.

Regards Neil

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read