MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 701. Motor Drives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 05 May 2010, 08:11
toad
Just call me: Toad #80

Burlington NC
United States of America
Need advice on stepper motor kit

I am looking at the Keling 4 axes kit NEMA 34 640 oz-in Steppper Motors 4 Axis CNC Kit: $899

A: 4 PCS KL-5056, 24- 50VDC, 5.6A Driver

B: 4 PCS EMA 34-640 oz-in Stepper Motors

C: 1 PCS 48V/ 12.5A or 48VDC/13A, Power Supply, 110V/220V

D:1 PCS C10 Breakout board, E-Stop or Limit Switch can be wired

E: 5V power supply, 110V/220V

Does anyone have any pro's or cons. Is one better than the other?

any advice would be helpful, I don't want to purchase something that I will not be satisfied with.

Toad
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 23:14
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
any advice would be helpful, I don't want to purchase something that I will not be satisfied with.

Toad
You didn't specify what is your satisfaction.
Cost? Delivery? Warrenty? After sales service? Quality? etc etc...
Old Sat 08 May 2010, 11:15
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Good day Ken.

After giving some thought, I have decided to go with the Oriental motor, PK299-f4.5A

Can you possable tell me what driver and Power supply will work with this motor?

Thankss for your reply.

Toad
Old Sat 08 May 2010, 16:50
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
check motor inductance, calculate its square root and multiply the value by 32 thats the maximum voltage value the motor can handle without damage, current needs to be calculated too.
Old Sat 08 May 2010, 21:32
gooberdog
Just call me: Chuck

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Gecko 203's and Antek 50V1000WR12 power supply. That is what I got for mine
Old Sun 09 May 2010, 23:46
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Hi toad,
Your choose the unofficial "standard" stepper motors. so there are lots of information already present here. I don't think I can say more to the experts write up by better qualified people here.
I prefer to build my own PSU to save cost, it is easier then most may imagine & it is more power efficient the regulated SMPS units..
Calc the Safe Operating Voltage as Pablo mentioned, add 1.4V to it & devide this number by SQRT(2) or 1.414. then,
round this number to the neareset "standard" secondary winding of voltage whaich are 12Vzc, 24Vac, 36Vac, 48Vac.
You can safely use any kind of transformers with >300VA rating.
Please do remeber that the Safe Operating Voltage is only a guide, you don't have to run the system on the EXACT number, you can still safely operate the whole concogtion with slightly higher (~10%) or a lot lower figure.
Old Mon 10 May 2010, 07:40
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The PK299-F4.5 is an excellent motor. You can wire it half-coil, bipolar parallel or bipolar series. I have two of them on my test bench that I usually run wired half-coil.

They work very well with power supplies from 27VDC to 50VDC. I prefer 35VDC as a good compromise between excessive motor heat and speed. 35VDC lets the motor run at 1,500 RPM, which is more than enough for a CNC application. Even if you gear the motor 4:1 through a belt-drive and use a 1.5-inch diameter spur gear, 1,500 RPM would push an axis about 2X faster than I would like.

Because those motors pull lots of current, the Geckodrive G201x or G203v would both work very well. The G201x is slightly less expensive than the G203v, but the G203v is more forgiving of wiring mistakes. If you work methodically when wiring your control box, either stepper driver would be an excellent choice.

Pablo, Chuck and Ken all gave excellent advice. There is no "one way" or "one specification" that must be chosen. Stepper motors, especially the PK299-F4.5A, aren't that picky about power supplies. Just remember that the higher the voltage, the greater the heat and the greater the potential speed. Also keep in mind that even though you can drive your car at 100 mph, it will last much longer if you keep the speed reasonable. The same holds true for electronics. If you let electronics run at moderate temperatures and if you spin motors at moderate speeds, they will last years longer than if you push them to their limits.
Old Mon 10 May 2010, 10:02
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Thanks all, you don't know how much I appreciate your help.

Toad

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read