MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 12 September 2008, 15:32
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Stepper motor wire colours do not match supplier's info - how to figure them out

Played with the motors tonight getting the kitchen/study table project together.PLayed with mach inputs & outputs and got to a stage where I need to look at the wires coming out of the motors 8 wires fine,next opened the Fulling pdf file and starting to sort it out but for some reason some "poepol" in the east changed the colours of the wires.can someone direct me to a thread or advise me how to test so I can wire it up.?(please).Only colours that does mach to make a coil is black & white.
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 20:38
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hennie, what wire colours are coming out of your motor? Photo?

What are the markings on the motor? At minimum: model number. At best: small wiring diagram.

What does your supplier have to say about it?

Edited to add:

Are you saying that your multimeter only finds one coil? The other 6 wires must make 3 more identical coils.

This 7MB pdf from Fulling, updated Jan 2007, shows a couple of the diagrams they use. I couldn't spot your ST86ST125 3508 AG3 in there, but your colours may match of of the other models?
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 21:09
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Okay, your motor is on page 31, but the wiring diagram is not shown for that model?
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 21:33
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Gerald I mailed you the pdf and I presume that the black and white makes a coil .I will check it later this morning.There is one diagram of an 8 wire connection.
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 23:10
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ok, managed to get the coils right for every solid colour there is a white wire with the corresponding colour on it. Now only to figure out which coils go with each other .

Does anybody have the colour codes for resistors ( colour rings around the resistors)had it written down many moons ago .LIke to sharpen the knife in the drawer
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 23:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hennie, I havn't got any mail from you yet. I think the diagram on page 29 of the PDF linked above will apply for you:

blue/white
blue

red/white
red

..................................green/white_____green.............................. black/white_____black

Don't trust the colours on the resistors - only trust what a multimeter tells you. Many people (myself included) have gotten those colours wrong for the only 10 minutes in the project when you need to pick the value for the drives. Not worth scrambling the old brain cells for an hour to shorten those 10 minutes

What is your power supply voltage? That is going to decide the 8 wires and the resistor.
Old Sat 13 September 2008, 00:59
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Problem !

black/black white
pink / pink white
orange/orange white
yellow/yellow white

not the same colour wires as on the diagram.
42 volts
Old Sat 13 September 2008, 01:42
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Are you sure you aren't a bit colour blind? Get a second opinion from the boss

Do you know anyone else using these motors?
Old Sat 13 September 2008, 02:57
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Would you ask someone who dyes their hair what colour it is
Will post pic`s of the motors later.
Old Sat 13 September 2008, 04:24
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
That's the person you would ask. they can see the difference in the smallest amount of shade change, not to mention a completely different color.
Old Sat 13 September 2008, 06:22
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...but the heck we receive from the boss if we don't notice their color change when they come home from the salon!
Old Sat 13 September 2008, 10:57
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
Does anybody have the colour codes for resistors ( colour rings around the resistors)had it written down many moons ago .LIke to sharpen the knife in the drawer
If Hennie is like me, he was forced to buy a bag with several hundred resistors in it. I used the color codes to identify the likely suspects and then verified them with a multimeter. Here is a link:

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Resistor_Codes
Old Sat 13 September 2008, 11:25
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Thanks Doug!

For the okes in the east red suddenly became pink and the BOSS agree I am not colour blind.Open the purse and see the colours vanish for that colour change.at the Hair Dresser.
Old Sat 13 September 2008, 11:35
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Have anybody Thought about convertng the MM into a foam cutter for making cornices?

Had sleapless nights about this, watch this space it is going to get interresting.what I did thought of is keep the main table 1 meter long,gantry stays the same length as what we are using for our 1830 mm wide board and have the z-axis fixed with steel wires running from one side to the other.
a 2 axis machine.
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 03:00
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Fulling motors with 3:1 gearbox For peaple thats colour blind.

Gerald managed to figure out what goes where ( look at the colour wires )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 222.jpg (21.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 223.jpg (17.5 KB, 252 views)
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 04:07
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Did you get the motor to turn?

With a 42V supply, I guess you are going to wire them half-coil, and therefore only use the black & red coils? Or are you going parallel and pumping the full 7 Amps out of the Gecko?
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 06:04
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Chance is that I might go for half coil .Lets see what the performance of these motors are once the machine is running.We don`t know these motors so lets see what they can do.For now I am getting all the bits together for assembly.I still need to make the 32 tooth gears fit the shafts of the motors as the gearbox shaft is 16 mm dia.
I am nearly done with the control board for testing on the kitchen table.I must admit one thing is that I got stuck with the relay (8 pin ) for the router and extractor.For now it will be just for the show.
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 06:20
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
So the motors are not turning yet, and you don't know for sure you have those colours right? As I understand it there is big potential for smoke if the colours are guessed wrong (You may guess one coil opposite to what it should be - then the motor behaves like a dead short and the drive says *pop*)
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 06:32
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
A tip on figuring out the wiring:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou.../message/11986

If you want to feel how bad a shorted coil feels, twist all 8 wires together, or twist some white stripe together with its solid colour, and then try and turn by hand.

When your wires are connected to the drive, and the drive is still off, the motor should turn as easily as when no wires are connected to anything. If you can turn the motor fast enough, there will come a speed when it does lock up - that's when you have generated enough electricty to turn the turn the drive on.
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 06:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Another tip:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou.../message/10798

Instead of shorting out, connect a multimeter across a pair of series coils and try to find the max voltage while turning by hand.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read