MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 10 April 2009, 10:55
edwardo
Just call me: EDD

Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
Hello from Canada - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Hi all, just registered and first post. I have a cnc plasma table and plan on building a cnc router in the future. Some cnc tables can use either plasma or router, mine doesnt but thats ok, i wouldnt want to be switching back and forth anyways. Im not sure when i will start on the router table, but i will do alot of research prior, and part of the reason for joining this forum.

EDD
Old Fri 10 April 2009, 11:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome Edd.
Old Fri 10 April 2009, 19:35
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Edd,
Nice to see some more Canadians here.
Old Fri 10 April 2009, 22:29
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ed enjoy the build and be an inspiration to one of our fellow Canadian members to start building.!
Heath is Cornwall far from Winnipeg
Old Sat 11 April 2009, 06:06
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Hi Edd
Your at the right place. How is the water situation these days? Henny it is a bit over 1000 miles.I once drove in one shot, Ontario is large.
Old Sat 11 April 2009, 07:34
edwardo

Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
Thanks everyone

My house is about 1000' from the Red River, during the last big flood we owned river front property for awhile, not sure whats going to happen this time, im working in Mexico at the moment but my wife keeps me posted. I caught the cnc bug 2 years ago, spent a year of my breaks at home doing renos on my garage to be able to work year round in it, then bought a Dynatorch cnc plasma 1 year ago and have been learning to use it ever since on my time off. I have everything in my garage i need to build the router table, except space!!! i plan on adding a work shop onto the back of my garage for all my " stuff " in the near future. I like to combine wood with the metal cut outs so a router makes good sense to me, plus i want to turn what im doing into a business some day so i dont have to leave home and be away 8 months a year, its a good job that pays well, but alot of bs goes with it... we shut down for 5 days here over Easter and my security people came in this morning saying for men with guns stole a generator from 1 of our Drill Rigs .... its crap like that, that really turns me off working here and i cant wait to get home at the end of April and fire up the plasma.

EDD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1631resized.JPG (90.5 KB, 281 views)
Old Sat 11 April 2009, 08:11
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Edd ,What is that timber that you used for the post of your sign (redwood)?
Old Sat 11 April 2009, 10:01
edwardo

Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
Hennie

The post is cedar, its part of a 4'x4' sign i made for my property, i dont have any pictures except these i took off our web site, the large sign with Yellow Quill on it is 4'x8' and just a drawing so far, but the other 2 are actually on my property and the tractor is attached to it. All the black on these signs are metal cut outs from my plasma, then glued onto the cedar. My web site is still under construction at the moment and isnt online.
In the future i hope to use the router so i can inset the metal silhouettes into the wood or something like that.

EDD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg estatesign.jpg (28.9 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg sign2.jpg (78.5 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg samplesign1.jpg (40.9 KB, 276 views)
Old Sat 11 April 2009, 20:56
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Hennie,
Edd's place is a little far for a weekend drive. But dont worry my shop is almost finished and then I will have a place to start my MM. Its just too darn cold here in the winter to do anything without a heated garage.

Edd,
I really like the metal and wood combo you are doing there with the signs.
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 06:45
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Edd,

Welcome fellow DT owner and DT Forum dude !! I see great minds find great tools . I am working out the space issue also. I have the 5x10 Dynatorch

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=291

and I want to make sure I have them no where close to each other. I hear fire and wood have a problem working together. Saw Dust+Sparks= Trouble is the correct formula I believe.

I started collecting my parts a few months back and figure the space would come when I really need it.
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 08:43
edwardo

Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
There will be issues for sure to concider, a good vacum system for the router and ventilation for the plasma and then try not to suck all the warm air out of the shop during colder month, im not sure about how much noise the router will make?? im set up at home in a residential area, i'll no doubt need to sound proof my shop to keep the neighbors happy, from the little reading i have done so far i have seen that spindles are quieter than a router, can anyone comment on that?
Heath, i can relate to the heated garage issue.... When i did my reno i smashed the old concrete out, then put in floor radiant heating in with the new cement... it works great

EDD
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 09:19
WFY
Just call me: Buzz #60

Pembroke, Ontario
Canada
Hi Edd,
I ran a bench test on the 2.2Kw spindle from China and they are very quiet with no load running. Standard routers are a lot nosier.
The vacuum system and the dust collector will be your biggest source of noise.
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 09:19
edwardo

Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
Mike, it was you and the others on there that inspired me, and i am still jealous of your nice shop

EDD
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 09:42
edwardo

Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
Hi Buzz

Thanks for the info, do you know if there are dust collection systems that vent inside the shop through filters? or do they vent outside, my concern is sucking the warm air out, i have the same issue with my plasma but i think i have a solution for it now.

I see another guy ( Rene ) in Winnipeg is building a MM, i may try and contact him when i get home. There are a few guys around Wpg that are into all different types of cnc machines, we all kind of met on cnczone and a few of us got together a couple times last year... Im pretty sure i was talking to Rene but at the time he couldnt make it to the meeting.

EDD
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 10:19
WFY
Just call me: Buzz #60

Pembroke, Ontario
Canada
A friend of mine in Ottawa who is running a ShopBot has put me on to this site for vacuum motors. http://www.centralvacuummotor.com/imperial.htm
There are links to the ShopBot forum that has a very good writeup on vacuum systems. I have purchased 4 vacuum motors from this company and plan to build the vacuum system described on there forum.
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 17:19
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Edd last year I talked with Abe in Morden He was going to build a MM post 47 http://mechmate.com/forums/showthrea...3953#post13953 I wonder how He is doing?
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 20:05
edwardo

Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
Thanks Normand

It would be nice to see some of these machines, i'll try and contact him also when i get home. I have been reading up on the laser cut parts etc. i'll probly be able to do all my own cutting with my cnc plasma, the bending i may have to job out.

EDD
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 06:47
astrolavista
Just call me: Rene #29

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
HI Edd

I'm getting to the final strokes on my Mechmate, http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439

If you are interested you can come on down and have a look..

Rene
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 08:00
edwardo

Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
Hi Rene

Your table looks great, i'll be back home in a few weeks and will definetly contact you...

Thanks alot
EDD

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read