MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > CAM
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 17 September 2008, 22:43
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
More about visit to Chaostec - Ucancam V8

I almost forgot, he also showed me a piece of CAM software that goes to 5800NT ($184 US) that was very impressive. It is called Ucancam V8. I have an apointment with Mr. Tzao on Saturday morning and he will put it through it's paces for me. I was about to put down over $900 with the Vectric bundle but now there might be a cheaper alternative. I will report on this some time next week. It does V-carving, wave boards, 3D, etc. However, I will post observations next week. Maybe I posted this in the wrong place Gerald, if so, would you be so kind as to move it where it is more appropriate. I am just so excited about what I have learned this week. The stuff he made using this software was amazing!!
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 23:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
David's post above moved from another thread

http://www.ucancam.com/en.asp
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 09:42
liaoh75

Taibao
Taiwan
Gerald, Thanks for moving this post for me. I have to apologize if I am making a mess of the organization of this wonderful forum. I will post follow-ups of this software here. Thanks G'
Old Wed 29 July 2009, 05:06
skippy
Just call me: Paul #72

Queensland
Australia
I just tried to go to the web site in post # 2 and get this message in FireFox 3.5.1 just to let you know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reported Attack Site.jpg (36.1 KB, 464 views)
Old Wed 29 July 2009, 05:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Have just tried it myself, and didn't get any warnings like that, probably because I don't have fancy software to see such potential risks! Anyway, I lived to tell the tale.
Old Wed 29 July 2009, 09:47
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
My browser acted the same way. I went to the 'why was this site blocked', and there is an explanation. Not in totally geek, but it does seem there has been some 'historical' problems found back as late as July 13 found by to google bots snooping the internet.

Hopefully the site is really safe, but you pays your money, and you take your changes.
Even legitimate business can have issues if they get hacked.
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 05:27
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Have just tried it myself, and didn't get any warnings like that, probably because I don't have fancy software to see such potential risks! Anyway, I lived to tell the tale.
Hi Gerald,
I get the screen as well, I use firefox instead of IE browser. Its free too... I find its safer with firefox...
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox...rom=getfirefox
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 05:42
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Tried ucancam again & warning were gone.

I find the package very interesting.
Old Wed 19 August 2009, 05:46
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Hi David,
What is your finding on ucancam?

Cheers

Ken
Old Wed 19 August 2009, 22:57
liaoh75

Taibao
Taiwan
Hi Ken,

I only tried it out on location in Kaoshung. I played with it for about 5 to 6 hours and quickly realized that it wasn't anything even close to the Vectric offerings on many fronts. First off, forget about good support. The package is made by a Chinese company. If you are very CAM savy and wouldn't mind blowing about $160 US. Then try it out. It sure is a heck of a lot cheaper than what I ended up buying. Second, it is not exactly user friendly with illogical locations for tool settings and is not guarenteed to work with Mach3. My rational was very simple. I spent about $5000 building this great machine Gerald designed and was kind enough to give to the world for free. I want to make money with it and don't have hours on top of hours to "figure out" the software which has turned out to be THE most important thing after the build.

If you are after making money with the Mechmate then I would go with more professional software like Vectric Aspire or their more cost effective solutions. The support and community of users (forum) is worth it's weight in gold. If this is a hobby for you and you have more time on you hands than you know what to do with, then give Ucancam a try and let us know if it is a "real" alternative to other proven software in the CAM section of this great forum. Cheers!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read