MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 07 January 2009, 11:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
At the bottom of the board, the cut path makes 2 left turns, at the top it makes 2 right turns.

One of the left turns is from X to Y while the other is from Y to X. Therefore, each of those 4 turns is unique.

If it is not looseness, then it could be plain flex - something bending to take load. How far is your cutting bit sticking out of the collet? (Keep that as short as possible or use a thicker bit)
Old Wed 07 January 2009, 11:15
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
The GCode is obviously fine.

I think Gerald was implying that you should check whether something mechanical anywhere on the machine is loose, from the perspective of the collet. You're tugging on the collet not to check just the collet, but everything. For example, does the Gantry run vertically relative to that photo, and has a little play developed in the X axis motor / gear at the bottom of the picture?

(Added text a few minutes later): Wait a sec, both the photo of your leg, and the GCode indicate that the overshoot is on the Y axis. So that would mean play on the Y Motor, the Y idler, or side-to-side on the Z plate / rollers.

Last edited by bradm; Wed 07 January 2009 at 11:32.. Reason: Fully engaged my brain and considered the available evidence
Old Wed 07 January 2009, 11:58
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

You know your machine. I went back out and checkd for anything that might be loose. Yes, the Y car moved even with power.

My question is this. How tight do you make the Fixed A and Slotted B bolts for the motor plates. I loosened up Slotted B and the Y car didn't move.

Playing with the motors to retune and adjusting the springs, I might not have checked that things were set up right. Doesn't there need to be a little play in the Slotted B bolt even with the plastic washers?

Once I fixed the Y car, I ran the file again and the cut looks good in all directions.

I have also tested my Milwaukee router runout and it is not good. Mine is 0.003.

I have learned a good lesson. When the machine is not cutting right, first check to see if there is some thing loose!
Old Sat 17 January 2009, 12:01
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Today, I made a part for my washer. It is a basic machine. I recently had to replace the waste water hose because a mouse ate through it. The washer is outside on my back porch. He must have taken the part I had to replace.

The part is in white in the picture. I milled it out of PVC board. I though I would need glue but it fits on tight. I am still learning so it took me a few tries to get it right but it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1192.jpg (164.5 KB, 1863 views)
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 12:18
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Zero Touch Plate

Today I changed the setting in Ports and Pins and got my Zero Touch Plate working. Beside the Shuttle Pro, Zero Touch Plate and the Laser make setting up the machine for a cut so easy.

My version is different than what I have seen others doing. I do not use any input on a Mach screen to monitor my Touch Plate. Yes, you will see the inputs on the Diagnoistic page but I use an LED. I use a button on the Shuttle Pro to activate the macro that drives the router to the touch plate.

I have an LED as part of the circuit. Before I run the macro, I touch the plate to the bit or router. If the LED turns Blue, that is the color I am using, I know that I will not drive the bit through the touch plate. Currently I have an alligator clip that attaches to the small wire that is above the LED in the picture. I will most likely use the red wire and replace the alligator clip and cut the black and other wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1197.jpg (167.4 KB, 1809 views)
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 16:23
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Nils,

Nice design. I love the LED idea.

Regards,
John
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 21:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
A good innovative streak you have there Nils! (including the "washer")

Our local language use:
washer: exclusively used under a screw head or nut
washing machine: for washing textiles - laundry equipment
dishwasher: kitchen equipment
Old Mon 19 January 2009, 04:05
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John,

Thanks

Gerald,

I didn't really think it up as you know, I just made a slight modification that worked for me. I wanted some thing that would allow me to use the touch plate with out having to be at the computer to operate the touch plate macro. But reading the thread about a external switch and the touch plate has made me realize I have to have a way to stop the routine if I accidently hit the button on the shuttle pro during a job run. I will need to do some additional testing and experimenting.

My next project, since I don't have a lot of light in my garage, is to add a small bank of LEDs to provide some light on the cutting area. You got to love the bright LEDs and the low power requirements.

I still have a problem with chatter on the X, Y area of the cut but I am waiting to do a write up until Sean has an opportunity to run the same cut file.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 16:01
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Today, I cut my first job for a paying client. It is nice to get that check.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 17:22
bradyaero
Just call me: Greg #19

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Right on! A few bucks coming in feels good! I did my first job yesterday... sweated a few bullets as the material was quite expensive!
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 17:44
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils, what did you cut for the customer?
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 20:00
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I cut a simple shape out of a piece of PVC board that was 1/4" x 4' x 8'. It took me more time to be sure I was cutting it right than it took to cut it. The material was supplied by the cutomer and so was the file that I needed to cut. They were going to pick it up but being the first client, I was happy to deliver it.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 22:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
This is always the best news!

For the guys who havn't been in the "materials cutting" business before, it is the beginning of a path to creating a client base.
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 07:49
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Nils did you take any pics to put in the showroom section.
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 11:18
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Irfan,

I am sorry I did not and I wanted to but my camera needed to be sent back to Nikon to get some warranty work done on it.
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 17:55
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congratulations on your first Job Nils!
Old Thu 09 April 2009, 07:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
My thread is getting down in the list so I thought I would post some fish I have been working on.

Plywood just to test how they look. The last is solid surface material and it is going to be used as a Trivet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0152.jpg (169.9 KB, 1470 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0153.jpg (170.8 KB, 1469 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0154.jpg (170.6 KB, 1462 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0155.jpg (170.9 KB, 1469 views)
Old Thu 16 April 2009, 14:32
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Fish in 1/2" Cork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0187.jpg (169.1 KB, 1382 views)
Old Thu 16 April 2009, 15:37
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Interested to hear how you machined that "soft" material without distortion?
Old Thu 16 April 2009, 16:10
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Alan,

It wasn't that hard. I called Onsrud to see what bit to use. They told me that they have never cut cork but they suggested a 63-000 series bit. I happened to have a 63-775.

I tried a small cut with my shuttle pro and it machined very nice. Sharp edges and smooth. I rounded the edges when I cut it in solid surface and the edges are rounded in the cork.

So I set up my file and cut it. The router was at 15,000 and I think the feed rate was 30 but I think it could have been faster may be 70.

I am very pleased with the results. I think I am going to make the spine a little thicker to make it a little stiffer.

Looks good in cork. I bought the cork from McMaster Carr.

Trivet for hot plates.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by sailfl; Thu 16 April 2009 at 16:12..
Old Thu 16 April 2009, 22:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice one Nils!

How did you hold the cork down?
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 03:25
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

The 1/2" cork I bought comes in 1' x 3' sheets. The fish is 6" x 10.5". So I used wood clamps to hold the material outside of the edges of the fish. I am only cutting 1/8" of material on each path. On the last path, I hold down the fish with my fingers to prevent it from moving.

I nipped the edge of the protective rubber on the end of the clamp. I have to get better at placing the clamps but I also don't like to waste material.

I am also using 1/16" cork to put on the bottom of the solid surface fish. The 1/16" cork has an adhesive backing. I wanted to see if I could cut the fish out with the cork attached. To experiment, I attached a layer of cork to a piece of scrape 1/2" plywood and cut some circles and squares. They came out with a sharp clean cut also. The cork looked better than the plywood.

I also used a very sharp bit when I cut the cork.

I think with the right bits and right design you could cut a relief out of the material. It machines as nice as solid surface material.

Clamps look like these!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...QCN&lpage=none
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 05:26
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
On the last path, I hold down the fish with my fingers to prevent it from moving.[/URL]
Nils,

I've had good results with double sided carpet tape. Every local hardware store seems to carry it.
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 05:58
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
For the finger holding method, here is another tape that you should keep around.
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 07:56
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Okay you guys. I only hit my finger once.

I only need to hold it down just for the last part of the cut when it is close to being done.

I did discover that the bit had a bunch of gunk on it which I cleaned off with alcohol.
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 08:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yup, alcohol does clean off blood rather nicely.

Nils, it doesn't matter whether you use your fingers or not (they are yours), but please don't tell us! Rather tell us you used a scrap stick or something like that.
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 13:36
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Okay,

I willl make a stick that looks like my finger and use it. I can put some cork on it so it will be non slip.
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 15:28
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
The finger holding habit is a bad one which I think we are all guilty of so let me relay an experience I had some years ago.

While working on a Multicam I was cutting out large letters from 16mm MDF. The first test cut was at the back end of the machine and I wanted to pause the machine between cuts. Now for those unfamiliar with the Multicam, the pendant stores in a bracket at the home position and I was working at at X-max, Y-max. As it finished cutting the letter (which I had been holding down with my hands so that there would be no divot as it cuts loose) I moved my hands away from the cutter and started moving toward the pendant. the floor of the workshop at the time was painted with a fairly glossy floor paint and this combined with fine MDF dust caused me to slightly loose my footing, instinctivly I put my hands out to balance myself and ended up passing my left hand right through the cutter (still spinning at 18000 rpm with 1/2" router cutter). all I felt was the impact of the cutter hitting all my fingers one at a time, a bit like a drum roll. After uttering a suitable expletive, I placed my left hand under my right armpit and proceeded to shut the machine off. after allowing enough time for my heart to calm down to a mild panic I slowly tried to move each finger in turn while the hand was still buried in my armpit. Having satisfied myself that all digits still appeared to be attached and there were no bits on the floor I slowly brought my hand out to have a look. Thank goodness for TUV chip limiter design, all I had were relatively small cuts on both sides of all four fingers either side of the nail, not that that resulted in less blood. At that stage I was working alone in the workshop so with one hand wrapped in a towel to control the bleeding I shut the workshop down, switched everything off, set the alarm, locked up and drove myself home to attend to the wounds as we did not even have a first aid box then. No stitches were required and I was back at work on Monday with only band-aids on the fingers - VERY LUCKY!!!

Moral of the story: Use a stick to hold down parts if the cutter will come within 6" of your hand, make sure the floor is clean and clear of possible trip hazards, don't use glossy floor paint and most importantly, have a first aid box close at hand.
Old Sat 18 April 2009, 07:42
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Okay enough with the cutting of the fingers. It is serious business but my fingers are not that close to the cutting bit so lets move on.

I hope to start working on my dust collection with in the next two weeks. Harbor Freight has the 2HP dust collector on sale, I am waiting for them to get some in stock. I will be adding a Wynn filter and making modifications to make it a mini cyclone.

I also plan to buy a remote way of turning on the dust collector.
Old Sat 18 April 2009, 08:12
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I've found that using a pneumatic nailer and driving a few 1-1/4" (32mm) brads through the material into the spoil board usually holds those 'fly-away' pieces. The brads leave a small enough hole that a little wood-putty covers the damage and a cutter can easily cut through a brad without ruining the cutter (when I've been careless in the positioning of the brads).

After having a run-in with my bandsaw and nearly cutting off a finger a few years ago, I don't take any chances anymore. The remaining numbness in that finger is a constant reminder that caution is better than stitches.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts