MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 701. Motor Drives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 11 October 2010, 07:01
jwt
Just call me: John

Wexford
Ireland
Using steel control box as the heat sink G540

Has anyone tried or does anyone think that bolting the G540 directly to the side of a steel control box with a bit of thermal grease work as a nice big heat sink for the G540?

My control box is a solid steel box 500mm x 400mm x 200mm and weighs 12Kg.

Its painted but a quick blip of a sander where I want to mount the G540 would have a nice metal contact for the thermal grease.

Reference info
http://www.geckodrive.com/upload/G54...Experiment.pdf

John
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 09:05
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Do you have the internal mounting plate for your case? I have also considered this option.
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 09:19
jwt
Just call me: John

Wexford
Ireland
I do but I was going to mount the G540 to the sidewall on the hinge side and insert the populated* plate at an angle, feeding the hinge side in first then bringing the rest in and level.

I'll make sure that any high components that would foul the G540 are on the opposite side from the hinge.

Hope that makes sense.

John

*populated as in mounting plate has toroidal transformer, capacitor, rectifier, switches, fuses, etc etc already mounted on to it.
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 09:22
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
John, my G540 is mounted exactly like that; as you have probably noticed, it's design encourages that (computer and motor connectors on the outside, power and control signals on the inside), and Gecko even provides you the template for where to cut and drill. I didn't bother with the thermal grease.

As long as you either have no other large heat sources in the box, or you are providing some airflow through the box (computer fan exhaust, filter input hole), it seems fine.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read