MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 11 November 2010, 05:31
buuk
Just call me: Buuk

Netherlands
Netherlands
Rack length problem

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and planning to start building a MechMate in the next few months. Right now I am trying to understand the contruction from the images and looking at the parts necessary.

As my machine will be 3 meter in length (effective length about 2.4 meter needed) I was wondering if it will be a problem to connect multiple pieces of rack to obtain this length. As most suppliers only sell up to 2 meter in length for the module 1 - 15x15mm rack.

How are you people solving this.

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

Buuk
Old Thu 11 November 2010, 08:18
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Try this thread.

Welding rack sections together

There are other pictures in other peoples build threads but I cannot seem to find them at the moment.
Old Thu 11 November 2010, 08:42
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Buuk,
If your really good with your setup with the adhesive tape, you don't need to weld it at all......many just put the splice piece in place while attaching to tape and leave it!

All very easy - so purchase what is affordable
Old Thu 11 November 2010, 12:23
jwt
Just call me: John

Wexford
Ireland
I've just welded up my racks today, joining a 2m to a 1m length.

Straight forward, just chamfer the ends so you get a good root weld.

I'm using linear rails so I had to drill mine every 300mm on the sides to mount it to the main beam and the weld held through that kind of abuse. (yeah I know, I should have drilled it first. )

John

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read