MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 13 April 2010, 17:40
shelbygt500buddy
Just call me: kyle

stuart fl
United States of America
hiwin linear rails on ebay

Hi i found hiwin linear rails on ebay about 4 foot long comes in pairs with 4 trucks. By the time i did the math on the custom made rails with angle iron and the crazy expesive v bearings i decided for the little extra cost to go with the linear rails look into them see if they will work for you im very pleased with them.
Old Thu 09 September 2010, 21:47
Mojo
Just call me: SolarImages

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Kyle A photo of your modification would be greatly appreciated please.
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 14:39
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
I saved money where i could. I work at a sheet metal fabrication shop so i knew where i could change some things... I didnt have anything cut out by laser. But i wish i had now but its to late. But this is the modified z and x axiis.

Old Sun 12 September 2010, 21:04
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Impressive! That must had cost a bump! Did you shim the rail? & how do you make the rail straight?
Old Mon 13 September 2010, 07:45
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
The price was about 500 in the end i believe. But the best way to get the rail straight is a laser jet. I used a cnc punch but the problem turned out that the punch slightly warped the 1/4" material so i had to restraighten it which led to boaring out the holes in the rails in some locations. Then i tapped the wholes with a 1/4-20 roll form tap. And all the holes where precisely placed so all i ahd to do was mill the end of each rail till the nested perfectly together. I have not shimmed my rails yet since I have not finished everything on the machine and its not sitting where im keeping the machine. I know the machine wont flex much but i figure its a waste of time at this point.
Old Mon 13 September 2010, 09:47
Mojo
Just call me: SolarImages

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
very cool thanks for the pic's
Old Sat 09 July 2011, 17:57
tcheney2000
Just call me: Terry

Victoria, Texas
United States of America
Kyle,
I've been looking at linear bearings too. What size did you use and how are they holding up? Also, how did you determine size?

Thanks, Terry

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read