MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 04 December 2009, 11:10
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Anyone familiar with Nexen roller pinions?

At first glance, the technology seems brilliant for our application.

http://www.nexengroup.com/nexen/prod...87&mainpn=true

Old Fri 04 December 2009, 11:43
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Search this forum for nexen to see a lot has been said about it.
Old Sat 23 August 2014, 07:24
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
The previous post is probably a spammer who brought this thread back from the dead, but I have something to add.

I'm building my own design 4x8 router. I happened top stumble across a pair of used Nexen roller pinions on Ebay, and bought them $180 each.
I spent a few hours creating an AutoCAD macro that would draw the tooth profile for the rack, and cutout a sample rack from baltic birtch.
The idea was to machine the rack from 3/4" phenolic plate on our Morbidelli router at work.
The sample looks like it should work fine, but I need to machine a sample from phenolic to see how precise I can get it.

My original plan was to use a custom made version of the Servo Belt drive system. http://bell-everman.com/servobelt-linear-drive

I'm still on the fence as to which method I'll use, until I make a sample rack for the roller pinions.
But I think this could be a viable option if the rack can be fabricated accurately and cheaply enough.

One issue I ran into was that these pinions are rather large, and need to use some type of gear reduction. After a few days of searching, I picked up a pair of 21:1 planetary gearboxes with 0 backlash from Ebay. These will be used with 400w brushless servos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nexen 016_mm.jpg (96.9 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by ger21; Sat 23 August 2014 at 07:28..
Old Wed 27 August 2014, 15:07
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
That is a big pinion. What is the bore size for the shaft?

Jason
Old Wed 27 August 2014, 15:37
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
I think it's 30mm. But I don't need to mount it to a shaft. I turned an adapter to mount it to the face of the gearbox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X Drive 1mm.jpg (52.8 KB, 119 views)
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 02:22
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
However good or bad those Nexen rollers are, I still think that the rack and pinion system is by far the most affordable, easy to maintain, install, to get, etc for a Mechmate user, like Gerald intended with his K.I.S.S design approach.

If anything I would rather upgrade to helical rack and pinion then a Nexen system I think. Still nice to see the outcome of your endeavors though.
Old Thu 28 August 2014, 02:55
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
IMHO, this is good when there is a space constrain.
If gearbox is needed, then that would defeat the space-saving advantage.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read