MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 17 October 2009, 21:14
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Pinion gear chatter

HI,

I am getting some noise and vibration when I jog the machine. What I think is happening is my teeth on the pinions are bottoming out on the rack and causing vibration and chatter in the cuts. If I disconnect the springs and and tap the motor plates down just a little the sound goes away and so does the vibration. I am not exactly sure what to do. I am doubting the quality of my racks. I should note that the racks could be taped straighter under the rails. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Justin
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 08:12
lunaj76

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
So this is what I tried,

I took the pinion off the y axis and with a hack saw cut the valleys (dedendum) deeper. Then with a cordless drill i spun the pinion and sanded the tips of the teeth with 80 grit sand paper, also sanding the the opposite direction. This did not remove much.

I then remounted the pinion and the noise and chatter was significantly reduced.

I should note that before I did all of this I took the pinion off the motor and with my thumb held the pinion against the rack and rolled it back and forth. It seemed to not roll as smooth as (I guess) it should.

My reasoning for all this came after I discovered that if I backed off the spring tension and jogged the pinion back an forth the vibration and chatter noise reduced significantly.

Last edited by lunaj76; Mon 26 October 2009 at 08:15..
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 10:27
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Justin, interesting work and results.

Where did you buy your racks and pinions from? THere must be a couple of defective ones out there.
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 12:35
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Justin: I too would like to know where you got your racks and pinions as I am just about to order mine. Thanks Joe
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 22:06
lunaj76

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
I ordered pinions and racks from McMaster Carr. The pinions are Boston Gear. If anything I would say I suspect the racks not the pinions. I should also note that I am running 35 tooth pinions. I modified the pinions because that was the easier thing to try.
Old Tue 27 October 2009, 01:29
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Justin,

Please supply rack Mc Carr part number and BG part numbers.

Thanks

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read