MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 29 October 2010, 14:20
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
What's the current state of the art timing belt gear reduction.

Can someone please point me toward the current consensus for the optimum belt reduction timing belt setup?

There are a lot of posts on the topic, and Mike has a belt drive mounting plate for sale, but I'm unclear how it all comes together.
Old Fri 29 October 2010, 18:58
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I'm interested as well. I've spent hours scouring the forums to try to find out how to assemble Mikes belt drive, as well as a parts list. Still doin' my homework...
Darren
Old Mon 01 November 2010, 13:54
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
This information must be a closely held secret......
I'm tenacious, I'll find it somehow...
Old Mon 01 November 2010, 14:15
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...?t=366&page=17

might help...
Old Tue 02 November 2010, 05:31
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...4&postcount=62

More on the motor plates
Old Tue 02 November 2010, 18:19
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
they are not that hard to assemble.
if you can build the rest of the machine you can assemble the drives, I know that there is the fear of the unknown, but you have to get past that and you will see that they are quite simple to build, or assemble
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...8&postcount=92
I know that there is some controversy about belt vs. gear etc. etc. also there are many ratios used, the most common is three to one, I chose to go 4 to 1 , I did some calculations and pondered higher ratios, but after the calculations I found that after 4 to 1 the gains were so minimal it was not worth the effort, at least for what I was using the MM for, you see as you calculate the resolution gain the returns are diminishing with every increase in ratio, it also seems to be the best ratio for speed vs. torque, my MM is faster and has more torque than I had with the 7,2's
(gear reduction motors) and the best thing about it is 0 backlash and after all that is the most important thing and the reason I went to belt in the first place, the above is my opinion others my come to a different conclusion if you look back through the posts about belt drives you will see I put my money where my mouth is and showed the cuts I was producing, the drives that mike is selling is based on my design, it is modified to some degree I believe his design uses flange bearings, mine did not, I would ask the ones using them to see how they are holding up I original thought that they would not work very well but I never tested them to see, also he added the wings so there is less welding which is a good idea, so I think that they are the way to go but I am some what biased since I designed them, but on the other hand if they were not performing as I expected or gave poor performance I would be the first to say it, I wouldn't want you to use them if the results were not satisfactory, when I built them I never thought they would perform as well as they do.
it is one of those things you need to see to believe.
I also had the luxury or misfortune depending on how you look at it to have had the Oriental 7.2 gear reduction motors to begin with, to actually see the difference first hand, the only reason I posted them was to save others for making the same mistake, and wasting money with the 7.2's
when you could build or buy the belt drives and get better performance, and again this is my opinion, others may fell differently. but the cuts do not lie...
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...&postcount=186
//chopper

Last edited by chopper; Tue 02 November 2010 at 18:22..
Old Tue 02 November 2010, 21:13
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Chopper,
I've followed your posts regarding belt drives very closely. I had originally thought to go with the 7.2 geared motors until I read some of your posts on the subject.
Now I'm sold on belt drive reduction. Thanks to you, Mike, and Sean for explaining and pointing me in the right direction. I THOUGHT I had read every post related to belts, but I completely missed the ones linked here.
Darren
Old Wed 03 November 2010, 18:47
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
Darren,
glad to be helpful,
//chopper

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read