MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 14 December 2009, 04:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Rack is bowed - is it a problem?

Hi,
I don't remember reading the required quality of the rack. Please do remove if this has been discussed elsewhere.
My racks have some bow in/out/side a little, about +/- 1mm over 60cm (I place a frame square over it & measure the gaps.) Will this be a problem?
Old Mon 14 December 2009, 05:44
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
1mm in 600mm sounds straight enough. I am sure that you can close that with one finger's pressure and the tape should hold that with no problem.
Old Mon 14 December 2009, 06:26
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Gerald,
Thanks again for a fast reply, one question leads to another. I also observe that I can't mash 2 racks teeth to teeth perfectly, is this a problem?

This is on the right end
one end of rack.jpg

this is on the left end
left end of rack.jpg
Old Mon 14 December 2009, 06:46
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Mach allows you to compensate for these differences (see "screw mapping") but I havn't heard that this is used for racks. What does your supplier say about his quality? It may be his normal standard . . . .
Old Mon 14 December 2009, 07:01
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I have not ask them yet. My pass experience with racks are module 10 and larger, they normally mesh up nicely with acceptable tiny gaps but Module 1 is so small & I'm puzzled.

This one looks like there is a cumulated error along the whole length...
Old Mon 14 December 2009, 10:54
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Sorry to see this.

Have you tried brushing along the teeth with a wire brush to be shure no leftover steelparts are inbetween teeth? I had the same leftovers and wondered why they don`t fit 100%.
Yes, I`m a dentist and I`m obsessed with leftovers between teeth.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read