MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sun 20 February 2011, 11:20
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Bel jou more.
Old Mon 21 February 2011, 08:06
skillalot
Just call me: Sascha

Gelderland
Netherlands
This is my first post on the mechmate forum, I have no plans on building one as I don't have any space for it, but I'm building a small cnc router (1000x500x200 travel). Most of the time I'm just here to see what everyone is doing with their mechmates. Kobus, I always like what you make with your mechmate.

Ziet er allemaal goed uit!!!

Those bearings can be purchased quite cheap on ebay. There is a ebaystore from China that sells them. If you google for linearmotionbearings2008 you'll find him. The man behind the store is Chai, and he is very helpfull.
I don't know anything about shipping costs to Afrika though, but I ordered things twice there.

The first time i ordered linear supported shafts, 2 x 1200, 2 x 700 and 2 x 350, and 3 ballscrews of about the same length, with bearingblocks and flexible couplings.
All together it was €350, + €150 shipping, + €70 customs.

Second time i bought a 1.5KW watercooled spindle with VFD and ER11 collet set, for €300 including shipping to the Netherlands.

If you need any of his products, just mail him what you need with dimensions and numbers, and he'll add them as a set to his store and mails you the direct link to it.

Regards
Sascha
Old Mon 21 February 2011, 11:38
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Bedankt Sascha, ga even kijken
Old Tue 22 February 2011, 01:39
CoRn3
Just call me: Corné

Pretoria
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post

Note..the wooden parts are just for getting it all sorted..As I cannot design in CAD, I build it this way, and will then have the parts made by a Laser Cutter.
I'll donate some CAD time if you want.
Old Tue 22 February 2011, 03:52
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thank's Corne, but at the moment I am building the small machine with whatever I can lay my hands on. So it's a matter of doing it, then measuring and doing small parts in Aspire as I go along.
Old Thu 24 February 2011, 11:48
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Prototype is taking shape. Nice to have a machine that can help to make another machine.

I am sure some things will still change.
DSC01668.JPG
Old Thu 24 February 2011, 22:45
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Now this is a smart lawn mower attachment!
Old Thu 24 February 2011, 23:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I also thought it was stuck on the back of the lawmower
Old Fri 25 February 2011, 00:47
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ja ja you backward okes..never had a CNC lawnmower ???..Keeping up with the Joneses
Old Mon 28 February 2011, 11:37
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ok Hennie, does this BEEG BEEG box make you happy ?

DSC01670.JPG
Old Mon 28 February 2011, 11:59
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Hel, soos hulle aan gegaan het was dit so groot soos `n staal trommel.Ek Hoop dit was die wag werd,soos ek gese het ek dink die goed was al lankal hier.This is what a box with 16 motors look like
Old Mon 28 February 2011, 12:04
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ok,Kobus now we need to get those rails here.Anybody interrested in some rails with bearings.We are going to bring some rails and blocks in next.
Old Mon 28 February 2011, 13:01
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
There's enough motors there to get a production line going...
Old Sat 05 March 2011, 08:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Today I had to make a house number sign...delivered it so quickly, did not take a picture of it...but will wait until the customer paint it then see if I can get a picture. Used the INLAY TOOL in ASPIRE....worked like a charm.

Also decided to get going with my violin / s... Re-Saw on bandsaw.

DSC01672.JPG
DSC01674.JPG

Glued it and then used my BBB planer to get it nice and flat.

DSC01673.JPG

Marius / Avo remember the files you send me long long time ago. Had to make another mirror and this is it.

DSC01678.JPG

Used the KEYHOLE Gadget in Aspire to do this at the back.

DSC01680.JPG
Old Sat 05 March 2011, 13:01
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Glad to see that I could help you with something . I told to all my friends about your violin project. Great job ! One question: how many hp has your band saw ? I want to buy one.
Old Sat 05 March 2011, 21:29
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I really don't know ,this is an old 14 inch bandsaw. I think their motors are 3/4 horse ? Maybe somebody else knows.
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 04:48
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Lovely! May I ask what bit & depth of cut for the mirror frame? Must had took a long time too.
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 05:24
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Ken,

Did the cut with a 12mm 90 deg V-cutter at 1.5mm deep. Lot's of lines, but the cutting was only 54 minutes.... did slow the feedrate down a bit so it does not shake the table too much.

Busy with another one the same design, but I painted all the different parts last night. Tonight I will run the cutter again, cleaning up the lines where I painted over them.

Size of mirror is only 900 x 600
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 05:36
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
As usual Kobus, very nice work!! Looking very forward to your progress with the latest violin build :-)

Cheers
Tony.
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 05:47
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Tony. Yes I cannot wait for the weekend starting the top and bottom with the PROPER violin wood.
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 00:02
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
kobus, thanks for sharing the details, did you use CV setting for the 54 min cut? I also assume you run at 200~220ipm @22000rpm.
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 02:05
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
What is 200ipm...............85mm/sec ?
That bit was setup for 60mm/sec and I think I took it down in Mach3 to 70%
I think I always run CV
Router set to 80% of top speed...setting 6 of 8 I think ... rpm ??
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 02:52
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Pardon me, I forgot you are a fellow metric user.
With ornamental works which are not too complex IMO similar to yours. Using with V-bits at depth less then 2mm, my usual habit is 24000rpm, 80~90mm/sec, also G64 P0.1
Upon commencing the run, tune the spindle speed & feeding speed as it go, judging these adjustment by cutting noise, table jerks & most importantly smell of char wood .
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 05:17
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Funny how one learns to listen to your machine. I make use of the Mach3 feed rate all the time during cutting. Long straight cuts....up to 200% of the normal feedrate. Small pieces with lots of curves sometimes down to 30% of my NORMAL feedrate.
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 05:47
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Agree, I wish I have the same patient listening to my wife...

With EMC2, you can have the speed over-write button custom, I set mine to 300%, could had been 500% but I don't like the resolution.
Old Tue 15 March 2011, 10:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Well the BOSS wanted me to make another mirror, but to paint it. Well, me and paint aint no friends, but this was my attempt.

Mirror.jpg

Lesson learned:

When you do the first cut, don't cut to final depth....just mark the lines with a 0.8mm cutting depth.
Then paint all the different pieces...don't worry if you paint slightly over the lines.
Let dry and do FINAL cut...say 1.5mm deep with 90 deg 12mm cutter to clean the cutting lines.
Finally I gave it a spray of 2K clear lacquar as we did some painting on my son's bike fairing at the same time.
Old Tue 15 March 2011, 23:17
Brad Maritz
Just call me: Brad

Joburg
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Brad Maritz
Looks very Nice

I cannot wait for my MM to be up and running this weeked. Greg from CNC Direct will pop by just to check everything and help set up Mach3 software, Then I can start making stuff.
Old Wed 16 March 2011, 01:58
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Brilliant job!!!
Old Wed 16 March 2011, 10:12
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
The color combination seems perfect!