MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Thu 08 November 2007, 08:36
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Alan, you have a fine eye for detail - want a job?
All very useful comments, more will always be appreciated.

Sean, after a scare about dust ingress, I think I can revise the X&Y (geared) motor plates so that the wires enter from the bottom. (I didn't bring the thumb-drive home so I don't have numbers here). I could gang some more cut/bent parts but I didn't know how the economic impact is with your supplier. (The relationship between my company and our cutter/bender is such that we pay $1.30 for a bend of any size, any thickness - it all just averages out)

Marc (and others), I am toying with leaving the "Classic" as open freeware, and charging for downloads of the "XYZ". Get it while you can.
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 08:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
(I didn't bring the thumb-drive home so I don't have numbers here)
But then I remembered the back-up

Save the attached file as a .dxf - Should be okay. Will sleep on it tonight.
Attached Files
File Type: txt M510314PB.txt (18.0 KB, 112 views)
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 09:06
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald,
I wouldn't spend the extra effort. The financial impact is very minimal. The cost here in Florida is about the same 1.50/bend on a similar setup. The nice feature is "less small parts" to get lost in shipping!

Got to file...thanks, updated.
Sean
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 11:22
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
For those looking at the .pdf's of the drawing sheets, are they automatically displaying in landscape? Do they go to the printers okay? Okay on folio paper? (We use A4)
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 11:29
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
10 10 240 WA - proxy holes not indicated Old mistake from earlier drawings
10 10 200 AA & 10 10 220 AA - proxy holes shown in different positions, whereas 200AA incorrect, 220AA correct (Holes moved inboard so that proxy's can miss screws of V-Cap rail)
10 10 246 & 10 10 247 - proxy holes shown in the same position.
ditto for 10 20 200 / 10 20 220 / 10 20 246 / 10 20 247 Some tidying up to do . . . .
Remember, those proxy's are still a grey area. To get proxy's to work with Mach3 and a BOB, they have to be in series - and the only way I can think of getting them in series is to add a tiny relay to each one. That discussion for another thread . . . . .

Note on 10 20 451 BA and 10 20 452 BA refers to drilling - what drilling, is that the countersink? Yes, only the countersinks. Here is someone who missed those countersinks on those 10 451/2 drawings - messed up the paint doing it with a portable drill later. (The heads of those screws would foul the rails if not countersunk) Okay that pic is of the y-car, but the same thing applies

10 30 450 DC - why the change to countersink "handing" Check the tabs on the laser cuttings - the Y-car will only assemble in one handing now, and avoid Hugo's issue of getting the cable chain on the wrong side.

10 40 14 AA - why is the slide tube longer than the slide plate in 14" version? A gas spring with 14" stroke has a longer body and needs a higher anchor point

Cable chain shelf 10 60 215 / 315 is not shown in the Part1 - Part5 PDFs only in the bending PDF and DXF folder. - Where do they fit on the gantry / table? Oops, all the 10 60 dwgs are missing from part 3/4
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 12:54
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Alan, you have a fine eye for detail - want a job?
All very useful comments, more will always be appreciated.
Make me an offer...

Its always easy to find something somebody else missed, when one is so into a project it easy to miss small details, one reason I always have somebody else check my drawings as well, oh and print them out thats when the really foolish ones smack you in the face... always happy to help and give something back
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 13:00
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald,
I printed everything a few minutes ago. They display fine, but as you noted A4 is not the same as 8.5x11 letter in the US. I would add a print or readme file to the zip file to suggest folks adjust their printers to "scale to fit" on output to printer. Your drawings are not critical to print 1:1 anyway. Otherwise, the right hand border of the page is almost completely cut off. I usually stock A4 paper at the office, but not a home Alan great note about giving back.....That's why I will be happy to give back and happily see Gerald monetize versions of his design. Hard work deserves great reward. I can't wait to write him a check for the first MM I build for someone else!

Last edited by smreish; Thu 08 November 2007 at 13:03..
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 13:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
You guys have PayPal to thank for getting all this for free - while they will accept money FROM us, but they refuse to pay money TO anyone on the African continent. Thank guys like the Nigerian scammers for that
Just toying with the idea.... I would even be perfectly happen to pay the guys their money back when they post finished photos. Looking at the stats, 2000 plan dowloads and less than 10 machines finished. Gee, I could pay triple back and still make a profit.
Enough nonsense talk - bedtime!
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 22:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Alan, at the office now and looking at the proxy hole drawings....
All 4 of the sheets that show where to drill the holes are correct, they show the new dimension from the edge to center as 30mm [1.25"]. So, nobody should make a mistake there. What you picked up are the views showing the rails either welded, or assembled, and on those views I hadn't yet moved the hole, or forgot them altogether. But, it shouldn't matter . . . . the hole location is correctly given on the correct drawing.

This is fairly standard drawing office practice, for people who havn't got fancy 3d modelling software to carry all draughting changes through to the final assy. Remember the old note "DO NOT SCALE"? Same applies here. My bigger priority on the rails is to do a stop-block for the alu rail bases. Very few DIY'ers can weld alu, so that will be a bolt-on system. Maybe then I will refresh those "higher-level" drawings. (even the 30mm dimension on those 4 drawings is not to scale . . . yet )
Old Thu 08 November 2007, 22:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Part3.pdf and Profiles.....zip have been adjusted and reloaded above
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 01:45
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
On the name of this version, I would like an African animal name. One of the lesser known animals. The "Ratel" (Afrikaans for honey badger) appeals to me as an animal - it is short legged, heavy set and tough but the word ratel is going to be pronounced rattle and we don't want that!! "Badger" might do, but that is not African enough. (In English, "ratel" it is accented on the first syllable, and the "a" is pronounced as in "father.")
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 05:36
driller
Just call me:

If you were into the Gods, I would think Visnu as Visnu has multiple arms and that would imply both power and speed.

I looked on Google for animal names in Africa, but alas, google is very Americanized.

Would a crocodile or alligator be good ? it represents power and the ability to take a bite out of wood ?

Dave
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 06:24
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Visnu is Asian, not African - besides, those multiple arms could imply 5-axis. Let's not go there! Crocs have no finesse - they are completely unpredictable and not to be trusted. Lion is too obvious. Rhino might have worked, except it can confuse with the software. Zebra has nice geometric patterns. . . . . .
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 06:47
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I like the idea of animal names and think they ought to be some kind of aggressive meateater with lots of teeth. That creates the impression that it will zoom through any project you throw at it.

If you start charging for downloads, business might actually pick up. A friend at work said his neighbor put an ad in the paper for free kittens but didn't get a single call. The next week she changed the ad to say $10 and got rid of all of them in a couple of days.
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 09:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I have decided on "Mamba"

"Humans are actually their predators, rather than their prey" this hit a chord - don't let the machine rule you - you rule the machine.
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 10:15
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
So does that mean I can I design you a new logo for the machine to go next to the MechMate name? Like an add-on. I will offer up my design services for you Gerald - and darn happy to do it. Sean
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 10:34
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Sean, we are having enough problems getting just the word MechMate put on there! But a small optional logo that adds to the original, would be great - thanks! Don't let it distract you from your builds though!
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 13:25
GregW
Just call me:

Gerald,

So as of right now the drawings are all up to date and ready to go?

Thanks for the hard work,
Greg
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 20:14
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Greg, I believe it is a "buildable" set of drawings where are the parts will fit together. In some areas there are some small details missing (eg. list of screws to fit the cable chains). But nobody will be wasting time or money by getting started with a build on this set.
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 20:29
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Everything prints fine for me. Looking over the plans tonight. Thanks again.
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 20:47
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Heath - see what troubles you caused when you started this thread exactly a month ago?

Actually, what triggerered the revision was Donald pulling out of supplying sets of lasered parts. That gave me the window to fiddle with the cable chain designs a bit. But then the capped rail also became a realistic possibility if the cars were lifted by 4mm each. And the grind skate came on top of that . . .
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 21:33
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
The revisions are great! I was just about to order the laser cut parts when you mentioned the new set. I didnt mean to start a panic for the new drawings.

On checking, remember its late here, I noticed the following:

10 40 432 b b is the bend drawing for the spider plate. It shows the old 4 roller version and all other drawings seem to show the right 6 roller version?

10 20 000 a b shows both capped rail and ground rail options. The capped rail option looks like it is not the same width between rail tip to rail tip. Is this an optical illusion, if not then how does the ycar handle the two widths?

Its late, more looking tomorrow.

Hope your flu is better Gerald.
Old Fri 09 November 2007, 22:08
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Ok one more before bed.

M1 20 100 A A calls up M1 20 141 T but I cannot find it in any of the files. Ah, is this were the ground rail verses Vcap rail differences are made up? The thin nut does look different for the two options, but are the differences shown on M1 20 141 T?
Old Sat 10 November 2007, 00:36
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done Heath, you spotted an error that Alan missed! (Alan, the job offer is withdrawn).

Yes, I had meant to make a drawing sheet for that thin nut. There were a few things I had wanted to say, but I think I ended up saying them on the forum instead - see from this post onwards, regarding contact with the seal.

But, folk here havn't really discussed it, that bit behind the wheel is critical - that is where you adjust whether your machine shakes or cuts square! You should be spending a couple of hours behind the wheels to get everything just right. Who will start the new thread?
Old Sat 10 November 2007, 00:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Oops Heath, I didn't see that you had double posted. Your first post . . .

The bending of the spider will not be affected by whether there are 6 or 4 holes. It wasn't essential to add that small detail to that view. Folk will find lots of these types of "errors". If I did add the detail, I would not have changed the revision level, because the description of the revision would be meaningless. Imagine what sheet 10 00 000 A would look like if all the changes are shown all the way through to the highest assembly? Solid modelling 3D CAD solves this issue to give the right visual, but no better info for the guy on the shop floor.

Handling of Y-Car widths we have touched on - the spacing behind the wheel gets it all right.

The flu is still here, which ties me to the computer more, which actually got the drawing set out!
Old Sat 10 November 2007, 10:30
tpworks
Just call me: Tom

Atlanta, GA
United States of America
did a search for Mamba art and this is what I found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Blackmamba.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BlackMambaSS1.jpg
Old Sat 10 November 2007, 10:53
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald. Dwg 10 10 247 the dimensioned hole for prox is 1.83 and the noted dimension called in the notes is 1.81. Fyi if you haven't noticed it yet. Sean
Old Sat 10 November 2007, 11:45
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Sean, that type of difference in dimensions shows I don't have a feel for inches and whether the second decimal is relevant when marking out drilled holes like this. I guess I should have rounded that down to 1.8", but I mostly rely on AutoCad to give the inches. Will mark it for revision, thanks.
Old Sat 10 November 2007, 12:22
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald,
Dimensionally, you will never see that in layout. Heck, that's about a scribe line thickness - your machine and adjustability is much smarter than that I just noticed it for continuity. Personally, I prefer mm...it's easier to get right in the shop! Explaining 1/32" of an inch or .01mm...decimal WAY easier.
Old Thu 15 November 2007, 12:01
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Basic spreadsheet for expansion . . . .

Nils of Florida has very kindly typed all the drawing numbers, processes, rev levels and descriptions in a blank excel spreadsheet, for further use by everyone. I typically add supplier names, costs, material lists to such a spreadsheet and then sort by supplier name, or process, etc. Invaluable for determining shopping list, tools list and areas of risk.

Thanks Nils
Attached Files
File Type: zip MechMate_Mamba_Drawing_Index_Rev_1.0.zip (8.4 KB, 392 views)
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read