MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 04 March 2010, 08:43
dkrueger
Just call me: Doug

Hubbard Lake, MI
United States of America
Question Wanting to build a CNC router

I new a this idea, but not new at using cnc machines. I used to work in a machine shop using various cnc machine. I have been thing about getting a cnc for woodworking, making signs. i'm looking for about a 2x4 to 2x8 foot cutting area. Not sure on what kind of cost it takes to build one and how hard it would be. any info would be great.
Old Thu 04 March 2010, 08:47
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Up to 4x4 size, consider a Joe's machine.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346

If you want 4x8 or larger, the MechMate is the best choice.
Old Thu 04 March 2010, 18:55
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrueger View Post
Not sure on what kind of cost it takes to build one and how hard it would be. any info would be great.
Do a lot of reading here + quotations around & you will have a ball park cost figure.

Everyone has a different skill level. Build one & you will how how hard/easy it would be.

hope this helps
Old Fri 05 March 2010, 05:12
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Doug - Welcome and read around on the forum that stuff is detailed well here. The size you are looking at tells me a standard build machine would work fine for you making signs. Many here do just that with their MM.

Again - Welcome Aboard !!!
Old Fri 05 March 2010, 06:41
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
I would only build smaller if work space limits the size. The difference in cost and work would not be much of a factor otherwise. I would not want to handle material more than necessary. IE, cut on table saw and move to router... (needs an overworked smiley here...)
Old Fri 05 March 2010, 08:38
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I agree. One good thing with the standard table is you can use it to size your boards wiht an end cutter and then use the ball nose and v bits to carve the sign.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read