MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 60. Wiring & Cable Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 19 May 2008, 08:23
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
To David : From what I can see from the tech drawing at those respected manufacturer, the radius is the dim from the center line not the total outside height !. If you select say the Igus w/100mm (3.94”) radi #200-05, the actual total outside height of this radi will be 235mm(9.25”) You MUST take in account the thickness (height) of the E-chain !!
Same for the Igus w/75mm radi = Total H = 185mm (7.28”) !!!
The radiuses given dim are the values from center thickness of those E-chains.
I think it's easier to just ignore the radius (other than to ensure the turn isn't to tight for the cables in it) - look at the "Loop Height" listed in McMaster's spec table - it lists the total overall height when the chain is at it's maximum internal radius and both "legs" are parallel to one another. For the Y-axis, this should be 7" + the height of the cable chain itself. So, ideally you want an overall height of 8" when using a 1" high/tall chain.

Does anyone know where to purchase the Igus 20-2-075-0 Gerald recommends?
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 09:11
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
Does anyone know where to purchase the Igus 20-2-075-0 Gerald recommends?
David,

It has been change to new Igus numbers since last Gerald original post
Look up for the E2 series, 200/240/250 section
#200-03 is the 38w x 25h inside dim [1.50" x 0.98"] x the radi you want (75mm best).
The #200-05 is the next step, 57w x 25h [2.24"x 0.98")
The 200 series is a non snap-open chain. If you want open individual tabs, #240 for inner radius opening & #250 for the outer opening. See IGUS web for more detail.
Hope this can help, Robert
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 07:10
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
With the 3.94" radius, it does bend up a bit . . . . .
. . . . . .that is why I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
The Mamba brackets are designed for 75mm [3"] radius chain. If using 100mm [4"] radius chain, the bracket on the y-car needs to be slightly bent up or a spacer must be put under the end of the chain where it connects to the bracket.
In your case, bend the nose of bracket 10 60 325 up at an angle, to even out the y-chain.
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 07:12
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Does anyone know where to purchase the Igus ******* Gerald recommends?
I thought that Igus has on-line shopping in the US? Recall somebody mentioning that they had a successful direct purchase. . . .
Old Sat 07 June 2008, 08:20
ekdenton
Just call me: Ed #8

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
I used the Mcmaster part # that was recomended, i must have gotten the larger radius also because I am at about 10" outside to outside on the tightest bend I could get. It wasn't any problem to fix though I just lowered my x chain brackets by adding a small plate, and I lowered my y support bracket slightly and bent the zcar bracket for the y chain. All my chains now look nice and parallel with the Mechmate. I don't think anyone that didn't know, would think it was designed to be like that anyway.

Old Tue 08 July 2008, 07:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
For the S.Africans:

The local cable chain suppliers are ranging between R544 and R674 per meter. (That includes Kobus's Magquip connection for Kabelschlep in Roodepoort). McMaster-Carr is selling 6ft lengths at $75, which translates to R328 per meter. A huge difference!

http://za.rs-online.com/web/ has some attractive prices, even though it is a mail order house operating out of England . . . . .
Old Mon 29 September 2008, 21:40
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Using smaller radius chains

Copied from a personal thread:

We got the chains mounted . . . . .

Old Mon 29 September 2008, 23:12
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice pictures!

Maybe I made this too tight . . . . .

Can't remember what my thinking was there, but it looks like the screw head is going to foul with the chain. Is anyone having an issue over here?
Old Mon 29 September 2008, 23:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Because you are using a small radius cable chain, you don't have much other option for attaching it to the y-car. (Mostly we would use a bigger radius chain and attach on top). But, you can drill some holes in your Y-car (near where you have the marked A) and pass the cables inside of the Y-car as soon as they leave the chain.
Old Tue 30 September 2008, 22:11
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Gerald,
Do you think a hole in the car is better than a hole through the bracket and then into the two holes on top of the car? Astheticly I like your idea better. We liked the look of small radius chain and used the same width for both. Might have been better to have used narrower chain for y.

Old Tue 30 September 2008, 22:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Okay, that screw head does clear okay.

That part of the Y-car can be drilled for the cables. I might even add some holes there on the laser cuts.

The smaller radius cable chain should be okay. It is decided by the minimum radius of the stuff you want to put into it. That might include hoses and thick cables for serious spindles and/or air/sand blasters.
Old Tue 16 December 2008, 09:18
Valdir Fernandes da Cruz
Just call me: Valdir

Curitiba - Paraná
Brazil
Hi all, see in the link below, some information about cable chain.
Valdir
Old Tue 16 December 2008, 09:21
Valdir Fernandes da Cruz

Curitiba - Paraná
Brazil
Sorry, you can see the cable chain demonstration below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAPmZ...eature=channel
Valdir
Old Tue 16 December 2008, 09:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Valdir, I would like to see what happens when that cable chain is bumped from the side with a sheet of plywood. The nylon cable chains will snap open, but they can be clipped together again with no permanent damage.
Old Tue 16 December 2008, 14:06
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Confession time. I made some cable chain and it looked almost identical to the one in the video, but just couldn't make myself use it. I reasoned my $20,000 MechMate deserved the extra $150.
Old Sat 17 January 2009, 18:47
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=25257&page=13
Are have a DIY design for making chain. They have a DXF for a couple of
different designs if anyone is interested.
Old Tue 20 January 2009, 08:10
Valdir Fernandes da Cruz

Curitiba - Paraná
Brazil
Hi Gerald,
MDF is not really a good material, if necessary, we can to use other material,
Valdir
Old Thu 22 January 2009, 01:00
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
I found a local chap (South Africa) that makes a chain that cost effective and available. He only makes one size but it is good enough for most machines. The best is that it only cost R250-00 per meter. His name is Raymond, 083 283 6715.
Old Wed 28 January 2009, 07:37
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Gerald,
I have purchased some of the chain from Raymond and I am very happy with it. The radius is actually 75mm, just right for the MM.
Old Wed 25 February 2009, 03:31
kanankeban
Just call me: Hector #89

Monterrey
Mexico
cable chain source

I bought the IGUS cable carriers from www.reidsupply.com cheaper than mcmaster (about 30 dlls less), the only turnoaround was that they didnt have them in stock, 2 weeks wait, not problem at all with them, they appreciated my business, I got a thanks email, and a invitation for a contest for some free stuff, It made me feel better after mcmaster insident .Only two things more from macmaster I wish, tension springs, and gas springs, but sure ill get them from some one else ...
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 22:46
buibui
Just call me: John #34

Seattle
United States of America
Direct Order from Igus

I ordered my chains today directly from Igus. Their prices seemed reasonable (about $3-4 less than McMaster) and they had in stock the smaller 2.95 radius, which I had a hard time finding elsewhere. I ordered the following:

200.03.075 (1.5 x .98 ID, 2.95R) $10.59/ft
200.05.100 (2.24 x .98 ID, 3.94R) $11.66/ft

I couldn't find a link to order through their website, but I ordered over the phone at 1-800-521-2747. Not sure if they ship internationally.
Old Thu 14 May 2009, 06:18
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
John did you order the cable ends?
Old Thu 14 May 2009, 23:05
buibui
Just call me: John #34

Seattle
United States of America
I almost forgot but the Igus rep reminded me. They were $11-12/set...oddly a dollar more than McMaster.

I got the pivoting kind of bracket...is this correct?
Old Mon 18 May 2009, 05:13
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
You just need some way to connect the ends to the metal, they should work fine.
Old Mon 18 May 2009, 05:22
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John,

Yes, they pivot. They will work fine.

I am surprised that from the factory they were less expensive. They usually are more. They must be working on selling product.
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 06:04
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
I was quoted $125/meter+tax (3.3feet) from the local igus distributor for 200.03.075, I find the quote a ripoff. So I started looking in USA, found that this model is no longer listed at their site, the suggested replacements are:

2500.03.075.0 E-Chains® Series 2500
2030.12PZB Mounting bracket, complete set incl. tiewrap plates 2030.34PZB Mounting bracket, complete set incl. tiewrap plates
2500.05.075.0 E-Chains® Series 2500
2050.12PZB Mounting bracket, complete set with chain tiewrap plate
2050.34PZB Mounting bracket, complete set with chain tiewrap plate

Im waiting for their quote.
Old Fri 06 August 2010, 13:34
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Received the quote, the chains are USD13ish/feet ex-factory Igus USA, but in the meantime I found a local source for the CPS cablechain (the one with the blue dots on the side). I was quoted USD37/meter, local price and inmediate availability!! Model CPS036N.035 and CPS036N.055

Here is the datasheet

I have one question, given the choice of 70 or 90mm bending radius, what would be better?
Old Fri 06 August 2010, 14:54
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Pablo,
90 would be my choice....That puts the overall loop size about 200mm or 8" Any tighter you might start breaking cable fiber.
Old Fri 06 August 2010, 17:03
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
I was going to check into cps cable chain, but their website is listed as "dangerous" by google.
Old Fri 06 August 2010, 17:10
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
I received the same warning, but Im brave and I went ahead, nothing happened (I have nod32 antivirus up to date just in case)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read