MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 29 March 2014, 14:51
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
The 135 Miller will work fine up to 3/8" max if you preheat the steel or make a root pass then clean (if using flux core) then multiple passes to cover. Preheating with a torch, then welding will work to. I have done both and prefer the torch method. A larger welder would be better but it is about the technique not the size of the welder that will make your weld the best. Best to practice with scrap pieces first no matter what avenue you travel.
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 20:17
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
I ended up doing my entire build with an old stick welder. My welds aren't the prettiest, but having attempted several destructive tests on them (not on the Mechmate, on test pieces), I'm pretty sure that I won't have a weld fail any time soon. But like Pete said: Practice first.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 06:03
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I stick welded everything except my Y-car with a Lincoln AC welder.
I used a 140 Mig welder with gas on the Y car.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 07:41
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Quote:
How does this level of machine compare with the $120k machine.
I happen to use machines in that range and higher.

The extra $100,000 buys you quite a few things.

- A 5000+lb heavy welded steel, precion machined frame.

- ~$10,000 worth of linear bearings

- ~$10,000+ worh of big precision ballscrews (often with rotating nuts) or helical rack and pinion

- Big AC servos and drives that will typically cost ~$3000-$5000 per axis.

- A $10,000 ATC spindle and possibly a tool change system that costs another $10K+

- more sensors and electronics than you can imagine, to both prevent possible machine damage and operator injury (or worse)

- A Custom control designed specifically for that machine. This is a big one, as it can add a lot of functionality and make the machine much more flexible and powerful.

- Not just a salesman in the suit (who typically know very little about the operation of the machine), but a readily available tech support staff, and a fully stocked parts dept.

- A huge leap in performance

For certain applications, that extra $100,000 can pay for itself in a year or less.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 17:49
pblackburn

United States of America
Gerald said something similar here
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 17:52
pblackburn

United States of America
We have had some here that started with a Mechmate until they upgraded when business requirements dictated.
Old Fri 17 July 2015, 01:03
bwiab
Just call me: bwiab

denver co
United States of America
I've been pouring over the table section in the plans and I'm still confused as to where the table size is defined. From what I can deduce, if I substitute my desired x and y (the same size of largest sheet stock I will be routing) for the support board, that will dictate the size of my table. Is that correct? I'm specifically looking at 10 10 123 D. Is that what drives the dimensions of the table? Or do I just need to study more?
Old Fri 17 July 2015, 10:38
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Here you go... Post #5, section #3

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...ght=band+rails
Old Thu 01 July 2021, 21:11
bwiab
Just call me: bwiab

denver co
United States of America
Well... mechmate didn't work out for me. 7 years later... I ended up buying a kit and built it in about a month. But... finally cutting... thanks to you all who put up with my newb questions back in the day. AND power to you mech mate guys... there was a point where the plans all made sense but the realities of my life never lent me the time I needed to dedicate to it... now to finish that dust collection set up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210616_181818 - Copy.jpg (137.4 KB, 22 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read