MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 29 October 2015, 02:35
lukelucas93
Just call me: Luke

Newcastle
United Kingdom
A little help required (PK296A2A-SG7.2 setup)

So I have collected my parts and constructed the X with Z carriage I have numerous questions but to tackle the main one first. I have my PK296A2A-SG7.2's but cant seem to find the information that I want in order to set them up safely. I have 45v going to my stepper drivers, to the motors I have a limit of 20,000 pulse/rev and 3.76A (peak) (2.69A RMS) can this be brought up to 4.20A (Peak) (3A RMS) and maximum pulse/rev (25,000) ?
I don't want to loose all the magic smoke on there first test! I'll make a proper thread hopefully on the weekend and put some pictures up of my progress so far. If anyone is interested this project will be the completion of mphel's machine!
(on that can anyone confirm if it has a serial ?)

Many Thanks
Luke
Old Thu 29 October 2015, 03:14
lukelucas93

Newcastle
United Kingdom
Edit. Can someone also link me to the motor cable diagram for wiring them up, again I don't want the magic smoke to disappear !
Old Thu 29 October 2015, 12:42
lukelucas93

Newcastle
United Kingdom
Ok maybe I have left this a question a little too broad after further reading I believe the option best for me is wiring the motors "half-coil at 35VDC and 3A". Due to my maximum voltage on the driver being 50v. So I'm now just looking for the following info-

1) Can someone tell me/ show me the colour code for the PK296A2A-SG7.2 wires ?
2) Hints on how to wire up the PK296A2A-SG7.2 in half coil
3) Is the 3A rating on the stepper RMS or Peak ?
Old Thu 29 October 2015, 13:00
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
1) Go to the oriental motors page for this this motor (hint, google the model number, it'll take you right there): On the right side , click on "Connection Diagram".

2) From that diagram, use Black and Yellow for one phase ( or Yellow and Green ), and Blue and White for the other ( or White and Red ). If your motor runs "backwards" in your view, reverse one pair ( swap black and yellow ).

3) Ratings on steppers are tricky. You can treat it as peak. If you determine that they are running too warm, you can reduce. Note, you're talking about numbers that are well within the known range of that motor, which has very conservative electrical ratings to protect the gearbox from excessive torque. You won't be causing the motors to melt. This isn't true in extremes; don't pump 10a into a motor rated for 1a.

Not asked: You might go back to 45v if that's possible for better performance. Go ahead and test at 35v if you wish.

If the machine was never completed, then it doesn't have a serial number.
Old Thu 29 October 2015, 15:00
lukelucas93

Newcastle
United Kingdom
Hi Brad thank you for the help! I have had my head in the books again and on the web and was beginning to understand what was going on.
I had not noticed the link for the diagram on the page many thanks on that, it makes perfect logical sense now.
I have a pre-built power supply that has a variable output so I can crank it back up to 45v if it isn't a hazard to the motor, I would prefer things to work in an safe range and not be under any stress !
The machine was cutting but steel not totally complete and was not painted or fitted with logo's so I'll take that is unregistered.

Thanks for the help so far !
Luke
Old Mon 02 November 2015, 12:17
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Luke,
I used those motors on all of my builds at 56VDC - bipolar. (but unipolar would be an equal good choice)

Happily still running after 8 years now - no issues.

Sean

*(howdy Brad!)*
Old Mon 02 November 2015, 13:31
lukelucas93

Newcastle
United Kingdom
Hi Sean thank you for the reply, maybe Im worrying a little too much about these motors ! I have them hooked up to the power supply now but having some trouble with getting them to turn through the BOB and mach 3. I'm a tiny bit out of my depth with software can anyone point me in the right direction to work out "tuning motors" in mach 3 ? Can I use a generic bunch of settings for these motors and rack ? Anyone got a setup like this and want to share their settings? I'm trying to find a starting point. Its all quite new still !

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read