MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 05 May 2010, 14:30
Shanker
Just call me: Rick

Red Deer
Canada
Hello From Red Deer, Alberta Canada !!

Hello all!! I've been lurking for about a two months and doing as much reading as possible. This machine has taken over my life!! I can honestly say that from the time I saw this machine, I cleraly new in my mind that I was going to build her! She's a beauty!!

I'm a machinist by trade but I have no cnc experience. I have made a life change and last year I decided to go back to school full time to pursure a Bach. of Education degree and become a teacher. After my first year my wife was not enjoying living on a students salary...so I went out looking for work. My goal was to continue to pursue my B of Ed after hours and weekends. Oh, I guess I should mention that I am 46 years old. The transition to student was much easier for me than for my wife. She was a trouper. Now I'm working full time for the College in the trades area, and they are allowing me to continue with my pursuit of a degree. I feel that I have the best of both worlds. In my new working enviornment we purchased a General CNC router that I have spent a lot of time on trying to get running. I have since become hooked on these machines and that is how I came across this oassis of a site.

I've always been a confident guy who is not afraid of challenges and I thought that I'd jump right into the build. I thankfully followed the advice most of you drill into the newbies to read as much as possible. I feel like I know some of you because of your dedication to this forum and it's ideals. What I've learned is that I have much more to read and learn that I ever imagined, even to the point where I questioned if this was something that I could indeed pull off. To your credit, unknowingly you folks have kept me inspired and motivated by the stories that I have read on this site. I do believe I can do this and I do recognise that it will take time, planning and the assistance of you folks. I'm not ready to start my build yet but I will be joinning in on discussions to help prepare me for this next great adventure...so expect a lot of basic questions ie. what does BBB stand for?

To every one of you members that contribute, and to the now legendary Gerald, thank you so much for this community!! You have given folks like me an opportunity to pursue a passion that would otherwise never be attainable. Please don't ever get tired of hearing that. Hats off to all!!

Are there any MM'ers in Western Canada? I've only heard of a couple of them in Winnepeg.
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 15:00
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Shanker!
Well BBB is Big Blue Brakpan. See Here for the thread that started it.

Last edited by domino11; Wed 05 May 2010 at 15:07..
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 15:04
cleyte
Just call me: Clayton #106

Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland
Canada
Hi Shanker,

Greetings from a trades teacher and MMer in Newfoundland. This is indeed an addictive website. I am in the early stages of my build and plan to gather all of the necessary parts before starting the assembly. Hopefully beginning to build during the summer break.

Welcome and enjoy your new preoccupation.

Clayton
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 21:35
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome aboard !!!
Old Thu 06 May 2010, 11:32
Shanker

Red Deer
Canada
linear bearings vs V groove

I'm trying to decide on which style of movement to proceed with. The difference in cost I can figure out but I'm not sure on some of the other pros/cons. Pertaining to performance, what are the major differences between the two? Does vibration or rigidity come into play or is there a significant difference between them? I have never seen the Vgroove bearings in action other than on youtube. They seem to be very smooth but are they rigid enough. What about dust and debris, does that cause problems between the v groove and the rail? Are the guys that machine aluminum with their MM OK with the bearings or do they need linear to handle the extra load?

One other site etiquette question; where should I post a thread like this. Do I post it here as I'm still in the planning mode or in the build section or in the 'rails and rollers' area?

Thanks.
Old Thu 06 May 2010, 13:10
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Rick,
The Vgroove bearing design is tried and proven. There are many guys here that cut all kinds of wood and some do cut non ferrous metals. If you are really looking for heavy duty milling, then you should be looking to a real metal type mill with cnc control. That is a different beast all together.

Your build thread is a great place to put all your questions, later a mod or site owner will copy relevant info over to the proper technical sections as required. Specific questions in the proper section are ok as well, its up to you. Some guys like to keep all their stuff in their own thread so you know where it all is later.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 13:42
Shanker

Red Deer
Canada
Bearings

Thanks Heath, I appreciate your input. I'm not going to be doing any heavy duty machining, simply hobby type woodworking projects. The reason I asked is that I may have a line on some linear bearings for a great price. So if the cost is identical I'd like to go with the best bang for my buck. It seems like most guys are using vGrooves so I assume that would mean less mod's to drawings and as you stated, tried and tested. That's good enough for me.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 13:50
dakmonf
Just call me: dakmon

Alberta
Canada
Rick;

Welcome to the site. It is good to have another Albertan.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 16:17
Shanker

Red Deer
Canada
Alberta?

Hello Dakmon, where in Alberta are you from?

What stage of the build are you at?

Rick.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 17:42
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
Rick;

I live in Sherwood Park, just outside of Edmonton. I have purchased almost everything, and am working on the control box at the moment. Will likely start cutting the steel next week.

Greg
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 22:02
Shanker

Red Deer
Canada
Dwg confusion

I need some clarification with dwg 10 10 000. At the bottom of the dwg there is a close up view of a resin filled csk carriage bolt. What does the dotted line in the dwg signify?

Thanks

Rick.
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 00:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Well spotted, and good question. . . . . . but, I can't see any reason for that bit of line being there!
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 12:15
Shanker

Red Deer
Canada
Visit?

Greg, I know Sherwood Park well. I coach a ball team in Red Deer and I'll be in a tournament in Sherwood Park in June (Doc Plotsky Memorial). Maybe I could pop in and meet you and see how your build is coming when I'm up there?

Rick
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 12:20
Shanker

Red Deer
Canada
Bolted base

While I was lurking several months ago I came across a build that had the base legs bolted together rather that welded. I can't seem to find that thread. Does anyone remember it or who that builder is? I have started a log book that I make these types of notes in so I can easily get to the threads I want to revisit. Thanksyou.

Rick
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 12:46
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
Rick;

PM me before you come up. If I have reached a stage of interest, you are more than welcome to stop by.
Take a look at Roberts build (Cozy Cabin Build). He is doing a terrific job with his (mostly) bolt together.
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 14:07
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
See here as well...and here for the flanges

Last edited by Alan_c; Wed 12 May 2010 at 14:12..
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 16:07
Polder48
Just call me: polder

Edam
Netherlands
Rick,

Also have a look over here:

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...30&postcount=1

Polder
Old Thu 13 May 2010, 13:55
Shanker

Red Deer
Canada
Base diagonal supports

I have noticed that some base table builds do not incorporate the diagonal supports. I assume these are designed to prevent racking in the table base. Has not using them caused anyone unwanted racking or vibration? I'm thinking of using the base as a storrage area so the diagonal supports in the end sections limits the functionality of that space. I was planning on using just the center section, but if the diagonals are not critical that would free up the two end sections. Reference dwg# 10 10 310 for visual of what I'm thinknig.

Thanks Ploder and Alan C for those links, exactally what I couldn't find!

Hey Greg...when you say PM me, do you mean for me to contact you in the PM (evening)?

Rick.
Old Thu 13 May 2010, 14:49
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
Rick;

I mean for you to send me a private message. Just click on my name above (in heading).

Greg
Old Fri 14 May 2010, 07:09
cleyte
Just call me: Clayton #106

Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland
Canada
Table Racking and storage

Hi Rick,

I am planning a 5' x 10' build and have given some thought to the huge amount of space that is available underneath the cutting surface as well. Since my machine will be approx. 6.5' finished width, I was planning on using the same design as Ross (Surfcnc). To avoid vibration/racking I was considering placing triangular gussets at the top and bottom of the vertical members in the end sections to leave at least 49" between the verticals. The gussets would have to go on the outside of course towards the corner legs.

See pictures of Ross's build here:

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...?t=2398&page=6

Clayton

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read