MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 01 September 2009, 21:04
macrex
Just call me: Richard

Victoria
Australia
Talking Hello from Frankston Victoria

Hi all,

I having been wanting a CNC machine for a long time now.

I am a builder / handyman / welder with 20 years in the IT industry as well.

I want a machine that will be able to do CNC routing as well as plasma cutting, Havent done enough reading to see if the Mechmate can do both.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 01:29
sprayhead
Just call me: Francis

sydney
Australia
uuu yeah it can.

How about use half the table for one and the other half for the other... sounds gool.

f.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 04:25
conceptz
Just call me: Troy

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Hi i have just started on here getting ready to build as i learn ( i am very confused at the moment lots of good info to absorb on this forum ) i will help if i can welcome Troy
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 08:21
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Richard,

I would also like a CNC plasma cutter but don't really have the room for both. I don't have the need to cut lots of similar steel shapes on a production basis but rather I'd like to have the computer guide the cuts so they are accurate and smooth. For a little while, I thought about converting my router to a plasma cutter but changed my mind. I decided that if I need to have a smooth and accurate cut made in steel, I'll use my router to cut out a wooden or thin aluminum guide for my handheld plasma torch.

I think you would have all kinds of problems with a machine that did both. As you probably already know, plasma cutters throw off a lot of metal dust and I think you'd have an impossible task ahead of you trying to keep that stuff out of the router's bearings.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 16:32
macrex

Victoria
Australia
Decisions

I think I will build a router only unit to suit 2440 X 1220 sheets. Plasma unit can wait and will probably be smaller anyway (1200 X 1200)
I already have a PC use (have 5 actually) and have enough steel in the workshop to build the table. So i would need to source the other components.
Any help on these regarding availablilty in the Melbourne region would be most helpful. Cheers
Old Thu 03 September 2009, 03:01
rnixon
Just call me: Rick #45

Vic
Australia
I was told that you get better economy - up to 25% - from 2400 x 1800 sheets - if you can handle them easily.
That's the only reason I am building that size.
Hope that helps
Rick
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 16:59
macrex

Victoria
Australia
Mechmate in Melbourne area

Does anyone have a Mecmate in the Melbourne area that I could see working?
Thanks
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 20:22
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Hi Richard, there are only 2 Mechmates operating in Australia, Jayson's in Horsham and mine in Adelaide. Although there are plenty in progress. Rick is making pretty good progress and will be done soon
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 21:33
macrex

Victoria
Australia
Mechmates in Vic

Thanks Matt,

Is that the same Rick who can do good deals on laser cut parts? Do you know where he is in Melbourne?
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 22:52
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
I ran some costings and from the parts bin your looking at about $6000 to build. All parts are available to the general person and I think as the forum gets craftier, the price will start to come down.

Be careful who you buy from. Most Ausi shops are more then happy to rip you off! Take for example a rack maker here in Melbourne that wanted almost $100/m for rack or a laser cutter that wanted $1000+ for cutting and bending, both can be had for less then half price. I'm now in negotiations with a local drive supplier, I told them I can get the exact same kit at my door step for a cheaper price (includes international freight) and instead of asking what price I needed to buy from them, they went into defense and started intermating they didn't believe me. I will name them soon but I hope for the right reasons.

Take it a step at a time and follow the tips people add. I have seen a good example of a builder not painting his first and it's going to get nasty when he has to pull it apart to paint.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 18:20
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Besser

I think you may find that pulling the machine apart to paint is pretty standard practice (if I recall correctly this is even the way Gerald does it) there is many examples of it all through the build logs. This method saves you having to patch up paint when you make mistakes or want to modify.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 20:59
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We paint, then assemble. Paint patching is with aerosol can.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 22:42
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I also painted first then put it all together. To align everything up twice is just too much work for me. For modifications...nothing that I can think off...drilled a couple of holes for the cable support and chains ...that's all.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 22:59
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Thanks guys for the heads up. OK, Paint, assemble, touch-up (I can see a good reason for close inspection of earthing needs)
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 23:00
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Well there you go, Memory play tricks, could have sworn I read it the other way round several places. Still I'm not sure I'm good enough to get it all right the first time so I'll go with construct assemble then paint just to be sure.
Old Mon 07 September 2009, 00:31
sprayhead
Just call me: Francis

sydney
Australia
From what I have seen a lot of people test assemble first, then unassamble, paint and final assembly.

What? 1 hour to unassamble everything? no worries.

F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaper View Post
Well there you go, Memory play tricks, could have sworn I read it the other way round several places. Still I'm not sure I'm good enough to get it all right the first time so I'll go with construct assemble then paint just to be sure.
Old Wed 02 December 2009, 23:43
macrex

Victoria
Australia
Cutting Steel

Have started cutting the steel, will start to weld it up next week maybe.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read