MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 31 July 2010, 22:42
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thanks Chris. I have looked on that site, but the spares is not ONLINE yet. Will drop them an e-mail sometime.

Anybody know how to get that chuck off ?
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 22:53
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usC8unA5RiA

I had to check as I had only ever taken off the type that work with a chuck.
Should just come off holding the drill no need to put it in the vice - done it lots of times when attachments like jigsaws were the go for the early power drills.

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 02:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thanks Ross,

That video show it like it should be done. Problem is that the screw is so tight that I was not able to get it out yet. He mention that they are sometimes put in with Locktite. Problem is how do I break the locktite seal without applying too much heat on the thing...there are some plastic housing at the back.
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 02:35
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
You might try an impact driver, they are a "butchers tool" but sometimes that is what it takes. Make you own decision on the level of damage you inflict on the screw head before stopping and trying some other option, as it certainly is not a guarantee.

You might also try hammering (a hard sharp tap) the screw head with a screw driver, sometimes it seats the screw driver tip into the screw head a bit more and gives the thing a bit of a shock that loosens it.

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 03:35
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Can you get a soldering iron on the screw to break the loctite?
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 06:30
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Good idea Gerald. Took my wifes 100 w soldering iron that she uses for her glass work, left it in there until the chuck was nice and hot. Took the impact driver again, but still no luck. I think this screw's head is now a bit broken. Maybe the last resort is to drill the head off the bolt, then try and remove the chuck and then see if I can get it out.
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 06:43
mikefoged
Just call me: Mike #27

Randers
Denmark
Send a message via MSN to mikefoged
you know that you have to turn it clockwise to get it out
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 07:28
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Yes thanks Mike I mentioned it in post 967 already. ......Screw is RH and chuck is LH
Old Mon 02 August 2010, 07:46
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
I've changed several chucks on Milwuaukee and Dewalt drills and the screw that holds the chuck on is left handed and the chuck is right handed. I've never broken the screw, but they usually have lock tite on the threads. But remember, free advice is worth what you pay for it.
Old Mon 02 August 2010, 13:12
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's to all that tried to help. I tried again today...Right hand, left hand, middle hand....but she will not want to play with me.....

I was on my way to go and buy some plug cutters
plug cutter.jpg that I needed to finish a job when I spoke to old Hennie. His words were ....is jy stupid....are you stupid. You have a machine that can cut plugs....all sizes in one.... I never thought about that.

So this afternoon I made myself 105 plugs x 12mm each and on a very slow speed it took me 24 minutes.....and it did not cost me a cent extra. Those plug cutters are very expensive. Now I can cut my plugs to suite my holes.

DSC01404.JPG

This machine is a workshop all in one.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 05:02
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...absolutely, never really thought about doing it that way. Great idea.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 08:55
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
When I made the bench for my friends wedding I borrowed some jigs from a friend. After that I sat down and did the drawings in V-Carve Pro. So this morning was D-day. Cut the pieces, pocket the sides where the slats go in and finished the chair this afternoon. This is held together with CAM-thingamajigs and bolts only. Planning to do it FLAT-PACK.

Mingehout chair 0.JPG

mingerhout chair 2.jpg
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 10:04
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Here are those #THINGAMAJIGS that I used... What a learning curve again.

screw and nut.jpg cam screw.jpg cam screw cam.jpg
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 10:27
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
Man you make me jealous. I have a good mind to make a smaller MM just so that I can do some things.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 12:09
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Marius, I sms'ed you yesterday. Was wondering if that contact of yours are still making and supplying cable chain. Let me know please as my old friend is finally getting things together by the looks of it.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 14:44
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
My number changed, I will send you a PM.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 14:56
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
Look at this post. His details are in there. I dont know if it is still current. I do have some chain designs that can be cut with your MM from 6mm plastic of sorts if you are wanting to go that route. I intend to cut the chain myself on the next build.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...0&postcount=48

Hope this helps.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 15:27
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Dis mos hoe dit moet gedoen word - bakgat, now maybe you must share the dxf's...

Those thingamajigs are called cam and pin connectors.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 22:41
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks Marius...I received your new number.

Hi Alan, I have to make small adjustments here and there. Things like the recess hole for that NUT I should add. At the moment I just peck drill a 6mm hole. Then afterwards, open it up manually to 10 or 12 mm depending on the nut size.

How much experience do you have with installing the Cam and Pin stuff. I will put up a picture later to explain my question about centre of cam hole. I did these with trail and error.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 23:35
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Alan or anybody that have worked with this stuff. What distance to do the CAM hole for a certain length. Thank's

Dowel screw 1.jpg
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 23:46
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Kobus,

These people can help: cabinet maker's paradise:

http://www.gelmar.co.za/images/Catal...tings/Cams.pdf
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 00:17
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus I will fax you the details I work with these send me your fax no then I will make copy`s and fax them.Phone Bob larson industries ( 011-795-1988 )speak to Ester.
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 04:45
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Hennie. Scan and e-mail rather...same thing.

Well, today was the last of MY day at home. Tomorrow I must fit 5 new doors for the BOSS....hinges, locks, handles bla bla bla.

So this morning I cut the chair that Fabrice designed.....40 minutes later and a little more that 1/2 sheet ply and it hold my big body from the floor.

THE THINKER.....what to do NEXT...

DSC01446.JPG

DSC01447.JPG
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 06:15
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
The drilling distances and depths can vary depending on the components being used:

Drill Hole diam = 12 or 15mm depending on choice of housing (usually 15mm)

Drilling Depth = depending on choice of housing used for board thickness for 16mm board drill 12.5mm deep, for 22mm board drill 16.5mm deep

Drilling distance B = choice between 24mm, 34mm or 16mm (from hole centre to panel front edge) most common size is 34mm.

Bolt Drill hole = 5, 7 or 8mm diam depending on choice of connecting bolt.

So to answer your question above I would say 34mm.
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 06:32
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks Alan, yes I started at 32, but find it not working 100%. Wil go and try some scrap ar 34mm.
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 06:36
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
And ...there is a faint sound of blue machine screaming softly in the distance.... while the thinker things what is next.
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 06:39
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Sometimes I sits and thinks...othertimes I just sits
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 09:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hey sharrap en gaan werk julle twee

Faint sound ? Sounds like a pig being killed.

Alan, I tried 34 mm, but the little catch only starts to show, when I backup the screw 1/2 turn, then the cam engages and can be turned to tighten it. So I will try 33mm tomorrow.
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 23:54
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Lekker om vir `n Baas te werk.
Old Thu 05 August 2010, 19:18
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Kobus,

Have you seen this web site? Some nice digital wood joints.

http://www.flexiblestream.org/Digita...Joints-001.php

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read