MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 24 May 2009, 05:29
andyclarkecncuk
Just call me: andy

bristol
United Kingdom
And we have movement in the UK as well! - Bristol, UK

Hi, Andy here from the uk, downloaded the plans last week and now im ready to start building. Is there anybody here in the uk building one?
Thanks Andy
Old Sun 24 May 2009, 06:34
mphel
Just call me: Mark

Upton upon Severn
United Kingdom
Hi Andy,
I think there are a few being built and at least one up and running. I've made a start, got all the steel, wheels (Rick- superior Bearings) Laser cut parts (M-Machine Metals- Darlington) most of the electricals, motors and rack/pinion on order.
I can give you a few pointers for uk specific items but the plans explain everything and the things that don't add-up on the first read will become much easier with the parts on a bench in front of you!
Good luck...
Mark.
Old Sun 24 May 2009, 07:00
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Hi Mark, How much did the laser cut parts cost? also where did you source the rack from?
Thanks Andy
Old Sun 24 May 2009, 07:52
mphel

Upton upon Severn
United Kingdom
I think the Laser cut parts were about £250 but i think they were the first set they had cut and were treated as something of a loss leader, so they may be more now. If you speak to David Armstrong at M-Machine, he'll sort you out, he was very helpfull with mine.
I have the rack and pinion on order from Marchant Dice,(Kevin Marchant) around £380 for a 8x4 machine.
Hope this helps.
Mark.
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 01:52
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info Mark, Ive ordered the laser cut parts which should be here soon. How have you decided to do the vee rails?. I am thinking of going for the alu with the vee rails bolted to it but not sure where to source the rails from? Also what size table are you building?
Thanks Andy
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 02:30
mphel

Upton upon Severn
United Kingdom
Andy, I'm building 8x4 table, have ground the rails with the attachment supplied in the laser cut set. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but found that it worked very well, I ground all rails in around 3 hours and I'm happy with the results!

Mark
Old Mon 01 June 2009, 12:31
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Smile Clearing workshop for delivery of steel

Hi, Andy here from uk,
I have a small joinery company and i have been intrested in a cnc router for along time but i have never really understood how they work which has always put me off.
A few weeks ago i came across this website and i am hooked .

The main reason i have decided to build a mechmate is so that i can learn and understand everything about how it works.
I have designed my table to take 10' x 5' as i have enough room to accomodate it although i rarely use this size of board (norm 8'x4').

Anyway i ordered the laser cut parts last week and they have just arrived I am very pleased with the quality of the parts and bends and i can not wait to get started. I have ordered the steel which hopefully will be with me by the weekend.

Im very excited but also quite nervous as my welding skills and electrical knowelege are not the best but i do like a challenge.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks Andy
Old Mon 01 June 2009, 13:15
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Have merged your two threads together - this could become the first documented UK build.
Old Mon 01 June 2009, 13:56
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Andy,
Maybe you will be the first UK serial number!
Old Mon 01 June 2009, 14:04
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Welcome Andy, enjoy the build.

Was in Bristol 2 years back visiting my sister in Horfield, nice town but just a bit grey for us sunny Saffers
Old Thu 11 June 2009, 06:56
2e0poz
Just call me: Paul

Swindon
United Kingdom
Hi Andy

Paul from sunny Swindon here just up the road. I have just joined today so still looking around. I'm in the middle of collection parts for my machine and hope to use a lot of the ideas found here. Not sure on the size yet but keep in touch.

Paul
Old Wed 24 June 2009, 09:47
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Just thought i would update on my progress, i have all the steel here ready, all the laser cut parts, gecko 203v x 4, pdmx 122, computer with mach3, enclosure, vee bearings, PK296AE-SG7.2 motors, LAPP cables, bolts etc.
All i need to do now is order the electrical parts and start putting it all together.
My wife is going away for 2 weeks to visit family on Saturday so i will have sometime to make some progress .
I have also decided to grind my own rails as i brought unequal angle in 60x30x6 so just need to skim top edge and then apply angles (hopefully).
Anyway i will take photos and start posting next week once i work out how to post them.

P.s Just wandering if anybody has ordered steel and forgot to add on the extra 420mm?
Old Wed 24 June 2009, 10:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
What luck to get 60x30x6 as standard! Don't to aim for the 28mm on the drawing.....just skim the top until you get a 1mm wide band in the center. (it will wider than 1mm, but off-center, carry on till you go 0.5mm over the center line)
Old Wed 24 June 2009, 11:56
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Gerald,
I could not beleive it either! Also got parrallel flange steel so no need for tapered washers.
I think i may have overdone the sizes of the sections for the cross bearers and main frame, but at least if i get broken into it should still be there looking at me in the morning!.
The delivery ticket states .76 ton.
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 03:23
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
some pics

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attac...1&d=1246180867
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0548.JPG (77.4 KB, 815 views)
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 03:34
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attac...9&d=1246181306
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 03:35
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attac...8&d=1246181306
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 03:36
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attac...7&d=1246181306
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 03:40
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry if the photos are a bit mixed up, not really sure how to attch them. The laser cut parts fit together so well but as you can see from the pic the two end plates are not a pair ie they are the same hand does this matter?
Thanks Andy
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 11:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyclarkecncuk View Post
the two end plates are not a pair ie they are the same hand does this matter?
No problem if they are the same hand.

I can't figure out how you are getting these picture posting problems. Can you tell me what your recipe is, so that I can try and figure out where the problem lies?

Nice progress by the way!
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 12:09
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Hi Gerald, Im using the "go advanced" them uploading them and then cutting and pasting the file?
Thanks Andy
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 13:30
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, you need the "Go Advanced" then "Upload", but no further cut/paste. After the upload, it is already attached to the post - look at the preview at that point. . . .
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 13:42
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Ah.. Ok thanks. Lets hope i can operate this machine better than i can post pics
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 18:39
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
That picture of the laser cut steel seems a little odd to me:

You have a total of seven gantry stiffeners, and I'd expect three plus the one with the cable chain mount.

You have one of the two pieces of the skate.

I'd expect three of the four motor mounts to have a slot, not just two. Also, the ovals are in strange positions.

Are you doing some interesting customizations?

Last edited by bradm; Sun 28 June 2009 at 18:39.. Reason: typo
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 18:51
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
It looks to me like you ordered the entire list of parts, both economic and full options. Hence both versions of the gantry stiffeners, both motor mount styles etc.???
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 18:52
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
And as Gerald said, excellent progress! looking good.
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 00:52
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Bradm, Yes the company i brought the laser parts from supply the full set then just dont use what you dont need. Maybe a bit wastefull. Also the other part of the skate was on the floor having the mounting holes welded as they did not fit any of my grinders.

It maybe a good idea to leave these holes and let the user drill there own to suit there grinder.

Thanks Andy
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 00:53
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Its amazing how small the frame looks in the pics. It is huge!
Andy
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 16:20
andyclarkecncuk

bristol
United Kingdom
Hi, I have not got a metal chop saw so this is how i have been cutting everything square. When it gets a bit worn i just true it back up on the crosscut. I also screwed a stop on the back for repetitive cuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0554.JPG (61.9 KB, 729 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read