MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 27 June 2010, 10:41
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
After reading this and spending some time trying to understand what I need, I see my best entry options as a newbie are a MIG welder 140 to 250 amps using flux core wire or a DC stick welder using 6013 rods.

What I haven't figured out about these options is whether the MIG option is gasless (or what gas is recommended) and what amps are needed for the stick welding.

I'd appreciate clarification

Thanks
Red
Old Sun 27 June 2010, 13:48
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Flux core requires no gas...
Old Mon 28 June 2010, 10:34
TheDave
Just call me: dave

Toledo (Ohio)
United States of America
For amperage settings look on the box of electrodes. That will tell you the recommended amperage for that particular electrode.

It will probably list a sizable range, like 75 - 185 amps. Where you set it really is a personal preference. If you are a beginner start out in the middle of the range and experiment a little.
Old Tue 29 June 2010, 03:09
Red_boards

Melbourne
Australia
Thank you. Now I have an idea what I'm shopping for.
You have no idea how much these answers help me
- even if the questions seem too simplistic to you experienced people.
Old Wed 30 June 2010, 06:15
Rascal
Just call me: Rascal

Big Lake mn
United States of America
The minimum recommended amperage for a mig welder for 3/16 material (7inch channel to 3 inch channel) is 160-170 amps using .035 wire. It would be better to have a 200 amp machine if you can afford it as this weld is more like welding 1/4 inch steel but I am confident it could be done satisfactorily in this application with 170 amps. You can use CO2 (cheaper) or 75/25 CO2 argon mix (more expensive but less spatter)for the gas. Flux core wire can be used but not so nice to work with. Polarity for the using wire that uses gas is DCEP and gasless flux core is usually DCEN. When purchasing a welder consideation of the duty cycle is of prime importance with more the better and 60% at full rated output for this type of machine would be excellent. Stick welding sucks (as does fluxcore) but if you use it 1/8 6013 electrode is run between 80-130 amps (7 inch channel to 3 inch channel) with 80 amps used for thinner material and 130 amps for heavier material. I would use 3/32 rod for the legs which is run between 40-90 amps. Good luck.
Old Thu 01 July 2010, 21:36
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
Quote:
Polarity for the using wire that uses gas is DCEP and gasless flux core is usually DCEN.
DCEP means work is negative and wire is positive, Dcen means the opposite. you will need to check the welder to see which way it is set up, if it is reversed it will weld poorly ...
//chopper
Old Mon 22 November 2010, 00:48
Red_boards

Melbourne
Australia
Most of the people on this site have some idea what they are doing. As a complete novice in welding stuff I eventually took a low cost option, rather than have someone weld for me. I bought a 130W stick that can weld 3mm sticks, but only has a 10% duty cycle (so it can't do more than 1 full stick at full power). I'm sure many experienced hands scoff at this, but it got me going in welding and was enough to "stick" the bits of the table together. I just had to plan to cut/weld/cut/weld so that the machine got a breather between jobs. I know the welding is something that worries many coming into the MechMate world. I reiterate what Gerald has said. I've enjoyed picking up a new skill. Now many problems around the house look like welding solutions!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read