MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 23 March 2009, 11:09
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
MDF in a bathroom - is it not the wrong place for MDF to be with all the moisture - or is the stain enough to protect it?

Last edited by javeria; Mon 23 March 2009 at 11:24.. Reason: typo
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 11:54
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Irfan, if you seal it with a good sealer there is nothing wrong in using mdf.
will post some pics on floating vanity`s made out of mdf.Have used some valchromat outside on one of our shop fronts and it is still good previously the mdf that we replaced lasted 5 years.
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 11:56
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus dit is lekker by die see.(it is nice at the coast ).To think we still have sunny weather.
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 11:58
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Yes Heath, I would say 99% of houses in South Africa are build this way. The structure is mostly brick wall.. Outside walls are 2 bricks wide, but no insulation or gap in between. Roofs vary from Cement Tiles to corrugated sheet metal. It is rare to see double glazing on any window.

Iran, I hope that the stain with a couple of layers of varnish will keep the moisture out. That is his problem.
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 12:12
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Come on Hennie,,,,,,where are the pictures....you know we like pictures....lots and lots of them.
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 12:45
javeria

Bangalore
India
being a new carpenter on the block - can we start a new thread on finishes - i was trying to make all this new knock down designs using ply - using painted finish - but it never comes out clean - how to get a rapid fast and good finish is the question -

sorry Hennie - feel like taking over your thread

its been a concern for me - for over long.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 13:24
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Outside walls are 2 bricks wide, but no insulation or gap in between.
Small correction, most outside walls of brick construction should have a gap between the two leaves (cavity wall) to reduce the chance of moisture passing through. Many many houses are however bult with cement block and are notoriously damp (low cost mass housing). Having done quite a bit of reading on the subject it would appear that the closest construction type in the States to our system would be found in states like Florida - slab on grade single story brick with stucco, but we dont have the refinements of engineered windows and doors and tight building envelopes as you folk have. The windows and doors as seen in Europe (and the States) are works of art and ours look like crude sticks thrown into an opening in the wall.
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 23:05
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The "cavity wall" is a standard requirement in the Cape. Vaalies don't know "weep holes" either. However, our cavity walls are for moisture concerns more than heat control.

Heath, standard houses here are not insulated. Some people add insulation to their ceilings, nobody bothers with walls. Our standard window and door frame fits are quite drafty - this is the first area I would try to improve if I wanted to insulate my house.
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 23:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I agree 100% that you need the cavity, but I promise you that if you break down most double brick walls in South Africa there is hardly any cavity there...the builders slap the bricks close together when building.
Old Tue 24 March 2009, 01:36
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Get a decent builder. The cavities are at least 50mm wide, have "wrinkled" tie wires across (moisture don't run across the wrinkles) and the excess mortar is cleaned out through the weepholes as the building progresses. Snag is, if you change your mind and add a window later, the cavity fills with rubble.

Concrim has become popular for waterproofing cement:
http://www.technicalfinishes.com/Dat...%20Concrim.pdf
Old Wed 25 March 2009, 12:06
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Geduld Kobus!

Cavity is also used for condensation on the inside of the roof moist needs to go somewhere and it runs into the cavity.At the bottom of the wall there should be holes on the outside for the moist to evaporate.

Irfan try sanding the ply smooth and then do the magic with a lot of prime coats until you get a smooth surface for final coat.
Old Thu 26 March 2009, 00:31
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
The standard for building with face brick (hard baked brick) external and plaster brick internally is to use wall ties every 3rd course. The inside face, between the double row must be brush plaster (bagging) and then painted with Bitumen to seal it off for moisture. They build like this close to the sea sometimes, using the system for plaster walls as well. There is no cavity spaces. Cavity walls are sometimes used in public buildings. The home owners changes his mind quickly when he compare the price between the cavity and the Bitu seal walls.
Old Wed 01 April 2009, 14:28
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Kobus

Your neighbors must not like bikers, they all have high fences, doesn't look like you have any.

Just kidding, April 1st you know.
Old Wed 01 April 2009, 22:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Dave, you must be glad I don't call myself 'ME' and flip my lid when somebody crack a GOOD joke. High fences are the IN-Thing in South Africa. We live in a home-made jail and criminals roam the streets they say. I have a 2.2 meter high brick wall in the front just to keep the MIDNIGHT SHOPPERS out. I suppose it is like that in most cities around the world.
Old Thu 02 April 2009, 03:47
wobblybootie
Just call me: Tim

Poole
United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to wobblybootie Send a message via Yahoo to wobblybootie
Buildings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
The standard for building with face brick (hard baked brick) external and plaster brick internally is to use wall ties every 3rd course. The inside face, between the double row must be brush plaster (bagging) and then painted with Bitumen to seal it off for moisture. They build like this close to the sea sometimes, using the system for plaster walls as well. There is no cavity spaces. Cavity walls are sometimes used in public buildings. The home owners changes his mind quickly when he compare the price between the cavity and the Bitu seal walls.
My little abode here in the UK could be classed as typical ... Brick and block cavity wall = Fired Clay Bricks for the face and 18" X 4" 'breeze Blocks with a 4" cavity tied every 3 brick courses (the cavity is checked at regular intervals during the build ......hmmmm) Internal walls single block, plastered (or now dry lined) Pitched Roof = Tiled with felt under.
Because I am in receipt of a Ministry of Defence War pension the Government has given me a grant to insulate the house. The cavity walls have been filled with a blown fill of damp proof insulation, from footings to eves. 8" of fibreglass wool between the first floor ceiling joists in the roofspace and full UPVC double glazing, + all Facias, Soffets, Guttering and Downpipes in UPVC. Also full gas central heating and Instantainious hot water.

I just have to make sure we have windows open all year round ... as when everything is closed down the place is almost airtight.
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 12:38
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Sorry there is nothing new happening here on old BBB, but the BOSS has spoken and I will LISTEN...

Remember the roof that I did in post #235....well I HAD to finish off the front part.....eventually....

Used NUTEC board and completed the painting this afternoon. Tomorrow afternoon I plan to do some cutting on old Big Blue.

DSC00446.JPG
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 23:24
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I haven't use Nutec board before. Is it a cement composite or wood impregnated type of weather board Kobus? it looks neat.
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 23:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
http://www.everite.co.za/
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 23:43
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Yes Johan It is cement based fibre board. Or Ceiling board. Works well with the joint strips.
Old Wed 08 April 2009, 12:32
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thumbs up

Ok as promised, making dust is fun. Pierre my little pension eater...yes he will finish school when I want to retire...always like to HELP in the workshop. All the little pieces of scrap are either nailed together or sanded smooth. He picked up the pieces and glued and nailed this CAR together....use something like 2 inch nails for the wheels.
DSC00450.JPG

This made me decide to make him something special. I saw a picture of an old truck...got CorelDraw fired up and did this for him....we had fun putting it together..
DSC00448.JPG

Here he is on old BBB helping.

DSC00451.JPG

And after the BOSS applied some paint..
DSC00456.JPG

The next truck will be a 4 x 4 and I made a prototype of the tyre that I will use.

DSC00453.JPG

Must say we had some fun.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Wed 08 April 2009 at 12:38..
Old Wed 08 April 2009, 12:47
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
By the way I will be on the farm for the Easter weekend leaving tomorrow morning for Vryburg....no TV, no Mobile reception, no internet ...BLISS....no MechMate...
Old Wed 08 April 2009, 22:43
Tom van Brits
Just call me: Tom

Brits
South Africa
Well-done Kobus and Pierre

Looks good, keep going! I need a little more motivation and it's probably a matter of time before I start constructing my own CNC! Just have to see the time through on Gough Island, imagine what one could do here on the Island in all the free time with your 'Old BBB'! Enjoy Easter on the farm, keep safe and I see your priorities are right by ‘listening to the boss’!

Tom van Brits
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 12:56
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Well we are saftely back from a wonderful weekend on the farm. My brother-in-law also loves wood and I managed to get some wonderful pieces of wood for my other hobby...knife making. I don't have a fancy knife grinder or bandsaw, so everything is done with a baby grinder and bench grinder.

The wood we got was some NIES HOUT (Sneeze Wood ) that used to be fence poles used on the farm around 1898.....yes very very old. That is the yellow piece. Some YSTER HOUT (Iron Wood ) that he bought about 20 years ago....that is the lighter piece and then some KAMEEL DOORING (Camel Thorn ) that we used to do the BRAAI (BBQ )..that is the little dark square piece.

3Houte.JPG

I had a piece of old SAW BLADE that I am using to make the latest knife. Did a cutout on 6mm MDF on old BBB. Then started cutting with the baby grinder. Still a long way to go before it is finished. This knife will get the NIES HOUT for the handles.

SaaglemMes.JPG

Just some examples of the knifes I made during the year I spend on Marion Island in the Southern Ocean a while back.

MyMesse Klein.JPG

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Mon 13 April 2009 at 12:59..
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 13:02
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Kobus did you just epoxy the wood handle to the blade?
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 13:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Yes I rough up the wood and the steel a little then use some South African designed 2 part epoxy glue. It has not let up on me yet.

I only wish old BBB could cut out the steel blank for me....If only...
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 20:13
javeria

Bangalore
India
Hi Kobus - that seems to be a lot of effort for the baby grinder - why not just laser cut it!

RGDS
IRfan
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 23:15
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
They look nice Kobus. It is a hobby that I am interested in to. I have most of my equipment ready. Build my own belt sander as well. I visit the knife show in Durban on Saturday. Incrediable!
I had to put the hobby on hold until my MM is finish.
Old Tue 14 April 2009, 11:07
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus now you just need to make a box for band aid plasters with the MM and a display cabinet for all those ( parra slagters )
Old Tue 14 April 2009, 12:07
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Irfan what is the point in making it too easy. Then it becomes a work and not a hobby.

Johan I might just pop in on Thursday or Friday. I am busy with site surveys. Just finished the Natal Midlands today. Tomorrow will do the Durban area then move up to Empangeni
Old Tue 14 April 2009, 22:55
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Kobus,
Looking forward to see you!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read