MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sun 15 February 2009, 10:59
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Thank you Gerald and GregM, I am proud, strange how something small like pasting a name can make a man so happy.
What would be the range of Velocity and acceleration values be for the Z axis, mine i have set to Velocity 300 and acceleration 100 for the direct drive motors, does that sound right
Regards
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 14:30
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Koning,

Welcome to the Members Serial Number Club. Congratulations on #20.
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 17:26
bradyaero
Just call me: Greg #19

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
congrats #20 from #19
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 20:37
myozman
Just call me: Mike #16

Demotte,IN
United States of America
Congratulations!!!
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 20:48
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Koning,

Congratulations on Serial #20, one fine machine.

The updated Builder's Log is here.

What are the cutting dimensions of your MechMate? I would like to add this information to the Builder's Log.

Regards,
John
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 22:04
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Well done Koning...you just pipped Hennie too the post....looks like it was a busy weekend for building and finishing Mech Mates this weekend. Looks like you are putting a band aid on a patient there....Well done
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 22:27
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Baie geluk Koning!
Old Mon 16 February 2009, 06:55
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Thank you everyone

Kobus I had a bussy few months behind me, first my 21 days vacation in SA was cut short to nine, been in Pakistan end December-January,Philipines beginning Feb, (18th honeymoon) and next week Turkmenistan. The good looking man on Kobus's left is my father, I could not wait to show him what the MechMate is all about
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 089.jpg (63.5 KB, 1506 views)
Old Mon 16 February 2009, 19:51
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Well Done Koning! That is a great looking machine!
Old Mon 16 February 2009, 22:14
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
At last, I thought you lost that photo...ha ha
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 06:42
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Koning,

Thanks for the E-Mail with information about your MechMate. The updated Builder's Log is here.

Please let us know how that spindle works for you. Pictures always appreciated.

Regards,
John
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 09:51
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Thank you John
You will know the day i get the spindel controlled with mach, at this moment i control it manually, I cannot get to calibrate the spindel with the PMDX 106, all the LED`s light up that should but no spindel turning, I have send a copy of the andeli VFD to Steve Stallings, and is awaiting his comments, I will soon post the wire diagram and ask help from the brotherhood.
It Happend today...... gantry lifting off the rails.....
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 10:05
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
A gantry lift off is good . . . . . . less damage than if it could not lift off!
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 11:55
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Hallo to all the friends
I have not posted for some time, but here is some pictures of what I have been doing, I have divided my dust collection hose so that I have a nice moveable hose to suck all the dust on the table, the vacuum is controlled by two slide gate valves that I made from MDF and Plexiglas, the collection bags have also been moved away from the MM to reduce the noise level and to keep the dust level low that will soon be a closed room.

I have place thin conveyor belt rubber between the spoil board and the X axis channel, cleaning up is now effortless and dust collection suction has a better effect when cutting is done on the edge of the spoil board.

Because 99% of the work on the MM is done at night ( because the boss think I need to spend more time at work) have I placed a florescent tube light below X axis that make it much easier to see what is going on at the table
I have started to close the famous patio with dry walling and will install a air conditioner to keep the humidity levels low during the hot summer months
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm enhancements 021.jpg (44.5 KB, 1004 views)
File Type: jpg mm enhancements 022.jpg (33.5 KB, 1003 views)
File Type: jpg mm enhancements 023.jpg (42.2 KB, 1003 views)
File Type: jpg mm enhancements 024.jpg (54.8 KB, 1004 views)
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 23:14
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Nice to see these pictures of your machine. Well done Koning. Closing up will also keep the neighbours happy.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 23:25
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Some nice ideas there Koning! It is really looking good.
Old Wed 06 May 2009, 23:33
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Hi Chaps
The rubber does helps allot to keep the work place sort of clean, it is the type that is used on luggage X ray machines, thin so its easy to lift it for clamping. Soon I am going to move the spider plate backwards to allow the vacuum hose to be right next to the spindel,
I never see or hear my neighbours, all property is surrounded by high walls and they spend no time outside, bonus for me.
Old Wed 06 May 2009, 23:38
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
The light

Not to bright just right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm enhancements 025.jpg (8.8 KB, 962 views)
Old Wed 06 May 2009, 23:45
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Be careful about moving the spindle far away from the Y-motor. You could get to a point where the y-car rotates when the cutter takes load. A cure for such an issue is to put a second y-motor on the back of the y-car. Also, the table top then needs to be moved if you still want to cut full sheets.

A nice thin rubber with fiber reinforcing is used for gasketing. We call it "insertion rubber" out here, but google says it is not a common description around the world.
Old Thu 07 May 2009, 06:51
Appimate
Just call me: Ed

NSW
Australia
Insertion Rubber

Hello Gerald

That's the term for that type of rubber here in Australia to.

Ed
Old Wed 10 August 2011, 03:46
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Hallo friends
I am bussy to do the 3:1 gear conversion, I have send the files for laser cutting and all that jazz, then am I starting to plan the rotary addition to my Mechmate but I have the first question, If I have the 3:1 reduction ratio on the Y and Z axis can I have direct drive on the X for the indexer, the spur gear that I am planning to use for the indexer is Boston YA140 cast Iron DP20 PA20 or do I need to have a reduction system for the indexer drive?

Regards
Old Wed 10 August 2011, 05:12
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Koning,

From the name of your spur gear Boston YA140 I would think it is a 140 tooth gear.
I would run this directly on the 24 / 28 tooth pineon that you should have on the stepper...no further reduction.
Mine works VERY well with a 120 tooth connected to my 20 tooth pineon.
Good luck en LEKKER SPEEL een van die dae op die indexer.
Old Thu 11 August 2011, 01:54
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
More Kobus
Thank you for the reply, yes 140 tooth gear, I will start this weekend to gather the needed material, I will buy a complete lathe for this 300us$, the gear is in the mail, hope to be finish by end of August,
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 03:53
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
I have fitted the lathe yesterday, it is a Pioneer Veriable Speed Swivel head lathe,got it for 300usd. The idea is to use it as normal lathe and when i will use it as a cnc lathe just remove the belt.
Some shopping arrived but still waiting for the large spur gear to be used on the lathe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lathe 1.JPG (36.5 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg lathe2.JPG (55.1 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg lathe 3.JPG (37.7 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg Reduction.JPG (40.3 KB, 473 views)
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 05:38
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Very nice lathe! I am sometimes sorry that I left out the room for indexer.
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 06:18
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Nice nice nice... can you move the HEADSTOCK and lock it in a different position just like the tailstock ?
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 06:26
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I think it can ... look at the second and third picture, in second its near mounting bolts and in third one its more to the middle. But its maybe an optical delusion.

Seems like a nice feature, if I ever look for a wood lathe, what would be an advantage of moving headstock?
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 08:11
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Not much, the swivel action is of more importance when turning bigger bowls etc.
All I can think is that one could move the complete workpiece to the centre of you MM and not feel like working in a corner....
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 12:00
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I have a lathe with an adjustable head. It rotates and can be moved across the bead like the tail stock. This way you can put the head all the way at the end and rotate it for bowl work.
Old Sun 20 November 2011, 02:10
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
This past two days must have been my most productive days in a long time, I have mounted the 3:1 reduction drives based on Dmitriy`s drawings, the cut quality 101 % improvement. Thank you Dmitriy for posting the CAD files, this was easy to use.
I used the Z motor plate from the direct drive to mount the stepper for the Rotary axis, 24 tooth pinion on the stepper to a 140 tooth gear. I only managed to calibrate the rotary axis, but did not cut anything yet… thank you Kobus for the advise on calibration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A drive.JPG (75.5 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg X drive.JPG (143.6 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Z drive.JPG (92.1 KB, 286 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts