MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 18 July 2009, 05:48
martin77pl
Just call me: Martin #39

Wroclaw
Poland
Good day to everyone, and I am happy to be back again. I will post some photos later on to give you an update on the progress me and my friend have made since last time.
At the moment we are choosing appropriate gas spring. I found one that it rated at 500N. It doesn not feel right when I press it. As a rule of thumb 500N is around 50kg this is the force I have to use to make it work. Taking into account the weight of them parts involved directly is this gas spring to stiff? The stroke is right for the 350 tube but I am worried about the motor if it is gonna handle the force.
Old Sat 18 July 2009, 05:56
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Unfortunately the 500N is far too much!
Old Sat 18 July 2009, 12:37
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
I received screened cables and will do the drilling on pinions cause the hole diamiter does not match the size of motors shaft. Will post some more photos soon. I have two weeks holiday and I hope the machine will be moving in two weeks time. I cant find right sized gas spring. Decided to order chinese water cooled spindle as well. It will take some time before we receive it but we will be busy anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (109.2 KB, 1201 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (133.5 KB, 1214 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (124.8 KB, 1204 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (130.3 KB, 1201 views)
Old Sat 18 July 2009, 18:46
bradyaero
Just call me: Greg #19

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Looking very good Martin! You'll be up and running very soon. Happy Zubr to you
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 06:13
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
Thank you Greg, I am still waiting for thins to arrive. The spindle has arrived in
Poland. This is quite fast actualy, I only paid for it last week. I also ordered some other stuff from local sources but they gonna take longer to arrive than that spindle from China. I found 150N gas spring and it is used in agriculture equipment like tractors, it is far more weaker than the one I had previously with 500N. At the moment we are working out how to cool down the spindle. We decided to use 110V pump that we found in a machine used for developing pictures from a film. Old school equipment. Will post some more pictures soon. I ordered some more push buttons as well. So the wiring shall start as soon as we receive them. As far as the proxies are concerned can all four be connected in series to a pmdx board? Or do they all have to be wired independetly? This is the one I would like to use IME12-04NPSZW2K it is M12 4mm range NO PNP
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 11:45
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
This is the pump and radiator is from ford sierra. Got it from scrapyard. All together with the fan connected shall be sufficient enough to cool down the spindle. What do you guys think about that solution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (119.8 KB, 1102 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (107.3 KB, 1091 views)
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 13:30
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi Martin,
You need some more stuff. The radiator you have will act as a condenser and must be linked to the high pressure side of the compressor. The outlet of the radiator must be connected to a flow restriction device, normally a capillary (small diameter) tube. This can then go into a water container with a 1/4 inch copper coil to remove the heat from the water, which then circulates to spindle. Solder everything up with coppertec.

I would not circulate the refrigerant to the spindle.

Pressure test your system with nitrogen to detect any leaks, evacuate down to 500 um to remove any moisture and charge with R134A, any other refrigerant will damage the compressor.

Better to have a cousin in the refrigeration business.

Jan
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 13:42
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
Thank you Jan for your input. I was thinking that the radiator would absorb the heat from the water while flowing through it. The fan that is shown in the picture is to ventilate the radiator so that the heat is reduced. Hmmm, how hot can the spindle get anyways? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OZCviK0msg I saw this video and liked the idea. I am getting same spindle.
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 21:40
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
well chk this cooling I have done to a similar spindle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04a_FtbR44

no problems even when working for the whole day - only see that your pump is rated for continuous operation, (it should be brushless)

the radiator is essentially un-necessary. and I would not like to have extended wiring on the y car for the pump etc, better to have it located in a static position. The tubes are really cheap -

RGDS
IRfan
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 23:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Jan, you are are thinking of a gas refrigerant system, which completely misses the basics of a standard water-cooled spindle.
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 00:20
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Ja, got it! Somewhere between 2 and 5 this morning.
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 03:35
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
Thank you Ifran for your link, It is great. I plan to do something similar. Although I would like to have my cooling system located on the gantry.
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 07:37
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
Can anyone please tell me why it does not work when I try to use this extention? When I use regular cable it is ok. But when I the one in the photo it is different. I wanted to make some drilling to locate the xtention on the side of the control box and then plug the cable to it from computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (56.5 KB, 1043 views)
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 08:32
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Response is posted here

Last edited by servant74; Tue 28 July 2009 at 08:34.. Reason: forgot a thought
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 09:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Jack, I copied his post to the other thread, where I thought there would be more readers - but I forgot to add my normal note.
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 12:41
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
I have received my spindle and VFD today. The spindle itself weighs 5.5 kg. I also received phoenix din rail block connectors and interface relays as well. So the wiring of the machine should start soon. I am still waiting for 3 more proxies and of course a gas spring. It all takes so much time for me to grasp the knowledge as far as the electronic is concerned. Now my main concern is to find right way to connect the VFD and the spindleWil keep you posted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (138.8 KB, 989 views)
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 13:07
andyclarkecncuk
Just call me: andy

bristol
United Kingdom
Hi Martin, There are threads on here and elsewhere which explain how to wire it up. I am hopefully going to wire mine up tomorrow (if cable arrives) so once ive done it if i can help i will.
Hopefully be cutting at the weekend
Andy
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 13:16
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
Thank you for your input Andy. I received email from the seller and he recomends programming the VFD before running the spindle.

I just tell you how to set up vfd as following
Firstly, adjust the PD013 to 8
Secondly, adjust the PD005 to 400
Thirdly, adjust the PD004 to 400
Finally, adjust the PD003 to 400
Note: you should set PD013, PD005 ,PD004,PD003 in order. It mean you should fistly set PD013, then PD005, then PD004, finally set PD003.
Note: after you set the all above, then please recheck the PD005, PD004, PD003 value is 400 or not to confimed that you already set it.
The reason we let you recheck is that if you do not set it at 400, then when you run the spindle motor, the spindle motor will be over-current, then the spindle will very hot and then within 5 minite, it will broken.
Regards Aoran
4. Note, please use the clean water to cool the spindle, and also do not let the dust to dirt the water. If the water not clean, it will lead the spindle to jam.

This is what I received from him. This may help you program yours.
Old Tue 01 September 2009, 14:05
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
Testing or actually tunning the machine we are now. At the moment all the wires are run through. I am trying to set Mach3 for optimal configuration. I get wierd sound whenever the speed reaches 360. The motors lock up and then move again when the speed drops. I am using geared motors unipolar connection using four wires out of 8. My power supply deliveres 33 VDC to the drives. I think it might not be enough for faster speeds. I got the steps set for 127.388 with 36 tooth pinion. I am gonna try and adjust the tripot next time and see what happens or replace the tansformer to raise the voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (114.9 KB, 903 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (133.2 KB, 890 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (108.1 KB, 894 views)
Old Tue 01 September 2009, 21:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Martin, have tried using a different computer? I don't think you have a voltage problem.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 05:47
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I have replicated that speed ceiling problem with an underpowered pc as well Gerald.
Have you tried running the speed test in Mach 3 to see if your PC is compliant?
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 08:30
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
Well, this is the second computer I have tried so far. The first one was older and weaker but seemed more stable as far as the test is concerned. The one I am using now is more powerful. There is 2G ram and the processor speed is 3GHz. Nonetheless, both computers seem to fail if what you say is true that my power suply should be ok. I am gonna try third computer tomorrow.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 09:14
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Can you give us your .xml setup file from Mach? I would like to check if you set the machine to run mm or inches, then to check the Motor Tuning for motor speed and acceleration.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 11:55
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
Hey Gerald, I just returned from a trip to a shop. I couldnt wait till tomorrow. Tried different computer. The one I tried now was outstanding. It is what you say about the computer it cant be to slow or to fast. What a relief. The sound of the mtors moving so smooth. Before it was like shaving with blunt razor and now with that third mid range computer it is like heaven. Such a difference. Thanks a lot for advice. Will post a video on Youtube soon. I have settings in mach in mm and M1 module 36 teeth and 127.324 steps and 45000Hz kernel speed. Now I need to get a different PC.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 12:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
....shaving with a blunt razor? I have forgotten about shaving over 30 years ago!
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 22:24
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Gerald does not have TIME to shave...too busy helping and keeping this forum in top notch.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 23:21
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Gerald,

I continue to be amazed that you can diagnose all of these problems based on sketchy details from all the way around the globe. I chuckle every time. I just can't figure out how you know so much about everything.
Old Sun 13 September 2009, 04:29
martin77pl

Wroclaw
Poland
I am pround to announce that we had first movement. There is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0bZV80Xmj4. I also tested proxies and they are working as well.
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 10:23
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
ha ha ha - is that you hiding behind the machine

congrats on the movement
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 10:39
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Well Done Martin! Dust is just around the corner.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read