MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 08 January 2008, 22:58
Roadkill_321
Just call me: John #7

Wiseton, Saskatchewan
Canada
Greg,

I do believe the power supply place is a real company. I had some misgivings at first, but I got it in the mail day before yesterday. It took two weeks to get it up here in Canada in the middle of nowhere from New Jersey but it did in fact come. I had to phone John at Antek to get a tracking number just for some peace of mind, but they did in fact ship it the day after I ordered it. So all the best to ya.

John
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 09:41
GregA
Just call me: Greg

Dundee MI
United States of America
Where in the heck do I buy the current set resistors? Does Radio Shack still sell that stort of stuff?

Also... I am at $400 + $100 shipping from factorymation. I see they give free shipping to orders over $500. I have ready Geralds rants about hacks (like me for instance) and would like to correct my ways (only because I like a full set of fingers and a functioning heart). I am currently focused on the Control box, but are there any other safety devices I could order (from factorymation) that I will need later on (man I hate ordering parts I am not going to use yet, but a $100 is a $100).

The top part of my control box will be lain out exactly like geralds example. My din rail will be a little different. I have terminals for power, motor fuses, and a relay for the router. I have a big red stop button that will cut the power to the estop as well as the router. I even have a second control box and associated circutry to replace the mdf board of my existing candle machine controller, and make that nice and professionalish looking.

Last edited by GregA; Wed 09 January 2008 at 10:00..
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 09:52
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
GregA,

I actually had to buy mine online at factorymation. The Radioshack in the closest town to where I live (30 miles / 48 KM away) didn't have the size I needed.

If you think this part of the project is fun, wait till you get the stepper motors to operate the first time.

I wonder if Gerald has MechMate pocket protecters for sale
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 10:41
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Yep, we need MM pocket protectors! I like it. Next is our hats and T-Shirts.

I am not joking. I think it is a great idea.
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 10:47
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
Greg_J

10 year on, and an am still blown away by what an amazing resource the internet is. And this is a blast! 98% of my questions have been answered by just reading around.

Also, looking at the books, because of sales, the metal supply being willing to cut my materials to length, not cutting any corners, It looks like I am on track for a < $4k build. Right now I am at $2k spent, and I have every part I need for the control box. I am so far under budget, (and the fabrication shops are willing to talk to me) I may just hand them the specifications for the table and have them deliver it...

But I am getting ahead of myself Right now, just focus on the task at hand
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 10:56
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Hats and Tshirts are a great idea. Great to wear while working on your MM. Dont forget the MM coffee mugs.
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 10:57
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I have time on my hands. I will get the approval of the Master Builder and we can go from there.
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 11:11
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Greg A,

Yes, you can get resistors from Radio Shack. That's where I got mine along with about 500 more of assorted resistance that I'll probably never use.

I vote for pocket protectors!! My oldest daughter will definitely disown me if I try to wear it outside of the house though. She was seriously upset when she thought I was going to permanently mount those little magnifying lens that attach to your eyeglasses and she already complains that I'm "fashion challenged."
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 11:49
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
T-shirts, caps, mugs are on hold till more MM's are cutting. It has been nearly a year since new machines have come on line - people must be laughing at us for discussing clothing ranges at this stage!

Right guys, enough of this procrastination and get back to work! (where's the slavedriver icon?)
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 12:27
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hey guys, pulling your legs a bit, of course you can make up logo'ed merchandise and have fun.

Would be happier to see some MM's finished though!
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 12:46
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
If someone wants to make me a MechMateTM coffee cup pattern/relief carving, I can get them mass produced, with glazing and everything. We would have to be able to sell a couple 10's of thousands of them though, before a return
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 13:17
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
On a leap of faith and a drawing verifying that all the bits will fit together, it appears my order has been shipped from Factorymation.

Anyone within two hour drive of me, I will have extra parts, please talk to me before you place factorymation orders for blank fuseblocks and terminal bus parts.

Now to track down some of that dope looking wire bling that gerald uses.
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 22:07
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Just a note to everyone; these "personal" threads are "owned" by the thread-starter. I have fun with editing the titles from time to time, but that's mostly because the first title becomes obsolete. Because you own your thread, you can ask for any title, post edit or post deletion you want. In the other "technical" threads, I often go back and delete old things said on the spur of the moment a long time ago. You might be trying to build a serious personal thread, and I will assist where I can.
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 06:59
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
This is the (near) completion of my most recent project and I want to test out picture posting(plus cell phone cameras are forgiving on finish details).

A bunch of years ago, I built a Lumenlab video projector. As much satisfaction as that gave me it really only laster a year and a half. It was the first machine I built by myself. Recently It received an upgrade.

Old Thu 10 January 2008, 07:07
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
Hi Greg

Could you post a list of parts and part no. for the terminal bus parts, fuse blocks, DIN rails, push buttons, relays (contactors),etc from FactoryMation. You seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to electronics. Obviously, I have no clue.

I would be interested in the extra parts you have, if I had any clue that they would be useful to me.

I'm going to The Rock Financial Center in Novi, probably, today but tomorrow (Thursday-Jan 11)for sure to the Ultimate Fishing Show. How far are you from there?

Thanks
Paul
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 07:52
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
"You seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to electronics."

Quite possibly the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week

I don't have an exact surplus parts list yet. I am rebuilding the control box for my tea light machine. However, here is a copy of my order from factorymation, as well as a description of the parts. Gerald asked us not to post prices...

DIN35S-5135 mm DIN-rail, steel, 1 meter long, 5pcs. - This is the din rail, I will have extra

DIN-ST1DIN Rail Support Bracket, Galvanized Steel, Angled 50mm, package of 10 - These are used to hold the din rail off of the subpanel, extra

SCE-20168ELJ2Saginaw, 20"H x 16"W x 8"D, NEMA 4 Enclosure, Enviroline Junction Box - The big box, will not have extra

SCE-20P16J2Saginaw Enclosure, Subpanel, Steel - White Finish, 19.25"H x 15.25"W, use with Enviroline Junction (ELJ) Enclosure - The subpanel, will not have extra

ES11IMO DIN-Rail Terminal Block, End Bracket, 20pcs, Beige - these hold the terminal blocks together and keep it all nice and tight, I will have extra

EP2.5-101End Plate for all ER2.5 to ER10 Terminal Blocks, Beige, 25 pcs - the terminal and fuse blocks are open on one side this closes it up and keeps it all finger safeish, extra.

ER2.5BEIGE1IMO DIN-Rail Terminal Block, Feed-thru, 20A, 600V, 26 - 12AWG, Beige, 100pcs - you jumper these together to make a buss, way easier to understand than wirenuts all over the place, I will have extra

ERF31IMO DIN-Rail Terminal Block, Removable Fuse-Holder, 5x20mm, 26 - 10AWG, 20pcs, Beige - these are just like the terminal blocks, but they hold fuses, hopefully these will prevent me from burning up electrical components. I plan to add a ground fault fuse, and save my life when vibration knocks a wire free and it shorts on the control box.

BC12WEG 22mm Non-metallic, Mushroom Operator (40mm), IP66, Red - an easier, less safe version of geralds contactor/initiator system. Big red button, connected to two switches, when it is down, the power is off, when it is up the power is on, but that is a function of... (and no extra...)

BC014WEG 22mm Non-metallic, Single Contact Block, 1 N.C. - the switches that go in the big red button, no extra.

861SSR210-DC-11Magnecraft 861 Solid State Relay, DIN Rail or Panel Mount with internal heatsink, 10A SPST, Zero Cross NO, 24-280VAC load range, 3-32VDC Coil, with LED - I think this might be overkill, but this is a relay for the router, this 30 dollar part cost a lot less than the relay built into the breakout board, so I am gonna open and close this relay with the breakout board and turn the router on and off from here. That way if for some reason the router blows up, and burns wire, I just replace this.

And thanks to you I just noticed that I forgot to order the jumpers and ground for my DIN rail, which is now corrected. Ahh the power of open source

ERPE2.5/41IMO DIN-Rail Terminal Block, Ground, 26 - 10AWG, 10pcs - This lets me ground the din rail its self, easy and fast.

CC2.5/101IMO Jumper Bar, 10 Pole for 2.5mm Terminal Block, 5pcs - This lets me hook the terminal blocks together and make a nice neat buss, without the need for wire nuts.

Also developing, barking dog, knock at the door, ohhh its a box! No TWO boxes!!!
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 08:03
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
Not one but two boxes full of motors!

Old Thu 10 January 2008, 08:04
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Greg,
What supplier did you order the oriental motors from? Do you have a webpage or contact info?
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 08:13
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
I hard charged on the Oriental Motors. I was talking to another company, but became impatient, and I have a severe bias against running into any resistance when on-line ordering. So I paid full price at the oriental motors website, even though I know I paid about 2x too much...
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 08:27
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

I should also add, for the extra cheap among you. I realize I can accomplish everything there with assorted sizes of wirenuts. However, I have several projects done that way, and the results will not make you proud no matter how many zip ties you use to try and make it neat and clean. Also I offer a suggestion to simulate the ~eventual~ results you will get from such a system.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

Get two butter knives, a dremmel, a drill bit. Drill holes in the handles of the knives. Randomly strip wires from your ~insert expensive component here~ and tie them to the knives. Use the cutting bit on your dremmel to file down the knives so they fit in a standard wall socket. Put a pan of water on the floor, stand in it. Grab the modified knives, one in each hand, and insert them in a standard wall socket.

Trust me, I speak from experience

and if you are humor impared, DO NOT DO THIS!!! YOU WILL DIE!
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 08:29
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
Thanks Greg

You are a fountain of knowledge. I appreciate it. I hope I don't bother you too much because I will have more questions later.

I noticed the pic of your motors. Its hard to tell, but they look like direct drive motors as opposed to geared motors.

Paul
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 08:38
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
Yup, I am going with the weaker slower system.
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 08:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
"Wirenuts" are forbidden! (that should be in the rules somewhere)

Old Thu 10 January 2008, 09:33
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
Ok, I need to head off to tool and supply, but I was looking at the PLC's they have available at factorymation. Anyone know if store, load and run gcode software is available for those that works with the gecko drives?

On Edit: spend no time on this, I am procrastinating doing my real job. Just yes or no if you have an answer...

Last edited by GregA; Thu 10 January 2008 at 09:39..
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 11:02
TheDave
Just call me: dave

Toledo (Ohio)
United States of America
GregA,

I'm a real newbie here, still just lurking and trying to decide how to convince the wife I need to build a MechMate.

But I noticed you said you're building in a warehouse in Toledo. I live in Toledo, and it turns out I spent about 6 years working in a Fab shop. I can help out with the welding if you want. The chance for me to see your machine and ask you all kinds of questions would be a great experience for me. Let me know if you're interested.
Old Thu 10 January 2008, 13:20
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
TheDave,

Done, and if it helps your marriage, for the first year at least... I will not be able to operate it full time. If you help me build it, you are more than welcome to use it any time you want( its in a warehouse so really even 3am will work ). I plan on fabricating as soon as I finish the simulator, and make the motors turn. This is entirely new to me as well, so I am having a rough time estimating the ETA(but three weeks sounds good in my mind for some reason). My email is gregalb@gmail.com
Old Fri 11 January 2008, 08:21
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
More boxes!

And their contents:
Old Fri 11 January 2008, 08:23
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
So it looks like I have enough to get started. However, I am gonna need a hole saw. More blog twitter to follow!
Old Fri 11 January 2008, 08:48
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
Also... From my day job, I need to buy a sample web page from a half a dozen or so web designers. The final project will need to be an integrated shopping cart (with both customer facing and interal management aspects)...

I realize it it a little off topic here, but if anyone would like to bid, please let me know, my email is gregalb@gmail.com
Old Mon 14 January 2008, 10:41
GregA

Dundee MI
United States of America
Yay!!! More boxes today. First is from another project, mail order bolts...

Who knew that 5/8-18 x 1.5" fully threaded bolts were a specialty item? I guess that exposes my lack of experience. Will never make a machine that requires that dimension/thread-count of bolt ever again... These suckers are not available in your local hardware store...

Second the Gecko drives have landed!! Hey look at that they even gave me a little plushie gecko

Finally, got some odds and ends from factorymation. A bag of ground terminals, and some jumpers. So completely uninteresting I will not bother posting a cell phone pic.

So today I will try and pick up a hunk of aluminum, some standoffs to hold the hunk of aluminum, and a bunch of screws to hold it all together. Perhaps I am days away from a finishedish looking control box, and Mach3 test?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read