MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 21 September 2015, 17:06
Brand9ne
Just call me: Brandon

Spokane
United States of America
Making Adjustments - Spokan, WA

Hey all, I'm brand new the forum. I have some metal fab skill and some welding skill, but this is my first CNC table. I've posted a few pictures of what I have built so far and I would love some feedback. One question I had on my table is the center of the MDF board is the same centerline as the main beam. According to the plans this shouldn't be, so I was wondering why and is it worth my time to cut my welds and move the beams?

Old Tue 22 September 2015, 02:47
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
It's only not intended to be centered to maximize your work area with the minimum size of your machine (read main beams). Main reason is your router/spindle is often mounted off-center.

If you do not need the entire work area to be as big as your mdf sheet, your already good.

I for example actually built my machine symmetrical on intent, but extended some measurement so I still have full travel over the entire mounted sheet.

I see you used L profiles, for your reinforcements, better would have been to also use tube (square or round) there.
Old Tue 22 September 2015, 09:22
Brand9ne

Spokane
United States of America
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Which measurements did you extend for full travel? I did want to be able to use the entire MDF sheet for the cutting area.
Old Wed 23 September 2015, 12:14
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
My machine uses a custom z implementation (check my build thread) so my numbers would not work for you. Check the plans or Google the forum for symmetrical table. Gerald posts on the subject as well somewhere in the table section.
Old Thu 24 September 2015, 10:37
Brand9ne

Spokane
United States of America
Thank you again for your reply Fox. I've decided I will move my main beams to the correct spots, but do you think it is an issue that I have the table legs going to the cross member and not the main beam?
Old Thu 24 September 2015, 10:59
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
In short yes. You want everything about the table as stiff as possible. Your approach is therefore not helping. Are you working of the plans?
Old Thu 24 September 2015, 11:23
Brand9ne

Spokane
United States of America
I am now, when I started I had the metal but didn't have access to the plans or the forum at the time and was going off memory. I'm going to cut all my welds and redo it right, thank you again for your help. I'll post more pictures when I have things corrected.
Old Sat 26 September 2015, 22:45
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Minor setbacks are part of the learning curve. Study the plans, it is the old adage 'measure twice, cut once'....the same is true with the plans. Most everyone has a slight modification they had to do with the plans.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read