MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 02 August 2018, 20:55
ChuckS
Just call me: Chuck #125

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
Deja Vu... Didn't I just do this?

I started MM #125 in November, 2014, and got it producing $$ Novermber of '15. Since then, I have been overwhelmed with work. I built it to make custom kayak paddles, and it is perfect for the task. A friend helped me build it, and his company needs CNC cut parts, which is keeping me more than busy. I've had 3 days off this year. My schedule should open up a bit October through December.

It's time for another CNC router. I've looked around, and I still think the MM is the best choice for me. If I build it, I can fix it, with off the shelf parts.

#126 has a PMDX 126, ESS, and is running Mach3. Mach3 is causing me issues. I have a Mach4 licence, but have been unable to have it play nice with my spindle.

I'm thinking my new machine will run UCCNC, probably with this set up (I'm open to suggestions):
https://www.cncroom.com/interface-ca...eb1tgqak7avmn6
Old Fri 03 August 2018, 21:09
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Good luck with your new build.
Cant comment on UCCNC.
I am sure someone will chime in.

I had problems with Mach 3.
I looked at Mach 4 but decided against it.
I changed over to Linux EMC and my machine has never run better.

I will find out about the spindle later this month as I have
a spindle, VFD and some energy chain on order.
Old Sat 04 August 2018, 08:36
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
Thanks Al !

I read thru your build thread and also your pdf about EMC. Nice work, and that is also a tempting system. The tipping point for me is I'm using Ger21's 2010 screen set on Mach3, which works fantastic for what I need. He has a very similar screenset for UCCNC, so I'm hoping my feeble brain has less to wrap around while changing systems.
Old Sat 04 August 2018, 19:08
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
There is a Tormach screen available for Linux.
Racedirector talked about it.
I have not installed it yet.
Must talk to my IT friend about it.
Old Sat 04 August 2018, 19:36
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
I do like the new Tormach screen...

I'm also reading about the wonders of some of the new Teknic drives. Unlike my first build, budget is not the primary decision driver this time. I need a solid, production level machine. (However, my first machine fits that description.)
Old Sat 04 August 2018, 23:36
wiifm
Just call me: Dennis

Cairns
Australia
I am looking forward to seeing your next build and any improvements you might make over the last one
Old Sun 05 August 2018, 06:11
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Nothing wrong with gmoccapy screen included with Linuxcnc if you need probing it can be added to user tabs, 5i25 and a simple 5$ BoB is all it takes to run a router very reliably.
Old Sat 11 August 2018, 04:51
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Chuck I would love to see a build based on the Acron Controller and Teknic drives. You know you may be able to do that build direct drive at first just to see how well those servos micro step. You could add belt drives after if they need more resolution.
Old Sat 11 August 2018, 06:49
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
I too would also like to see an Acorn/Teknic build, and looked at doing just that. I don't want to be the trail blazer. (OK, I want to follow others proven set ups). Except for moving to the UC300eth & UB1 motherboard, this will mostly be a larger copy of my first machine. I like having redundancy.

If I like the UC300 set up, I'llswap put the ESS in my first MM. I might also replace the current PMDX-126.

Parts are arriving, and my kitchen table project just needs a power plug to test. It's hard to believe I don't have at least one extra plug around here. Pics coming, but first I'm taking a mental health break and going sailing :-)
Old Thu 16 August 2018, 18:44
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
Parts are coming in-

Stuff received, day 1.

Day 2.

Day3.

OK, this is my other MM. I got a hold pending change order, so it's time for a new spoilboard. I glued this one on in January and I couldn't get things warm enough long enough for the glue to hold. Emergency fix was screws, which led to unhappiness. This is the first opprotunity I've had to take the machine out of service long enough to change the spoilboard.

Day 4.
https://photos.smugmug.com/MM-2018/i...175617-640.mp4
Short video of kitchen table project.

Day 5-
No pics. I'm playing with UCCNC and Ger21's 2017 Screenset. So far, so good. Limit switches, probing, etc are working as hoped.

I loaded/input my settings, and it looks like UCCNC is running much smoother than Mach3. Files are running faster, too. I hope this holds true when the actual machine is running.

LOTS more parts coming. Full speed ahead!
Old Fri 17 August 2018, 00:18
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
Nice
I am making some changes too.
Old Tue 21 August 2018, 19:15
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
I left this afternoon for a well earned respite in the north woods. I just received this message from my dad:

"Watch out when you come in the front door.
The package delivery guy DROPPED a package on the porch, (loud enough that I went to investigate the noise.)
I couldn't open the screen door because it was blocked.
I can't lift it, but I got it just inside the door (about shin high).
Check for damage when you open it.
"

I'm guessing my MM laser parts just arrived. I'll be there Tuesday. (Dad was able to move the box inside.)
Old Tue 28 August 2018, 13:59
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
My MM laser parts are here!

No damage, except the the MM stickers. I'll put my other half to work making another set with her Cricut machine.

Old Sun 03 February 2019, 11:59
Panovak
Just call me: Paul

St. Paul
United States of America
Hi there guys,
Im in the very early stages of my planning for the MM. I am a complete noob to the CNC world. Would building a machine using Acorn and ClearPath be an unwise decision for me? I have been reading a lot of very good things about both of these products. Like everyone else Id like high performance, with ease of use. Im building a 4x8 wood router. Thanks
Old Sun 03 February 2019, 13:06
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
If I was starting again today, that is what I would use. More people are using it, and seem quite happy.
Old Mon 04 February 2019, 01:55
MarkRH
Just call me: Mark

Maryland
United States of America
Chuck good to hear you keep your machine so busy you need a second. Paul, I asked that same question nov 2015 after I purchased the plans, there has been atleast one here to upgrade from steppers to clearpath. When buyingparts over last 2 yrs Complete noob to cnc like you I decided to get a cheaper stepper kit and microphone cable atleast to learn how it all works, as soon as it is finished and brings in $2500 it will be getting centroid and clearpath.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read