MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 28 November 2014, 03:57
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Robert, yes, both inlay are black walnut, I also made the guitar with a little help from Danilo's file conversion handy work. Ended up making several blank attempts out of mdf to make sure the neck and hardware all fit correctly. The customer was REALLY happy and his army buddies loved it as well.
Old Sat 06 December 2014, 16:58
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Very nice Sir.
Old Mon 19 October 2015, 06:24
pblackburn

United States of America
Any projects of inspiration lately Tom?
Old Mon 19 October 2015, 19:47
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
None really to speak of, just a few projects here and there, quick money makers. I did do a job recently that consisted of a piece of maple 1 1/2" x 3/4" x 48" that had 80 1/4" 45 degree slots 5/16" deep evenly spaced across the 3/4", 250 ct. Not at all exciting but perfect job for the MM, all repeating. Put in clamp jig, push the button, rinse and repeat The job took 4 days and netted $2.5K++. I took pics on my phone but deleted most for needed space.

How about you? Anything impressive like your last year's halloween projects?
Old Mon 19 October 2015, 19:49
pblackburn

United States of America
I am actually thinking of some ideas for this Halloween. Just got back from NYC so I am enjoying the quiet.
Old Mon 19 October 2015, 19:55
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I am planning a vanity that will have extensive 2.5d work for 100% of the face. I Will post pics of that when time completed
Old Mon 19 October 2015, 20:05
pblackburn

United States of America
I have a bunch of mirrors I need to frame. Got a bunch for free. Have the glass cutter, just never did it.
Old Wed 21 October 2015, 04:17
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I've seen several frame designs on ebay that I thought would be really nice. I think under $20, reasonable imo.
Old Thu 26 November 2015, 04:41
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
"Happy Thanks Giving" to all here in the States. Hope you can enjoy time off spent with Loved-ones and friends. Travel safely.
Old Thu 26 November 2015, 07:59
pblackburn

United States of America
Same to you and yours
Old Thu 26 November 2015, 09:54
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Happy Thanksgiving.
Old Tue 15 March 2016, 20:34
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Here comes a Drag Knife!
Old Wed 16 March 2016, 02:35
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I'll order bearings and try to cut the parts this week, if I can squeeze it in.
Old Wed 16 March 2016, 05:56
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Will be very interested Tom, I have had those plans for a while now but have never done anything with them.
Old Wed 16 March 2016, 12:39
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
The plans can easily confuse, but I've figured them out.
Old Fri 24 February 2017, 19:05
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I just realized that I haven't posted anything in almost a year, shame on me! Hope all is doing well.

Quick update, #117 running like a charm, no problems to report, no real upgrades. Did install a SSR for the BOB function lights on the control box. I've been buying a part here and there for a vacuum table when I think of it. (put that on the To Do list). I've been pulled in so many directions this year that my plans for the 4th axis has been on hold (although I have the majority of parts needed, just no time). Oh, I did add a cheapy misting nozzle to help on ali (haven't tried it yet other than set-up).

Bruce the drag knife works well but you definitely have to use the drag knife gadget in mach for thicker material. I had to make a couple of attempts to make the knife. I'll have to video it next time I use it (got a GoPro copy for Christmas)

My spare time the last couple months or so has been spent on building an 80 watt CO2 Laser to add 3D carving and etching to my arsenal. Its a stand alone unit so it won't be mounted to the router or anything (again buying and making parts as I can afford). The cool thing about it is that the things I learned while making my MM applies to it as well. The optics and the laser controls are the only real new things to learn, more about this some other time.
Old Sat 25 February 2017, 22:09
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Good to see you posting again.
Old Sun 26 February 2017, 09:42
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Yeah I didn't realize how long it had been, I do read what's going on with others but just didn't think I had anything really to say about my own stuff. I'll try harder though.
Old Sat 30 December 2017, 19:30
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
New Year's greetings to all! May your new year prosper and may you learn something new you hadn't known before. Discovery can keep your mind young.
Old Sat 30 December 2017, 20:54
Kornerking
Just call me: Pete #127

Big Falls, Mn
United States of America
Awesome to see you posting more often.

Happy New year Tom
Old Sun 31 December 2017, 05:48
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Pete. I haven't really posted as promised but I have been watching regularly.
Old Mon 12 March 2018, 10:53
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Update: I run my Mechmate regularly. Still runs strong and accurate. I've given so thought to what I would do to improve it (IMHO).

First would be linear bearings (expensive but probably worth it) I like the belt drive but I'd consider opting for screw drive like the big boys.

My mechmate is a foot wider than most so there's a bit more flex (not much but I know its there) especially when cutting metals, some of that flex is in the table which I would also change a bit more beefy. Instead of 50mm x 100mm C channel I'd opt for 50-75mm x 150mm tube and more of them. Don't get me wrong, my machine does not shake at all in rapid direction changes, I've got nearly 2200 lbs of steel there. Not sure what can be done for the gantry.

I would like to change to servos, those clearpath servo/driver combos are sweet.

I also would update the computer side, controller, software, etc. Not that what I have doesn't work well, at the time I really went with the best I could afford (LOL, and understand)

Understand I am not complaining, this has been an excellent design that Gerald and the gang forged for us all. The design had the right level of skill requirements for me at the time. I was lucky to run across this site, and I took the risk as many have to invest time and resources in to it and this machine has paid for itself time and time again. Not everyone's does but mine has and still kicks ass!

These are just personal wants and wishes, and eventually I will make those changes just as soon as I finish my CO2 laser (which I've been talking about for some time) that I slowly work on every now and then.

Anyone else have wants/needs?
Old Mon 12 March 2018, 11:50
pblackburn

United States of America
Servos would be nice but without the tie in to correct the error versus the software readout, it is an expense that really is not needed. Give me the software that takes the encoder readout and corrects the position. I am on board.
Old Mon 12 March 2018, 13:05
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Yep that's what I'm all about.
Old Wed 21 March 2018, 19:43
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
That would be Linuxcnc software.
Old Wed 21 March 2018, 20:54
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
You are probably right. However it has been a century since I’ve used Unix let alone Linux (well maybe a half century) and I know absolutely that it is stable as heck, but I’ve gotten so far away from it... my son keeps telling me that I need to change as well...
Old Wed 21 March 2018, 21:15
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Currently I’m standing at my MM #117drawing my next project, trying to get ready for the next job tomorrow. I really enjoying my machine...Time for a beer and call it a night.
Old Fri 23 March 2018, 06:37
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
Good to know other people stand in the shop late at night near midnight and ponder the next day, as well.
Old Fri 23 March 2018, 07:17
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Too much pondering, I find myself sketching out new ideas too many times while I should be productive. I must have 45-50 notebooks of ideas (probably more) and the details of components for those ideas. I do come up with seriously good ones every now and then though.
Old Fri 13 September 2019, 03:19
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Where is everybody? Quiet in here...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read