MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 05 December 2007, 17:11
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
When my feed speed and spindle RPM are 'right on', the cutting sounds like someone is tearing paper. When I hear that sound, I know that everything is running perfectly. Almost always when I hear that sound, I also have large heathy looking chips.
Old Wed 05 December 2007, 20:06
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
allot like drilling metal. Those long spiral slices let you know that the pressure is just right.

Geez, I can't wait to start making wood chips I'm 60 to 90 days away. My buddy that's making the rails will have them done this Sunday. Only charging me 1/2 a new cutting bit.
Old Thu 06 December 2007, 04:22
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg, is he milling the rails?
Old Thu 06 December 2007, 05:42
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Nils,

I cut one leg of the 2.5 inch x 2.5 inch x 1/4 inch [63.5mm x 63.5 mm x 6.35 mm] angle down to 1.00 inch [25.4 mm] with my steel cutting saw. Very easy.

My buddy will machine the 45 degree edges with his end mill.
Old Sun 16 December 2007, 05:33
zetacnc
Just call me: Fabio

Atibaia
Brazil
Hello MM fans,

Last week I faced a new challenge: The machine was loosing "altiture".

During a cut, the "Z" axis move down a little - maybe one or two steps down at each program line...

Also, I noted that when I tryed to jog (i'm using Turbocnc on pure DOS), when one axis is moving (any axis), other axis (not only the "Z") suffer a kind os "flickering" (sorry - don't know the rigth word in English)

I verified if there is some trouble with the pneumatic spring, but there was no problems, because my spring is a little "positive", sending the entire spindle plate in up direction...

Than the second providence was test and review all grounding arround entire machine, but everything was Ok...

Then I remember Gerald saying that VFD together with drivers and BOB will bring troubles, but this behaviour occur even with VDF turned Off!!!

The next step in direction to discover the problem, I tryed to loose the tension springs of all four motors and "disconect" the gear from the rack, and the problem gone!

Well, I said, the thing is a kind of poor grounding (or even some troubles in earthing), and revised all eathing and grounding again, and even created a new earthing pole (sorry again) in another place far from the first one, but look what I discover:

With all gears not in contact with their racks, I stated do place first Z axis back to the original place, and test the movement - no interference, then "Y" axis and again no interference and then one of the "X" motors and again no interference, but when i just "touched" the last "X" axis gear against rack, that vibration appeared again!!!

I tried to change the order of reposition the motors, but the problem repeated when i touched the last motor in it's rack, and mainly in "X" axis...

After two days trying everything I know and I became very disapóinted because the problem persisted, I decided to remove the electric pannel from it's position - fixed below the table near the front of the machine - because I was ready to dismantle every electric/electronic connection and redo all again to see if it's a short of something like - and for my surprise, the problem dissappeared!!!

Yes - all that stange behavior completelly dissapeared when the electric pannel wass removed from contact with the machine chassis...

I tryed to touch the pannel in the chassis, and the problem appeared again.

I want to hear from you what you think about this, but I have my conclusions:

- When the pannel was bolted under the table, the mechanical vibration from the movements made some interference over the electronic driver boards;

- When the pinions just touch the racks, steel vs steel frictioning one against other generate a kind of "electric noise", but the most impressive is even with grounding the racks, the problem persist...

Now the pannel was fixed in the wall nex the machine, and no more problems!

Last edited by zetacnc; Sun 16 December 2007 at 05:37..
Old Tue 01 January 2008, 08:47
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
HI Zeta,

Whats happening with ur machine, any more troubles which u have overcome?

RGDS
IRfan
Old Tue 01 January 2008, 10:09
zetacnc

Atibaia
Brazil
Hello Irfan,

Yes - I had problems due to vibrations and perhaps some "electric noise" caused by steel against steel pieces, but aparently solved when I installed the Electric Panel in the wall - it was in direct contact with the machine structure...

Now the machine is working very very fine, and I'm very happy with the professional looking results...

Some time ago I was preocuped with the spindle motor temperature, but I solved just touching up some configurations in inverter programing, and now the temperature is stable in near 65 degrees Celcius...

Now I must find time to cut some "MECHMATE" logo !!!

Have a nice New Year!!!
Old Tue 01 January 2008, 11:54
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Old-newbie questions ?

Hi Fabio,
All the best & health to you & love ones for this new year !
I bow to your work, nice & clean.
Have you ever fiddle with making CNC before?

Few newbie (never built one YET! ) question, if I may !?
I’ve been lurking from the back ground on & off for too long ( give & take 2yrs), now I’ve taking the “new year resolution by the horns” and kick my self to go with it this year, busy or not with work !! ( Being a self employed woodworker in business, woodworking is not the best revenue business but heck… I’m VERY passionate about it.
One of my best moto is : Wood not live with out Wood !!
So… Questions :
A - May you tell me more about your controllers & BOB as they seem different than the PMDX & other I’ve seen & flirt with?
B – I’m interested to learn more about your spindle choice.
Why TecMaf… less expensive than the classic Penske, Colombo, Elte and HSD to name a few !!
Or simply because their made in your country !?
Do you fell confidant to this point with it ?
I've notice you selected the 900watts – 1.2cv. Not that bigger is always better…but why not just a tab more… like their 2CV or 4CV ??

Thanks in advance for your time to my new(old) quest !
Amicalement, Robert
Old Tue 01 January 2008, 12:22
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Fabio ,

happy new year to u too!

Regards
Irfan
Old Sat 05 January 2008, 04:23
zetacnc

Atibaia
Brazil
Robert,

I studied Precision Mechanics and even being a Toolmaker for some 10 years I worked as system integrator for a company that sells cnc machines for the garment industry, and my function was to install and teach complete production systems for new customers...
My experience in cnc is not too much, and in a very small toolroom I made some automatic dispositives and very small cnc routers for PCB milling.

Now for your questions:
That drivers are very simple bipolar ones only capable to make half steps and to deal with 3,5A maximum.
They are based on the pair "L297/L298" IC from ST microelectronics...
The BOB is eigther a very simple opto isolated unit with no "charge pump" circuitry but with 3 relays.
Those boards are some of the commercial options made here in Brazil - For me is very difficult to buy things like Geckos and any other foreign products...

For us is there a lot of taxes and customs barreers, and importing goods are very expensive...

Now for the spindle, the choice on Tecmaf was based after some searching in the market and for my surprise I discovered that is very difficult to find vendors or sales representatives for known brands like Colombo or Elte, and with my difficults to buy imported materials it was a natural way to use a national brand and of course prices - a good amount less if compared to an imported unit...

I don't know Penske and HSD...

The only I found here was "Elte", but the prices was very high and there is no technical support...
I must confess that I don't have experience in woodworking, and for me 1,2CV is a lot of power if I compare to my 3/4 CV Bridgeport knee milling machine...

Ok - I know it's different to use direct drive but the work is ligth and I'm very impressed with the motor...
The machine is doing simple cuts and carving relief in MDF and soft wood, like insignias and letterings...

I believe that if the necessity is heavy cuts with wide tools and deep passes, 1,2CV is not too much, but I can change to another motor with more power....

I hope I understood all your questions and answered well!

Regards,
Fabio
Old Sat 05 January 2008, 07:32
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Fabio,
You understood & answered very well !!
Thank you very much for your time to explain your set up and sorry to learn importing goods for you is a complex & expensive route, limiting you of a faire price on lots of what the world as to offer/available !!
Wishing you all the best with your beast !
Amicalement, Robert
Old Sun 23 March 2008, 08:58
lolata
Just call me: Sr

Sorocaba / São Paulo
Brazil
Parabens pela maquina Fabio, eu não tinha visto essas fotos, a maquina ficou um Show.
Old Fri 28 March 2008, 12:28
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Gear info ?!

Hi Fabio,

May I be audacious and ask you to tell/share more on the how you did & conceive you motor gear belt reduction system ?
I’ve gone through your personal pages, read post 3, got the pics from #1 & #19 but for me, I’m still in the dark as to how you built them ! Never done any but would very much like to give it a try. I’m daring to ask “Better yet, any plans & parts list ? “

From what I can understand there are some advantages to make your own “gear system” vs buying one that is part of the motor as many do to keep it simple The KISS approach !!!
I‘ve read many sources say it can be an advantage & flexible if ever needing for some better resolution or speed !!
But, with this in mind, I can’t seem to see how you kept it all in a close confined mater and with what type bearing/bushing on the shafts & how they stay/hold from the alu plate to shaft ?
Thanks for considering !
Robert
Old Sat 29 March 2008, 06:18
zetacnc

Atibaia
Brazil
Lolata,

Obrigado pelo elogio, realmente, ficou muito boa...
Old Sat 29 March 2008, 07:19
zetacnc

Atibaia
Brazil
Hello Robert,

Well, the idea to build my own belt reduction was born when i tried to search already made reductions for stepper motors, or even motors with gear reduction like those from Vexta that are used by a lot of people here (in forum)...

As I told before, Brazil is not so good to find these kind of products, and importing taxes are very high...

I used as a starting point the original pieces (M5 10 312 and M5 10 322 motor swing plates) and imagined how to place one big aluminium 72 teeth XL belt gear as driven gear and a small steel 20 teeth XL belt gear as driver gear mounted on motor axis...
I also bougth a XL size belt (sorry don't remember correct length size), calculated the center distance between gears and started scatching some ideas.

The reduction is made basicalliy by two steel 10mm plates (but you can use aluminium) separated by 3 small collumns.

The final design is attached in DFX format - sorry if they are incomplet, but I asure you it's possible do build funtioning unit from them...

Each main axis, as I named the axis that the big 72 T gears is mounted is a 12mm diameter steel axis mounted on two 6001 ball bearigs.

Each bearing is press fit in a recess made in each plate as you can see in drawings, and there are two thin spacers between gear and plates (one each side) to maintain gear centered and not touching plates...

I then milled a flat recess in the shaft and installed a Allen screw to block the gear in the shaft.

The main shaft is protuding to one side to allow the module 1,5 pinion to be fixed with two allen screws (in milled recesses)...

In the plate where the motor is fixed, I milled a kind of recess to allow the motor slide in and out to adjust belt tension...

If you note in drawing, the width of the recess is smaller than the front of a NEMA 34 motor, and because this I milled two paralell flats in the motor front cover plate (without dismantling it! ) - (sorry I don't have photos).

The homemade reduction was them assembled over bench and then easily assembled in machine the same way the original one is mounted...

beltreduction.zip
reductionphotos.zip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4681.JPG (38.6 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4685.JPG (39.7 KB, 334 views)
Attached Files
File Type: dxf placax.dxf (47.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: dxf placaz.dxf (44.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by MetalHead; Tue 13 July 2010 at 05:54.. Reason: Added Pictures
Old Sat 29 March 2008, 08:23
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Fabio…the Fabiolous !!! < :0))

This is very well and superbly explained. It is very motivating & inspirering for me.
I’m no genius when it comes to metal working, I’m a meticulous custom & studio furniture maker.
Love Metal working, but do not practice nor do much, so… I’m not inclined to see those little things that may be obvious to others.
Thank for showing the way on this one to me… I owe you one
Robert
Old Sat 29 March 2008, 14:41
zetacnc

Atibaia
Brazil
Robert,

Please, feel free to ask me any other detail that interest you.

I'll be glad to help someone else...

Best regards,

Fabio
O.T:
I don't know if you know this, but i'm very impressed with the detail:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=kvHYaR...eature=related
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=GK5_Bl...eature=related
Old Mon 12 July 2010, 23:46
NELSON
Just call me: NELSON

BAHIA
Brazil
montar machmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetacnc View Post
Dave,
I believe these motors are based on a famous Italian brand named Elte.

The manufacturer is named "Tecmaf", and attached is a PDF doc with some motor specs...(model TMM-10-0110)

It's my first buy from this manufacturer, and i opted to buy it based on the fact that is a local manufacturer (guarantee, pieces and maintenance) even if the price is a little bit high - equivalent to US$850,00

Gerald,
I believe that WEG is the biggest electric motor and electric components manufacturer here in Brazil, and probably in South America!

Is also my first choice when ii think in electric motors...

Leandro,

Nice to see you here too!
oi amigo eu sou da Bahia brasil como faça para adquirir peças cortadas eu tombem quero montar minha maquina machmate
Old Tue 13 July 2010, 00:37
NELSON
Just call me: NELSON

BAHIA
Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldorta View Post
Hi Fabio... welcome to the mechmate forum too...
It's good to see that there are more people in Brazil building the mechmate.

Leandro
oi amigo entrei no forum e gostaria de ter instrução de como conseguir planos de corte para construir minha machmate

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts