MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 09 July 2009, 20:52
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Steel Parts Calculator Spreadsheet

Here is an Excel Workbook that I did to identify and keep track of the steel for the base table and the gantry and the laser cut parts. It has three tabs: one for Laser cut parts, one for Base Table parts and one for Gantry parts (other than those included in the Laser cut parts spreadsheet.)

The Base Table and gantry sheets are set up to adjust the lengths for many of the pieces to accommodate the size of the final cutting area. Just put your own X and Y values into the correct cells and the spreadsheet will make the changes. Sorry it is all in inches but it can easily be modified to metric if you need it.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed on the forum. I am looking forward to the build.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: zip OptionSchedule_PriceList.zip (13.3 KB, 541 views)
Old Thu 09 July 2009, 21:02
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks Joe!

Other folk must bear in mind that I havn't checked it for accuracy. As with any list published here, everyone must do their own checking. Please report back if you feel that something needs changing.
Old Thu 09 July 2009, 22:31
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
One tip; When you cut your angles, don't do as I did. I need (2) 10' long rails and (2) 6' long ones for the gantry. Angle iron comes in 20' pieces.

Don't cut it in half. I was trying to be cheap (naturally) and I wanted my scrap t be one contiguous piece. During grinding, to accommodate the travel of the grinding skate, the six footers need to be about 7 1/2 feet long and the 10 footers about 11 1/2 feet long.

I knew this, but I was thinking I could tack weld the cut-offs from the gantry rails to the table rails to support the skate. For a variety of reasons, I don't think that's going to work as I intended. I'll make it work, but it's unnecessarily difficult.

Unlike me, It's probably obvious to you, but since your table is about the same size as mine, be sure to cut one gantry rail and one table rail from each 20' stick.

Last edited by lumberjack_jeff; Thu 09 July 2009 at 22:34..
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 09:36
jehayes

United States of America
That's a good tip. The spreadsheet shows the "Raw" lengths and the "Finished" lengths for those pieces (X and Y rail angles) for that reason. It makes sense to get one of each out of a 20' pieces.
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 19:01
jehayes

United States of America
Updated Spreadsheet

Attached is an updated version of the Steel Parts Calculator spreadsheet. I had failed to include part 10 20 235 (Y rail clamp strip). It has now been added to the gantry parts tab.

The prices indicated are just what I have been quoted but I pass them along for your information.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OptionSchedule_PriceList (2).zip (15.5 KB, 483 views)
Old Wed 12 January 2011, 20:29
joecnc1
Just call me: Joe

berkeley heights nj
United States of America
Joe,
the spreadsheet is really helpful, Thank you for sharing it-Joe
Old Wed 12 January 2011, 23:35
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Just a note: I bought steel for clamp strips. After I cut down the angle for my rails I had a few more strips suitable for y-clamp strips!
Old Fri 14 January 2011, 16:43
jehayes

United States of America
Red: You're right. I should have noted that the cut-offs from the rails make perfect clamp strips, no need to buy them separately.
Old Tue 25 January 2011, 20:23
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Here's another use I found for the rail cut-offs (I ended up with 10m of the stuff!)

Replaces the round rod. Not as stiff as a rod, but should be fine for carrying the cable chain.

Last edited by Red_boards; Tue 25 January 2011 at 20:25..
Old Wed 26 January 2011, 08:08
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Looks like what I did for all 3 of the machines we built. 1" x 1/4" flat bar (or the drop off of the rail cut down)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read