MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 14 December 2011, 16:39
customcarves
Just call me: Jason

PEI
Canada
Build list?

Hi,

I currently have a Castcnc wood router with a cutting area of 53" x 100" and am wanting to start another build this winter. (something smaller for more 3d work, etc)

Is there a build list available for the mechmates?

Thanks!
Old Wed 14 December 2011, 17:38
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
Hello Jason,
No there isn't a build list, i think most people make a spread sheet and study the plans to make a list - thats what i did, it isn't hard.

Anthony
Old Wed 14 December 2011, 17:47
customcarves

PEI
Canada
Thanks

Been looking at some builds and from what i see its really straight forward.

Thinking out loud here..

The "kit" comes with all the bent parts that I provide the square tubing for?

Does the angle iron on the rails really need to be grinded down to fit the V bearings? My current machine, within a few hours of use had perfectly V rails from the weight of the gantry. (but I had a bearing with another angle iron on the bottom pulling down too, so that likely helped).

After reading more, I think it would be possible to build a table and have the router in the middle like it is currently on the mechmates but attach another mount at the front for a plasma attachment. Any reason why this wouldnt work?

The table could be zero'ed to either the router or the plasma depending on what you were working on.

It would save me from wanting to build another machine down the road if I can make the mechmate do both lol

For my last build I bought the 4 axis Nema 23 set with the G540 so likely would do the same this time since I am familar with them.

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=75{10}20

Thanks,
Jason
Old Wed 14 December 2011, 18:02
customcarves

PEI
Canada
Attached is a few pictures of my current CNC the way the bearings have molded the angle iron into shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (33.6 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (21.4 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (27.7 KB, 587 views)
Old Wed 14 December 2011, 18:27
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
Jason,
I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

The kit comes with laser cut and bent parts. You need to purchase C channel, RHS and angle iron.
Yes, I would think grinding the rails is necessary the laser cut kit comes with an adapter to mount your grinder to get the angles correct.
I currently have router at one end and plasma/flame cutter at the other so it is possible.
NMEA 24 motors what size? direct drive? reduction box/belt?

The problem with running router/plasma on the same machine is they require different torque and acceleration rates. A router needs lots of torque to push the bit though the wood and acceleration is not as critical (4WD/SUV) where a plasma needs speed and fast acceleration so that corner speed doesn't drop off causing dross on the underside of the part (sports car).

Some one else might be able to explain the last parragraph better.

Anthony
Old Wed 14 December 2011, 18:38
customcarves

PEI
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadro View Post
Jason,
I'll do my best to answer all your questions.
Thanks

Quote:

The kit comes with laser cut and bent parts. You need to purchase C channel, RHS and angle iron.
Yes, I would think grinding the rails is necessary the laser cut kit comes with an adapter to mount your grinder to get the angles correct.
Ah ok.

Quote:
I currently have router at one end and plasma/flame cutter at the other so it is possible.

Great to hear it can be done.
Quote:

NMEA 24 motors what size? direct drive? reduction box/belt?
380 oz motors. They have the belt driven 3:1 belt reduction (2.73:1 with 22 tooth pulley).

I dont push my machine at all. I run at a steady 100 Inch Per Minute cutting. Slow but steady

I imagine the plasma would need to go a lot faster to insure clean cuts.

Quote:
Some one else might be able to explain the last parragraph better.

Anthony

Understood perfectly.. So I could have 2 profiles setup in Mach3, One with the motors set up at different speeds I think.

Thanks for your help

Jason
Old Thu 15 December 2011, 07:08
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum. As a minor style point, we generally avoid using quotes whenever possible here, since the original material is usually just above anyway.

I'm a little curious as to why you want a "smaller" machine for 3d work. MechMates are usually built to about the same scale as your CastCNC, and have been used for both large and small 2d and 3d workpieces. Is there something that you hope to improve on from your current machine? Speed? Accuracy? Stiffness? Portability?

Out of curiosity, how quickly can your NEMA 23 based machine make rapid, non-cutting moves?

Others have observed that plasma cutting and wood cutting modes can conflict with each other a bit - one with a dirty wet environment, and one with a dusty flammable environment. If you are going to have two machines, why not have one for each function rather than an extensive switchover?
Old Thu 15 December 2011, 07:36
customcarves

PEI
Canada
Hi Brad,

Yes, looking for a smaller footprint and more portable machine. I am thinking about leaving the smaller one at work. This past summer, I was only home about 5 minutes a day just long enough to check on things. If I was able to build a smaller one, that would allow me to bring it with me to work. I love having the large one for when I need to cut a 4x8 sheet, but 99% of my work is within the first 2 feet of my table.

Rapid moves -? you mean by jogging?

I see what you mean about messy enviroments.
Old Thu 15 December 2011, 10:45
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
I don't think we've yet seen a highly portable MechMate, although we've certainly seen one transported with a tow truck. Typically, they're built with a 4'x8' cutting envelope inside a 6'x10' footprint, with a weight of 1,000 pounds. So you could perhaps shrink down to something with the portability of a good cabinet saw - small truck, skids, three friends, case o' beer.

If you do go small, you may want to have the gantry be the longer axis, as you could transfer it to a larger table in the future.

I was asking about your jogging speed. We typically use small Nema34 motors, and can rapid at 400-1000 IPM depending on motor and gearing choices. It would nice to have a datapoint from some larger Nema23 motors on a similar machine.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read