MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 28 February 2020, 15:57
Panovak
Just call me: Paul

St. Paul
United States of America
Bowed I Beam!!

Ok. So I made a rookie mistake today. Since I am using an I beam for my main beams I decided to cut out the inner top flange. (I did this to make my table larger. I figured it would be an easy way to add 4 inches of width.) However, the result created a bow in my beam! Its about an 1/8 of an inch at the apex. Because my cross bracing is butted into the beam it didnt effect the other parts of the beam.
Very bummed about it. The beams were perfect. This project is my first time working with metal so I didnt realize all the internal forces involved.
My machine will have linear rails instead of the v rollers so I had planned to use the overhang from the i beam for placing my rack.
Will this bow be an issue? If so what is the best way to fix it? I remember reading a post where Gerald showed placing welds on the inside to pull a beam back. I also thought I could set a straight edge a grind it flat.
Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

Ill post my google photos bucket link if you want to see images.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/th6rUqavMVn2GkNa9

Last edited by Panovak; Fri 28 February 2020 at 16:00..
Old Fri 28 February 2020, 20:47
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
Don't grind it... It will only release more stresses... Welding it is the best answer and then just light grinding to touch it up.
Old Mon 02 March 2020, 15:13
bachaabdelkabir
Just call me: Abdelkabir

Casablanca
Morocco
Hi

I don't think it would be a problem. You just need to be careful when placing the linear rails and you should leave some clearance with more the 1/8 inch for mounting the racks.

Good luck
Old Tue 03 March 2020, 06:03
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Research beam straightening. You can weld beads the will pull the bow out. But that small amount may pull out when you weld up the whole table
Old Tue 03 March 2020, 09:32
Panovak

St. Paul
United States of America
Thanks guys for the replies. I have plan to straighten it using a welder. I found Gerald's and others old discussion regarding this.
Mike the table is already fully welded in those pictures.
Super excited to get the cut and bent kit from you!
Thanks
Old Wed 04 March 2020, 11:47
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Your gonna run guides correct? You may not need to do anything to your base table. Parts in route.
Old Wed 04 March 2020, 13:02
Panovak

St. Paul
United States of America
Yes. I'm going to pour leveling epoxy on my beams then place linear rails. Super excited to get yours parts Mike. Thanks!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read