MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > Graphics & CAD
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 20 October 2016, 00:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Does a generic freeware replacement for AutoCAD exist yet?

Hi Guys

Greetings from the land of the lazy . . . . it is now really time to hang up the hat and quit my day job in the waste industry. Looking forward to my last daily commute of 60 miles and just pottering about from home. (turned 61 this year). Looking for stuff to keep me occupied, and CAD from home is definitely on the cards. But I won't pay for AutoCAD. (yes, I know it can be copied *free* but want to consider legal options available today). I might run classes for the older guys in my neighborhood who want to convert from pencil to CAD and that must be on a CAD system than can be publically advertised and endorsed. (Our city now requires building plans to be submitted electronically and that has caught the older architects on the wrong foot)

So, are there any generic freeware AutoCAD lookalikes out there today? (I still only work in 2D with very basic commands - which is fine for teaching newbies to CAD)
Old Thu 20 October 2016, 00:21
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
This one comes to mind.
Never used it though

http://www.sketchup.com/

Some on here to look at
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/free-cad-software/

Last edited by lonestaral; Thu 20 October 2016 at 00:25.. Reason: Add other link
Old Thu 20 October 2016, 01:55
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Draftsight is free as an Autocad replacement, used it for a while until I got a free licence for Autocad 2016. Also, while not CAD per se Fusion 360 is a great tool to creating stuff in plus it has CAM features as well.

Enjoy your retirement Sir, you have well earned it.
Old Thu 20 October 2016, 18:01
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Yes, Draftsight has been the most recommended AutoCAD clone for several years now.
Old Fri 21 October 2016, 00:20
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks guys

Posting here has brought back lots of memories!
Old Sat 22 October 2016, 00:12
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Hello Gerald !! Hope all is well.

I have used and like solid edge 2D.

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.c...d-edge/free2d/
Old Mon 24 October 2016, 06:11
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Had a look at SolidEdge 2D, very nice, Parametric too! Have downloaded it to give it a go for basic Cad duties, Thx Mike!
Old Tue 25 October 2016, 15:27
sphericos
Just call me: David

Suffolk
United Kingdom
I will add another vote for draftsight. I did CAD design on ACAD starting at version 8 and stopped using it altogether sometime around version 14. The think I really like about draftsight is it's command compatability with ACAD. All the single letter shortcuts I used to use in ACAD work in draftsight. The only real weakness it has is it does not have any proper 3d capability but for 2d drafting I have found it the most productive solution for me.
Old Wed 26 October 2016, 23:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I am being stumped by a well-known registration problem for DraftSight 16. See:
https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/84937
Old Thu 27 October 2016, 05:09
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Gerald - Do you have your PC set to allow pop-ups for that site?
Old Thu 27 October 2016, 05:10
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
If your setting this up on a laptop, try going to another location. ISP may be blocking something.
Old Thu 27 October 2016, 13:10
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Popups are off, privacy is off, location enabled. At 2 different computers at 2 sites with 2 ISPs.
Old Fri 28 October 2016, 11:30
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Hello Gerald, welcome back plus happy retirement, have a look at Delta Cad @30 USD
Old Fri 28 October 2016, 13:13
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I like that DraftSight, set to Classic mode, gives me the same look and feel as AutoCAD. Having used AutoCAD daily for about 30 years, I use it without thinking. I have successfully taught AutoCAD to many people, but it isn't an affordable system out here where minimum wage is about $4 an hour. I can teach AutoCAD, or an exact equivalent . . . . I don't want to learn another CAD just for the sake of teaching it.
Old Fri 28 October 2016, 15:45
sphericos

Suffolk
United Kingdom
I have used draftsight for a few years and never had an activation issue but there are a couple of things that come to mind and may be worth trying if you have not already.
1) Turn of the windows firewall if on whilst trying to activate.
2) Make sure the user you are logged in as has full admin rights.
Old Sat 05 November 2016, 09:17
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
I started with Autocad however now I do everything in Rhino. Easy to pick up if you already know Autocad and it can export to most of the known popular most expensive systems. I bought it straight from McNeel however it can be gotten for less from distributors like Novedge.
Old Fri 28 April 2017, 00:13
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
You should look at http://freecadweb.org/
Old Sun 30 April 2017, 05:39
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You should also look at Fusion 360

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Web based and free to most users
Old Tue 04 June 2019, 05:54
shambu31
Just call me: shambhavi

Pune
India
Thanks for the links...!!
Old Tue 09 July 2019, 13:57
sphericos

Suffolk
United Kingdom
Hi, I just thought I would update this as I used to use Draftsight for 2d CAD but due to a change in their license policy it is no longer going to be free and will no longer activate once the current year expires. I liked it as it was simple to use and command compatible with AutoCad, it felt similar to Acad 12 but with only limited 3d capability.

I am now using nanoCAD and I am quite impressed it is lightweight and not cloud based. I use Fusion 360 and sketchup but sometimes I want a simple drawing and dimensioning tool that does not need to talk to a server in another country. It is also command compatible with Autocad so if you are used to one letter shortcuts they still work.
Old Thu 11 July 2019, 14:20
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Hey Fellas's
I highly recommend Draftsight!
https://www.3ds.com/products-service...ad-draftsight/

I use it daily. Also has a gcode plugin for those interested.
Old Thu 11 July 2019, 14:48
sphericos

Suffolk
United Kingdom
Yes I liked Draftsight too but as I mentioned the free version has been cancelled and will no longer work after this year. The cheapest version they have is £79 per year if you want the g code plugin it is £159 per year. Fusion 360 is free for a lot of people does 3d and gcode and so there is not much incentive to buy draftsight.

If you want an autocad clone 2d CAD package that works offline though nanocad looks hard to beat right now.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read